IKEA Galant Desk

VitalSyntax

I'm looking to get a new desk, specifically an IKEA galant desk, although there are a few options I'm not quite sure about. I'm hoping some users out there have experience with these desks and can give me a few tips.

First, A vs T legs, seems like the T legs are more stable and easier to adjust the height, but I could be wrong.

Second, wood vs glass top. The wood top is a partical board build but the glass is probably a finger print magnet.

wood http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19852113/#/S39837013

glass http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49870846/#/S19870843

If you are primarily using the desk for gaming, I would suggest getting the wooden desk for two reasons: Glass has sharper edges and is less "rage-proof."

My PC

• CPU: i7 2600k @4.5GHz
  • Cooler: Corsair H100
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 580 SC
  • PSU: Corsair AX-850w
  • Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth
  • HDD: WD 1TB Black Caviar
  • RAM: Corsair 8GB Dominator
  • Case: Corsair 600T White Edition
  • Monitors: ASUS 23.6" 1920x1080
  • Mouse: Microsoft Sidewinder
  • Keyboard: Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

You should go for something more ergonomic. I used to have a simple desk like the Galant and am now using an actual computer desk.

What exactly do you mean, can you send me some links?

Heh. We've been using a Galant A leg desk for the NCIX Tech Tips table for years.

Personally I prefer simple tables to "computer desks" just because they so often have unnecessary junque on them like keyboard trays, or shelves that get in the way of my 30" monitor... First world problems, right?

Right now I'm using a simple IKEA corner table at home. PIcked it up on Craigslist for cheap and I'm pretty happy.

Edit: Less money on desk = more money on video cards :p

Heh. We've been using a Galant A leg desk for the NCIX Tech Tips table for years. Personally I prefer simple tables to "computer desks" just because they so often have unnecessary junque on them like keyboard trays' date=' or shelves that get in the way of my 30" monitor... First world problems, right? Right now I'm using a simple IKEA corner table at home. PIcked it up on Craigslist for cheap and I'm pretty happy. Edit: Less money on desk = more money on video cards :p [/quote']

Well I guess if Linus recommends it i'll have to go with the Galant :)

Thanks for the help everyone

I own multiple Gallant desks, just view my profile! :)

I went with the A-leg because it allows for subwoofer placement out of the way of feet while still semi-protected under the desk itself. However the T-leg is easier to height adjust but I can see the plus and minus to either leg type.

I also went with a wood top because of personal preference. They are quite sturdy and very spacious (depending on which size you buy) plus the fact you can always add-on and expand if needed. Just note with ikea if you wait too long they may not carry the same color. Another nice thing about these desks is there is a lot of customization (ie, cable management, printer shelf, monitor stand, etc) all at extra cost of course.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I believe you drill that in the wood, though there are premade holes.

I have the Galant desk upstairs, wooden with T legs. Doesn't really matter whether you have V or T legs. I think the V ones look better, but I already had the T ones so yeah.

if you have the room i always love the one i have its called the Z-Line Gemini L shaped desk except my 2 monitors go on the raised part and i dont have the keyboard roll out installed http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Home/...ter%20Desk.jpg

Funny thing is, this is the current desk I'm using. I've owned it for 4 years and it is quite warped, scratched, and wobbly. That is why I'm looking for a new desk.

The glass desk will break your back every time you try to move it, not to mention cleaning it will be a chore.
Not only that but, having a transparent desk is distracting if anything moves underneath including your feet/legs if not animals. You won't see till you experience it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I retract my earlier statement. Gallant desk should be fine for ergonomics as long as you can adjust the height. My old desk couldn`t have the height adjusted and as a result the edges were killing my wrists.

In the Gallant specs:

- Height adjustable: 23 5/8-32 1/4". Assemble your work surface at a height that suits you.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I was about to order the desk yesterday, till I found out the shipping for the $180 desk was $300... So I ended up looking around on craigslist and finding this incredibly sturdy solid wood desk for only $15, honestly couldn't ask for a better bang for my buck. It might not be height adjustable, or look all that pretty but god damn is it hefty.

post-5635-13667861622223_thumb.jpg

post-5635-13667861622981_thumb.jpg

I agree with what Linus said. I hate my desk so much due to the pointless "keyboard tray" which is too small to accommodate a keyboard and mouse comfortable, unless you're using a really small keyboard.

That Gallant desk looks nice as long as you can change the height, or if your chair can go up or down that would work also.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless