Gaming/Content Creation build - Need recommendations!

Go to solution Solved by Catman007,

Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or Evga ( also XFX I would include ) are all good brands. Depends what you can get there. Look at specs of each card in the offer and cooling solution used and decide. Stay on this path and don't buy lesser knows marks. I am not saying they aren't good or you wont get good card but there brands are knows to be reliable. Memory is not that important but take any well known brand just to be on safe side. Price is more or less the same. As for PSU go for Seasonic. Never save money on PSU.

Hey guys,

I will building a new rig and was hoping to get your opinion on it.

I will primarily be using it for Content Creation, VFX,Editing and gaming.

This is the specs decided so far, would love to get your insights and thoughts on it. I want to it to survive another 2-3 years without upgrading.

Intel Core i7 5930K

Corsair H110 (stock fans)

Asus X99 Deluxe Mobo

NVIDIA GeForce GTX980Ti (brand recommendations please)

Corsair 750D Cabinet (better suggestions)

4X8GB 2666MHz RAM (brand suggestions please)

Seasonic X-850 850W PSU OR Cooler Master V850 850W PSU

2TB Seagate HDD

250GB SSD

Let me know what you guys think about it.

Cheers guys!

Get a 5820k and overclock it.

For the GPU I like to go towards EVGA.

For ram I like ?Kingston, is cheaper then most brands and looks good. Also offers some quality.

Looks good though.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Go for a 5820K or 5960X. 5930K only has more PCI lanes than the 5820K which you won't benefit from seeing you only have one GPU.

For case, Phanteks Pro or Luxe is awesome. NZXT Noctis 450 or H440 are also good. 

I would recommend putting some aftermarket fans on that H110. That or get a Kraken X61, better stock fans.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

For the GPU you can never go wrong with either ASUS or MSI. 

The Corsair 750D is a pretty good case, but get much more for you money if you go for the Phanteks Enthoo Pro/Luxe (same interior, luxe only has some exterior aesthetic changes such as LEDS)

For RAM, any brand will do realy. But if you cant decide go for Corsair, G.skill or Crucial. Those are the most used brands. Make sure its DDR4!! DDR3 is not compatible on x99.

The PSU you picked is ok, but i would still recommend something like an EVGA SuperNova G2 850watt or the Corsair AX860i. Rocksolid power, and some good overclocking headroom.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or Evga ( also XFX I would include ) are all good brands. Depends what you can get there. Look at specs of each card in the offer and cooling solution used and decide. Stay on this path and don't buy lesser knows marks. I am not saying they aren't good or you wont get good card but there brands are knows to be reliable. Memory is not that important but take any well known brand just to be on safe side. Price is more or less the same. As for PSU go for Seasonic. Never save money on PSU.

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

Get a 5820k and overclock it.

For the GPU I like to go towards EVGA.

For ram I like ?Kingston, is cheaper then most brands and looks good. Also offers some quality.

Looks good though.

Could you give your reasoning for a 5820k and overclocking it versus a 5930K and overclocking it?

I might not be able to get EVGA here in my city. I live in India, Bangalore. I have access to MSI, GIGABYTE and ASUS.

What is your opinion about Corsair LPX or G Skill?

Could you give your reasoning for a 5820k and overclocking it versus a 5930K and overclocking it?

I might not be able to get EVGA here in my city. I live in India, Bangalore. I have access to MSI, GIGABYTE and ASUS.

What is your opinion about Corsair LPX or G Skill?

5820k like other people said, it jut has morempciemlanes which aren't needed unless you do 3-way slim or 4-way but no one does more then 2-way because it can be unstable and not worth it at that point. Overclock a 5820k past the 5930k and it'll be faster and better.

Gigabyte and MSI are good brands.

I'd choose G.skill over corsair

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Go for a 5820K or 5960X. 5930K only has more PCI lanes than the 5820K which you won't benefit from seeing you only have one GPU.

For case, Phanteks Pro or Luxe is awesome. NZXT Noctis 450 or H440 are also good. 

I would recommend putting some aftermarket fans on that H110. That or get a Kraken X61, better stock fans.

I'm actually planning for multi GPU setting eventually and a raid card as well in a year or two hence the 5930K.

I don't have access to a Phanteks Pro unfortunately but I do have access to NZXT

I believe the only decent aftermarket fans are the Corsair SP/AF series and the Bitfenix Pro series but I don't want to unnecessarily use it unless there is a significant improvement in temps. Can't test it unfortunately.

I'm actually planning for multi GPU setting eventually and a raid card as well in a year or two hence the 5930K.

I don't have access to a Phanteks Pro unfortunately but I do have access to NZXT

I believe the only decent aftermarket fans are the Corsair SP/AF series and the Bitfenix Pro series but I don't want to unnecessarily use it unless there is a significant improvement in temps. Can't test it unfortunately.

5820K still has ample lanes for 2 cards. And I don't recommend more than 2 anyway.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

For the GPU you can never go wrong with either ASUS or MSI. 

The Corsair 750D is a pretty good case, but get much more for you money if you go for the Phanteks Enthoo Pro/Luxe (same interior, luxe only has some exterior aesthetic changes such as LEDS)

For RAM, any brand will do realy. But if you cant decide go for Corsair, G.skill or Crucial. Those are the most used brands. Make sure its DDR4!! DDR3 is not compatible on x99.

The PSU you picked is ok, but i would still recommend something like an EVGA SuperNova G2 850watt or the Corsair AX860i. Rocksolid power, and some good overclocking headroom.

Yes I know the RAM is DDR4, no worries

The PSU I might not be able to get EVGA, though I have access to Corsair, I had checked out the reviews for PSUs I picked on Jhonny Guru. Seemed solid to me. But I'll do some more research.

Cool will do! Thanks

I'm a little concerned with VFX stuff though. I currently have a Quadro, its great for that but terrible at gaming as expected. Hence the 980Ti but if its gonna limit it I don't know what to do. I can't afford a Titan X. Was hoping to get your guys opinion on the VFX capabilities. I use After Effects, Blender, a little bit of 3DS Max, Fume FX.

A 980 Ti would do fine for content creation. Unless you're planning to sell the quadro, i'd try and advise you to keep it.

Furthermore, i would recommend ASUS coolers for a 980Ti, because i've seen them performing quite well. EVGA Isn't that bad either, but availability is indeed the problem.

For ram, corsair is most used, avexir is an upcoming name, and G.Skill also is very nice.

Hope it helped! =)

Editing Rig: CPU: i7 4790K,mobo: MSI Xpower AC Z97, GPU's: 2x GTX 980 Strix, Cooling: Corsair H110i GT PSU: Corsair 1200i, RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1866,  Storage: 2TB WD hard drive, 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in raid 0, Case: CM storm trooper

Skylake Mainstream rig: CPU: i5 6600K, Mobo: MSI Z170 Pro Gaming, GPU: AMD R9 390X, Cooling: Noctua C14S, PSU: Corsair RM650, Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000mhz Red, Storage: Intel 535 240GB Ssd + 1TB WD Blue, Case: Corsair 300R

A 980 Ti would do fine for content creation. Unless you're planning to sell the quadro, i'd try and advise you to keep it.

Furthermore, i would recommend ASUS coolers for a 980Ti, because i've seen them performing quite well. EVGA Isn't that bad either, but availability is indeed the problem.

For ram, corsair is most used, avexir is an upcoming name, and G.Skill also is very nice.

Hope it helped! =)

Thanks a lot

I want to keep the quadro but I have to sell my current desktop to be able to afford the new upgrades. Unfortunate circumstances. Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions guys, really appreciate it. If you guys have any more suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I checked out the reviews for the NZXT H440, but seems to starve your air supply. I live in India and the summers can get quite hot. So I wanna make sure that there is as much air flow as possible. I'm thinking of going for the Corsair 750D itself. I can't get the Phanteks brand here. Also too expensive to import. If there are better solutions in Cooler Master please let me know. Also for the PSU, I can't buy the Corsair AX860i, its too expensive here. I'll try finding it for cheaper rates. Also is the Seasonic X850, Cooler Master V850 not worth the money/bad. I checked out reviews in Jhonny Guru, they seem to be really good PSUs. Let me know your opinions. Thanks a lot guys!