So will directX 12 make enthusiast chips finally better for gaming ?

Droodey

I've read that directx 12 will may make games utilize all cores on a cpu. If so will enthusiast chips now be worth buying for gaming only machines ?

I have no idea.

Let us benchmark then as soon as we can and find out!

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I think DX12 shows many possibilities, but has not proven that it can deliver on any of them. I think it's best to wait and see what happens instead of building a machine based on what we assume DX12 will do.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It'll take a couple of years before it's mainstream..

Hopefully but it will depend on how game developers implement it. We will only know for sure once DX12 games start coming out. If it does work out that way then current FX CPUs would be not as bad of a choice either.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Only time can answer that :D Personally I'd love to see how DX12 will help out the budget/mainstream gaming area more than the high-end/extreme one

Spoiler

I've read somewhere that if DX12 gets wildly adopted and implemented on games, any CPU with 6-cores will greatly benefit (price:performance.)

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

It'll take a couple of years before it's mainstream..

When 4K screens become mainsteam too...

the more people are recording video in UHD the more there will be a need to edit larger files the more mainsteam computers that could require uprating...

a rolling tumbleweed kind of effect!

A reasonable example would be the Sony Z3 flagship phone camera that is capable of shooting a 20 second video at its highest capture rate that has a file size of 132Mb (3840×2160 pixels at 30 frames per second)

Source:- PhotographyBLOG : Sony Xperia Z3 Review

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

We don't know, but it's very unlikely. A 4690k is already fast enough to get very high framerates at 1080p (with the right gpu) and above that there's a lot more load on the gpu(s) than on the cpu, so it doesn't matter.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I had thought that the new APIs were supposed to move more of the dependency to the GPU instead of relying on the CPU so much.

I've read that directx 12 will may make games utilize all cores on a cpu. If so will enthusiast chips now be worth buying for gaming only machines ?

DirectX 12 allows for more draw calls meaning it allows for more content to be displayed on your screen without impacting performance. It also unlocks low level hardware access, thus better access to CPU cores, RAM etc.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

No. DX12 and Vulkan will make all CPUs better for gaming. This reduces the need for a high end CPU. That's what happened with Mantle games, it helped in situations of CPU bottleneck.

Now once DX12 and Vulkan become more common than DX11 (don't know how long that will take) there is a chance that developers will start using that left over CPU power to do other stuff such as AI and physics. Which they cannot do on DX11 because the CPUs are already working hard to keep the GPUs fed. But that's just worthless speculation on my part.

What we know for sure is that existing CPUs will perform a bit better and there will be less stuttering caused by momentary CPU bottlenecks. So Intel's entire range of CPUs will benefit. But it will be more beneficial for AMD's current range of CPUs because they have weaker single threaded performance and stand to benefit more from multi-threading and low overhead. That doesn't mean they can start beating Intel but it does mean they will bottleneck a lot less when paired with high end GPUs.

The reason this does not make enthusiast chips better for gaming is that the CPU only needs to be fast enough to not bottleneck the GPU. Once you have crossed that thresh-hold you are totally GPU bound. After that point adding more cores or more MHz doesn't increase fps. If anything it will make the midrange chips more efficient and perform closer to the enthusiast chips.

The true is: We don't know! Until we have tests on real world... we can only speculate.

My bet is... if you have the money, it will still worth. But... I think middle end machines will benefit the most.

Currently on an overclocked 3960x at 4.6ghz

x2 7 series nvidia vid cards OC on the water loop as well.

ocz revodrive 3 x2

16 gig 1600mhz ram

on the top x79 g1 board

I've decided to buy a maxed out x99 system then,  

5960x

G1 Gigabyte board

x2 G1 8gb 980 Ti's

x32 gig gskill 2800 DD4

x1 intel 750 PCIE 400gb

x4 ssd raid 550 write

on a custom loop

I figure with skylake coming out, soon, and then PCIE 4 coming out in 2017, thats basically 2 new motherboards in 2 years so I figure Ill max out an x99 system to get me through the next 3-4 years.  Im not rich but I have no problem affording parts so price i'snt really a problem. Or should I wait for skylake, Leaked results show it not to be to special though.

It will not make existing games use more cores than they were designed to use in the first place. Developers coding a new game have the option to use any/all/none of the features of the DirectX version they are targeting, so a new version of DirectX will not have a retroactive effect on games designed primarily for DX11. A development team creating a new game for DirectX 12 may have more tools to make multi-threading easier and more efficient compared to DX11, but it's still up to them to decide if their game needs that feature and if it's worth spending the resources to implement it.

As is usually the case with new DirectX versions, games are often sluggish to implement new features. Developers have to continue to target the largest installed user base, and only a few relatively high-end cards available today have full support for DX12. Remember it's really only in the last year or three that we've started seeing widespread adoption of DirectX 11 and the disappearance of DX9 backwards compatibility. DirectX 12 may mean games begin to use more cores eventually, but probably over the course of a few years—but then, we know that would probably happen anyway.

Looks like Linus has the same idea as me. Max out a 5960 build to get over the next couple of years. Cant wait for PCIE 4, I think that will be the next major upgrade for us, double the current bandwidth. I honestly don't think cpu advances  will do much for us any more except force us to change chipsets. Moores law is slowing down now. I hope I'm alive to play a quantum gaming machine when they exist. Imagine a quantum powered gpu.