Will G-sync ever be affordable?

GGNN

Seriously, it just bothers me so much right now that current Nvidia GPUs are superior to the latest AMD ones (in my opinion, and I'm not here to debate on this), but when it comes to monitors, Gsync ones are sometimes $200-300 more expensive than Freesync ones.

What do you believe is more likely to happen in the years to come:

- Gsync monitor prices will drop

- Nvidia GPUs will support Freesync

- Gsync / Freesync will become a standart tech and the other one will disappear

- Some monitor manufacturer is going to release a similar technology that's compatible with both brands

What do you think?

Nvidia won't support Freesync. That is for AMD.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

What do you believe is more likely to happen in the years to come:

- Gsync monitor prices will drop

What do you think?

It probably will (eventually), although I don't see it being any cheaper than Free-Sync, what with the additional hardware and required licensing fee to implement it.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

You know I was just about to make a post similar to this. G-sync uses a modual inside the monitor to communicate with the GPU and vary the refresh rate,tv his adds about $200 to the price of a monitor. But mobile G-Sync has the GPU communicate with the panel. So maybe mobile G-Sync could be used in monitors?

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Well of course G sync monitor prices will drop, just like all prices for new display technology drops, they are already starting to drop as it is, there are always sales on for the top end g sync panels, at least in the UK there are. Still not as nicely priced as freesync though, there are some freesync monitors that are simply the best option to buy even if you have a nvidia card, just because they are priced so well. And you'll see people on this forum and others (Including me) recommend them over a non freesync just because the price is still lower.

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

It probably will (eventually), although I don't see it being any cheaper than Free-Sync, what with the additional hardware and required licensing fee to implement it.

If you watch linus' videos on freesync and gsync monitors, gsync is noticeably better since nvidia is the one implementing the hardware, not the monitor manufacturer

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

GSync monitors will undoubted drop in price. And maybe GSync will come to a point where it doesn't need the modual, or it can be made cheaper. 

I think VESA had a standard they were working on, but I doubt Nvidia will support it as long as they have GSync. 

Most likely what will happen is that a variable refresh rate standard is developed by VESA (activesync!), it slowly works it's way into most common monitors and GPUs, while Freesync/G-sync slowly die off with little or no major changes to where they are now. They'll always exist in a small niche within the PC gaming community, and I would seriously doubt that there will be a major pricedrop for G-sync.

AMD won't be able to use G-sync and Nvidia won't use Freesync, so they won't get anywhere.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

If you watch linus' videos on freesync and gsync monitors, gsync is noticeably better since nvidia is the one implementing the hardware, not the monitor manufacturer

I'm referring specifically to the cost, though.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Yeah gsync and freesync need to go it's not benefiting the future of monitors anymore when it's propietary to the type of gpu you have

Taran should run for president!

I'm referring specifically to the cost, though.

'better' and 'cheaper' rarely go together

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah gsync and freesync need to go it's not benefiting the future of monitors anymore when it's propietary to the type of gpu you have

And I want Android OS on iPhone, but nether is going to happen, unless one buys up the other.

As long as there is at least 2 companys fighting over customers, so will they try and keep you locked to there products. Thats the way the world works now.

And I want Android OS on iPhone, but nether is going to happen, unless one buys up the other.

As long as there is at least 2 companys fighting over customers, so will they try and keep you locked to there products. Thats the way the world works now.

Android OS on an iPhone is a kinda bad example seeing as you could run an android OS on the iPhone 3G back in the day lol, but yeah not anymore  :unsure:

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

You know I was just about to make a post similar to this. G-sync uses a modual inside the monitor to communicate with the GPU and vary the refresh rate,tv his adds about $200 to the price of a monitor. But mobile G-Sync has the GPU communicate with the panel. So maybe mobile G-Sync could be used in monitors?

mobile gsync uses embedded displayport, which is different from standard displayport. That's the short version of why "mobile gsync" can't work on the desktop

in certain situations gsync has less input lag, but not all situations.... I think it's fair to say that gsync performs more consistently though

mobile gsync uses embedded displayport, which is different from standard displayport. That's the short version of why "mobile gsync" can't work on the desktop

in certain situations gsync has less input lag, but not all situations.... I think it's fair to say that gsync performs more consistently though

not just input lag, but variable framerate window too

Spoiler

not just input lag, but variable framerate window too

Ah yes you're 100% right on that... like the asus 144hz freesync monitor that only goes up to 90 in freesync mode lol

Gysnc is 100$ more expensive because of the Chip inside. 700$ is ok for a good Display.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Gysnc is 100$ more expensive because of the Chip inside. 700$ is ok for a good Display.

Acer XG270HU (freesync) = $500

Acer XB270HU (Gsync) = $750

$250 difference is a lot. Especially considering these monitors are exactly the same except for the sync technology

Acer XG270HU (freesync) = $500

Acer XB270HU (Gsync) = $750

$250 difference is a lot. Especially considering these monitors are exactly the same except for the sync technology

No they are not. The Stand Adjustments alone is 100$ more.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO