Home storage ( please advise)

keavlar

Hello guys, as you know, most of us not buying CD/DVD any more, we download all from internet,

So i wanted to ask , what you suggest for me to do , where to keep all the files i have , most of then are movies, like its gonna be a lot , and i also want to be able always to have excess to them, from my pc, not via internet.

I was thinking about do same as Linus did , but smaller , maybe with ssd , or maybe hybrid.. Cause im not a company guy, and just wanna have a big storage place , im asking for your suggestions.

Thank you !

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

Hello guys, as you know, most of us not buying CD/DVD any more, we download all from internet,

So i wanted to ask , what you suggest for me to do , where to keep all the files i have , most of then are movies, like its gonna be a lot , and i also want to be able always to have excess to them, from my pc, not via internet.

I was thinking about do same as Linus did , but smaller , maybe with ssd , or maybe hybrid.. Cause im not a company guy, and just wanna have a big storage place , im asking for your suggestions.

Thank you !

How much storage space? Do you want to stream to a TV or Computer? How many people will stream from it at once?

In most cases, just a cheap NAS enclosure and two 2-4TB HDD in RAID will work fine. Otherwise, if streaming, running a server using PLEX and at minimum a i3/4GB Ram will also be good. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Stream maybe 2-3 pc, its only.for home family time.. also if already open a talk about it, why people do a second pc for servers or so..?? What its about, what its good for?

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

How much storage space? Do you want to stream to a TV or Computer? How many people will stream from it at once?

In most cases, just a cheap NAS enclosure and two 2-4TB HDD in RAID will work fine. Otherwise, if streaming, running a server using PLEX and at minimum a i3/4GB Ram will also be good.

Stream maybe 2-3 pc, its only.for home family time.. also if already open a talk about it, why people do a second pc for servers or so..?? What its about, what its good for?

Hello keavlar!

It really depends on how you would like to use the files. Perhaps, like d3sl91 suggested, you could use a NAS. WD has the My Cloud series which are to be accessed over the network and have the option for the files to be streamed and backed up; there are also WD My Cloud apps available for you to access your My Cloud from your device and from anywhere. The NASes have big capacity range, and the ones with more bays have the availability for JBOD and RAID. Here are some of the models which could be a fit to you, if you're interested. :)

WD My Cloud:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=x1cFXX

WD My Cloud Mirror:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=eZRdTO

WD My Cloud EX2:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=N8xJyW

Hope any of this helps! :)

Cheers!

CK_WD

If you think I helped, like!  :P

www.wdc.com