FPS drops in crowded towns

numbaname

For all the MMO's out there, when you are standing in a crowded town with lots of other players (no fighting, just ppl afking/standing around), is the GPU or the CPU responsible for rendering all those other players on your screen? I have huge FPS drops when I am just standing around with a bunch of afk players but have no problem at all in an intense fighting scene, just wondering which part my PC is bottlenecking

Thx!

What are your specs? Probably CPU

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

It tends to be CPU for all draw counts and entities on screen. GPU just has to keep them rendered is all. I have the same issue when I'm playing ArcheAge

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

just use msi afterburner to display on screen how hard your components are working

and i think it is the cpu but not sure

hakuna matata

It would put load on the CPU. However, it's most likely the game engine that can't handle it. Even with a fairly high end i7, I still drop to 30FPS when standing in a crowded area in Velika, not even close to maxing out my CPU. 

Mind listing your specs for us? I checked your profile and couldn't find them there either.

Also, it depends on the MMO. Most of them are heavily bound to CPU, e.g. WoW. 

//ccap

Depends which mmo and specs would help, but most are pretty badly optimized in populated areas. Its usually CPU, but even upgrading probably wont fix it all the way. I get like mid 40s in cities in WoW. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Same! i hold my GPU responsible, As when I'm in an area with many players the frame rate also drops and coil whine from my GPU is noticeable . So it's probably your Gpu...  

thx for all the replies! I didn't even know the game engine could be a limiting factor.. i guess upgrading would be a cointoss @ best then..

i3-4150 w/ hyperthread, 3.5ghz

gtx 660 some small overclocks

8gb ram

other standard stuff

Well, it could be a factor of both.  I'd suggest that its probably CPU bound, but it could be the GPU having trouble drawing so many different players.

thx for all the replies! I didn't even know the game engine could be a limiting factor.. i guess upgrading would be a cointoss @ best then..

8gb ram

other standard stuff

Considering this, I'm going to have to say the CPU is the bottleneck here.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

8gb ram

other standard stuff

That CPU is the biggest issue. Upgrading from my 660 to 970 wasn't that big of a framerate boost in cities. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max