980 coil whine, rma?

sebRR

I just built my first pc two days ago and the moment loaded up a game I was greeted with glorious coil whine from my gigabyte GTX980 G1, from my experience the whine occurs when the card goes above 140fps or so, at 1080p the 980 can quite easily achieve this kind of fps.

I was wondering if this is enough of an problem to get the card replaced , also would the Australian consumer law force gigabye to give me a replacement as technically it is defective.

Thanks for helping out.

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, Kingston Hyper X fury 16GB, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Cooler Master Hyper 212x, NZXT Noctis 450, Samsung 850 EVO 128GB + WD caviar blue 1TB, EVGA 750W G2. 

coil whine isn't a defect.

why do people insist that they should RMA over coilwhine? it's simply the quality of the components that are in the card. (shitty caps, etc.)

don't RMA, just #dealwithit

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

All fans have some degree of coil whine. How bad is it?

In theory you could RMA it, but you'd have to check the store's policy (they might end up sending it back to you).

It might be just another case of lube it up. WD40 is your friend.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Coil Whine is normal. They probably won't take it.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

In theory you could RMA it, but you'd have to check the store's policy (they might end up sending it back to you).

he didn't say the fans. it could be the card itself, not the fan.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Err, coil whine isn't really fan related AFAIK. If the sound really gets bad at higher FPS I think that is very good evidence that it's not fan related and coil whine instead.

OP:

Just contact Gigabyte support? It doesn't take too long to send them an email and the worst you can get is a "no".

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It's generally fans.

Anyway, as per Gigabyte's policy regarding excessive coil whine, you can safely RMA the card

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

yeah I'm pretty sure it not the fans, I mean fans don't change pitch when you navigate the menu...

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, Kingston Hyper X fury 16GB, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Cooler Master Hyper 212x, NZXT Noctis 450, Samsung 850 EVO 128GB + WD caviar blue 1TB, EVGA 750W G2. 

It's generally fans.

Anyway, as per Gigabyte's policy regarding excessive coil whine, you can safely RMA the card

if it's fans then it isn't coil whine. it's friction.....

yeah I'm pretty sure it not the fans, I mean fans don't change pitch when you navigate the menu...

Unless the fans are possessed by demons.  :ph34r:

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Err, coil whine isn't really fan related AFAIK. If the sound really gets bad at higher FPS I think that is very good evidence that it's not fan related and coil whine instead.

OP:

Just contact Gigabyte support? It doesn't take too long to send them an email and the worst you can get is a "no".

Oh trust me, fans can develop ridiculous coil whine. They also start making ridiculous sounds (that can easily be mistaken for coil while) if the bearings aren't lubed up properly (as I've found out from using old cards that haven't been properly stored for many years).

Electrically, coil whine can manifest in fans, transformers or, generally, anything that has an electromagnetic coil in it.

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Getting a new card will most likely land you in the exact same situation. Coil whine is just something that you will have to deal with. If anything, try turning up your case/GPU fans to drown it out.

You could also limit your FPS but that option is absurd, PC gaming is all about the frames. Maybe try supersampling so at least you get something in return for lowering the framerate.

Unless the fans are possessed by demons.  :ph34r:

if so i want them. i've got a dream build which involves computer parts possessed by ghosts, spirits, and demons.

the rig looks pretty good too. it's got a haunted titan Z, a x99 rampage with a spirit in it, and now demon fans! all i need is a CPU that screams bloody murder and storage drive that is made from mephisto's soulstone!

You could also just cap fps to 100 if it only happens at 140 fps for example.

How would I do that?

Gigabyte will RMA the card for coil whine, I've been lurking in the big owners threads @ OCUK & OC.NET and have seen lots of users RMA'ing their G1. I'm waiting on mine and I'm fine with a little whine :)

In Europe you can simply return it within 2 weeks and get a full refund.

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

some companies won't even Rma a gpu because of coil whine.

gigabyte probably would though.

still put headphone on and game like a proper gamer!

a nuclear holocaust could happen behind me and I wouldn't realise when gaming.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

We'll if you got it from the US. Most retailers honor decent amount of days for guaranteed satisfaction. They usually give you 14 day to 30 days.

So if you don't like it or if it had defects, you can return it for a store credit, a replacement or partial refund (restocking fee cost.)

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Coil whine has nothing to do with Fans.

Transistors start vibrating and make that noise.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I just built my first pc two days ago and the moment loaded up a game I was greeted with glorious coil whine from my gigabyte GTX980 G1, from my experience the whine occurs when the card goes above 140fps or so, at 1080p the 980 can quite easily achieve this kind of fps.

I was wondering if this is enough of an problem to get the card replaced , also would the Australian consumer law force gigabye to give me a replacement as technically it is defective.

Thanks for helping out.

I would try to get another card. There is no need for coil whine. I cant remember the last Card with it.

If you dont want to, force VSync in the Controllpanel. It caps your fps @60.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I had this problem with my 290 during certain benchmarks, it happens when your FPS goes way through the roof on a old 2d-style games.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.