What is the best broadband for gaming and low ping available in the UK

PC_NOOB ;)
Go to solution Solved by o0Martin,

What is the best broadband for gaming and low ping available in the UK?

It all depends on your area, but in general Virgin Media is meant to be up there with the best if their new fibre lines are supported in your area, but they are barely supported anywhere :/ 

BT is probably more wide spread, and still good (I'm with them right now) but I want to switch to Virgin when they come to my area at Uni

It all depends on your area, but in general Virgin Media is meant to be up there with the best if their new fibre lines are supported in your area, but they are barely supported anywhere :/ 

BT is probably more wide spread, and still good (I'm with them right now) but I want to switch to Virgin when they come to my area at Uni

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Just pray you never need BT tech support. It's like Comcast but with Indians who barely speak english.

Virgin Media is the best provider in the UK.  There are others like Hyperoptic that focus on broadband and nothing else, but I haven't had experience with them so can't recommend them.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Okay thanks i will see if virgin media is in my area and I am currently with BT.

It ALWAYS depends on where you live, ofcourse your internet provider matters, but there are several factors coming into play, like how far you are from the sender, how many people who are connected to the same sender at the same time etc.

Just pray you never need BT tech support. It's like Comcast but with Indians who barely speak english.

Oh my God... BT Tech support... I had to call them to help my Uncle out (He's in his 70's and can't hear tht well) I was on the phone for like 3 hours straight going through all their obligatory troubleshooting steps before they finally agreed to just get an engineer to come round and fix the issue >.< 

Thankfully he was a nice guy and knew what he was doing aha 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

#TeamVirginMedia #FibreOptic

Been fibre optic for over 8 years now on Virgin. My entire road has it, so they upgraded us ages ago.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Hyperoptic, it can do 1Gb/s up / down depending on how close youy are

Are you with Hyperoptic?  I'd love to know if they're actually any good.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

BT have always been terrible, specifically their customer support IME.  Over my time gaming, I've heard complaints about traffic shaping and terrible peak time speeds regarding Virgin Media, though they may not have had fibre.  Had Sky in two separate locations, and have been great for no traffic shaping or limiting and early 'truly unlimited' adoption and stable, low pings.

ymmv

BT have always been terrible, specifically their customer support IME.  Over my time gaming, I've heard complaints about traffic shaping and terrible peak time speeds regarding Virgin Media, though they may not have had fibre.  Had Sky in two separate locations, and have been great for no traffic shaping or limiting and early 'truly unlimited' adoption and stable, low pings.

ymmv

Sky was always a big no for me because you can't get rid of their default shit router aha, they lock you down and make you use it, I replaced my BT router asap (That was also just as bad as the sky one)  :D

Sky was always a big no for me because you can't get rid of their default shit router aha, they lock you down and make you use it, I replaced my BT router asap (That was also just as bad as the sky one)  :D

Yeah, it is a bummer, especially with lackluster wifi range and no wifi repeater.  You used to be able to use your own router with Sky (unofficially of course) a few years ago without Sky breathing down your neck.  Nowadays, I rely on powerline adapters to reach places.