100% HDD usage on a laptop

Wiplive

Hello, so I've got a problem, my laptop which is Acer Aspire V5-573G with 500 GB Toshiba somerandommodel HDD is running 100% pretty much FOREVER when it's on. I've recently reinstalled my laptop completely and I had it before (my laptop is about 1.5 years old) but now it is really starting to impact performance, I can barely use it, it just lags horribly. What should I do?

Here's the screenshot: post-54733-0-80797400-1437034475.png

I have that problem too, I am now thinking of buying an ssd for it.

It seems to die down after 10 minutes after i turn it on when i leave it doing nothing.

yeah I had that issue after a reinstall too, its the updates you gotta give it some time.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Run a virus scan and malware bytes scan.

Do you have enough RAM? Could be using page file if you're running out of memory.

Hope this helps :)

Well I don't think I have a virus because I haven't really used it after reinstalling (I also formatted the HDD). I have 4 GB of RAM, but I don't use any other programs. All I have is Chrome, Spotify, Evernote and Skype running in background. It's enough for those tasks.

Well I don't think I have a virus because I haven't really used it after reinstalling (I also formatted the HDD). I have 4 GB of RAM, but I don't use any other programs. All I have is Chrome, Spotify, Evernote and Skype running in background. It's enough for those tasks.

Still wouldn't hurt to run a scan.

That's a fair few memory intensive tasks to be running in the background.

If you end those processes does the hard drive usage change noticeably?

Still wouldn't hurt to run a scan.

That's a fair few memory intensive tasks to be running in the background.

If you end those processes does the hard drive usage change noticeably?

Nope, nothing really changed on the HDD. What to do with those memory intensive tasks?

I would try to run a test on the disk. Run somthing like Western digital's disk tool: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

It will look somthing like this: 

BzICq6Y.jpg

Would start with a quick test, then if that passes maby run a longer test during the nigth or somthing, it takes from 2-3 to 8 hours normally. 

When you get the model of the drive you could thest a tool that that manufacturer provide, if its Seagate they have their own program called Seatools. 

I would try to run a test on the disk. Run somthing like Western digital's disk tool: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

It will look somthing like this: 

Would start with a quick test, then if that passes maby run a longer test during the nigth or somthing, it takes from 2-3 to 8 hours normally. 

When you get the model of the drive you could thest a tool that that manufacturer provide, if its Seagate they have their own program called Seatools. 

So what does it exactly do? I know that my HDD manufacturer is Toshiba.

It tests the drive for errors. If you have just reinstalled the computer, and the harddrive is working alot at 100% that could be a sign that its struggeling to read some files, that can be caused by bad sectors on the drive.  

It tests the drive for errors. If you have just reinstalled the computer, and the harddrive is working alot at 100% that could be a sign that its struggeling to read some files, that can be caused by bad sectors on the drive.  

Ok, will Toshiba work with the WD software? If yes then I'll keep it on for the night.

Nope, nothing really changed on the HDD. What to do with those memory intensive tasks?

Open task manager (ctrl+alt+del), then go to the processes tab.

Select the processes you wish to end (chrome, skype, etc.) and click "end process".

See if the hard drive usage decreases.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Open task manager (ctrl+alt+del), then go to the processes tab.

Select the processes you wish to end (chrome, skype, etc.) and click "end process".

See if the hard drive usage decreases.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.

I know how to do that, I meant that I already did it in the last post. "What to do with those memory intensive tasks?" I was talking about system tasks which take a lot of RAM.

I know how to do that, I meant that I already did it in the last post. "What to do with those memory intensive tasks?" I was talking about system tasks which take a lot of RAM.

Ah I see, I don't know what the best thing to do is with system tasks, but I think that's unlikely causing your issues tbh