New Intel CPU and Motherboards

When are the new Intel Skylake CPUs supposed to hit the market? And since they are socket LGA 1151, won't new motherboards with that socket have to come out? Wondering if I'll need to upgrade my MOBO along with CPU.

August timeframe

New boards have already been announced. Yes, you will have to buy a new board since it is a different socket.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Here's what you'll need if you're upgrading from anything that's not X99 in which case it'd be a downgrade-

New CPU
New Motherboard - Z170, Socket 1151
New RAM - DDR4

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Whoooooooo.... Not worth it. Unless the performance is anything amazing compared to Hasewell the only reason to really upgrade would to jump on the latest and greatest train with DDR4 and other little bells and whistles that tbh will probably be available in expansion card forms also. Hope they don't have the socket issue like ASUS has with x99. I guess we will see :D

Edit: What platform you coming from and what are you planning on doing with the system?

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Whoooooooo.... Not worth it. Unless the performance is anything amazing compared to Hasewell the only reason to really upgrade would to jump on the latest and greatest train with DDR4 and other little bells and whistles that tbh will probably be available in expansion card forms also. Hope they don't have the socket issue like ASUS has with x99. I guess we will see :D

Edit: What platform you coming from and what are you planning on doing with the system?

Sorry for the late response.

My current build is:

Z97-A ASUS Mobo

16GB Gskill DDR3 RAM

i7-4790K at 4.0 GHz (not overclocked)

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler

SLI Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 980Ti

250GB Samsung SSD

1TB Western Black HDD

NZXT Phantom Full Tower case

I plan on getting an h100 watercool and overclocking my CPU. I will only upgrade if the next generation of CPU/Mobos are a good step ahead. I do have an upgrade bug though..

*and overclocking the GPU, they have amazing cooling.

Sorry for the late response.

My current build is:

Z97-A ASUS Mobo

16GB Gskill DDR3 RAM

i7-4790K at 4.0 GHz (not overclocked)

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler

SLI Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 980Ti

250GB Samsung SSD

1TB Western Black HDD

NZXT Phantom Full Tower case

I plan on getting an h100 watercool and overclocking my CPU. I will only upgrade if the next generation of CPU/Mobos are a good step ahead. I do have an upgrade bug though..

*and overclocking the GPU, they have amazing cooling.

For your current build, no need for Skylake unless you really want to run DDR4 and multiple m.2 drives. It will have 20 pcie gen 3 lanes coming directly from the Z170 chipset. This has nothing to do with the 16 gen 3 lanes from the cpu to run your graphic cards. Current Z97 and X99 only have 8 pcie gen 2 lanes from their chipsets.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

And since they are socket LGA 1151, won't new motherboards with that socket have to come out? Wondering if I'll need to upgrade my MOBO along with CPU.

Yes indeed, you'll need an LGA-1151 motherboard with one of the new chipsets (H170 or Z170) for Skylake. Some are starting to be revealed already:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-z170a-gaming-motherboards,29641.html

(Side note: MSI's marketing… *facepalm*)

Skylake is rumored to have dual support for DDR4 and DDR3L. So it's possible you may need new memory as well, depending on how well Skylake's IMC tolerates current 1.5 V DDR3.