About case airflow.

Yuval

So i have the Define R4, and i am thinking of getting water cooling, yet i don't want to remove any moduvents, so i thought about this

at8w.jpg

intake NF-S12A

Sapphire 7950 Vapor X OC

Corsair H60 + NF F12

Power supply, upside down if needed

Would this even work?

:/

You got the PSU's and GPU's fan direction thingy wrong. Also I would suggest using the front as a intake as it is filtered. I don't think you can mount the H60 on the front of the R4, as at least in my Define mini those are clip in things for fans, and there is no holes to place a H60, unless you want to use duct-tape.

I would put the Corsair H60 + NF F12 to the top as exhaust other than that the set up is fine just remember heat rises.

So i have the Define R4, and i am thinking of getting water cooling, yet i don't want to remove any moduvents, so i thought about this

at8w.jpg

intake NF-S12A

Sapphire 7950 Vapor X OC

Corsair H60 + NF F12

Power supply, upside down if needed

Would this even work?

"Would this even work?" 

You are asking about airflow. Technically, any kind of crazy contraption/set up would work.

This would be bad. Too many Exhausts. This creates negative air pressure causing dust to be sucked in through all the holes in your case. You usually want 1 more intake than exhaust for this purpose. 

Your PSU fan's arrows are pointing the wrong way. The PSU fan would be sucking air out of the case if faced that way, not blowing it into the case. Z

I suggest leaving the front fans as intake and flipping the PSU to where it sucks air from under the case. Then it would optimal.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

you got the PSUs blowy direction thingy wrong. also I would suggest using the front as a intake as it is filtered. I don't think you can mount the H60 on teh front of the R4, as at least in my Define mini those are clip in things for fans.

I know, i thought that placing a intake next to an exhaust isn't the smartest idea, and i think you can put it upside down.

Do you think replacing one of the modu- vents will hurt the silence of the PC?

nooo. dont use the front as exhaust. I tried it once, its crap.

Oh and GL making an H60 reach the front of that case. Wait... dont buy an H60. Fans are loud, doesn't cool well. What are you thinking? At least an H100 (which fits in the front) or just go with air.

Psu exhausts always.

GPU is open design (doesnt exhaust downwards lol..), remove the top vents and go with positive pressure. Heat go up.

Cases dont make noise and the R4 only dampens those higher pitched "ticks" and "whines". you will hear the sound of air moving...which is pleasing.

I know, i thought that placing a intake next to an exhaust isn't the smartest idea, and i think you can put it upside down.

I have never looked into how much a moduvent does actually help. However I wouldn't remove anything, and what I would do is taking the front and bottom as intakes, and have the PSU blowing air out with the H60 in the back as a outtake.

First: Graphics cards blow up onto the PCB, so those arrows are inverted in reality.

Second: PSUs draw are into the unit, so those arrows are inverted in reality.

Third, flip the front fan into an intake. That way you have more intakes than exhaust, meaning a positive air prossure inside the case. That combined with filtered intakes (as is in your case), means that you'll have less dust build-up inside the case.

Also: leave the moduvents in place.

I have never looked into how much a moduvent does actually help. However I wouldn't remove anything, and what I would do is taking the front and bottom as intakes, and have the PSU blowing air out with the H60 in the back as a outtake.

So no exhaust fans? i use the fans in the rad for exhasut?

and wont the botton outake draw hot air fromthe psu?

So no exhaust fans? i use the fans in the rad for exhasut?

and wont the botton outake draw hot air fromthe psu?

no, I basically meant this:

cZSm3zV.jpg

You should set it up like this - 

Or if you notice the PSU running a little too loud then flip it round so it gets air from below the case and exhausts it out the back.

post-1162-0-67360900-1375127783.jpg

I would put the Corsair H60 + NF F12 to the top as exhaust other than that the set up is fine just remember heat rises.

Heat rises in stagnant areas, not when air is being pushed around:

Air goes where you push it:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1394467/daves-el-cheapo-heatsinks-air-cooling-guide

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Heat rises in stagnant areas, not when air is being pushed around:

Air goes where you push it:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1394467/daves-el-cheapo-heatsinks-air-cooling-guide

The forces of convection (when a less dense type of matter floats on top of a more dense type of matter when it comes to liquids/gases) are always at play. 

If you fight convection, your system will have a harder time keeping cool if only by a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny amount. And I mean tiny. Like not noticeable at all. However, if you work with convection, your system will have an easier time of keeping cool if only by a tiiiiiiiiiiiny amount. Probably not as tiny as the other amount but still. 

Just saying.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The forces of convection (when a less dense type of matter floats on top of a more dense type of matter when it comes to liquids/gases) are always at play. 

If you fight convection, your system will have a harder time keeping cool if only by a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny amount. And I mean tiny. Like not noticeable at all. However, if you work with convection, your system will have an easier time of keeping cool if only by a tiiiiiiiiiiiny amount. Probably not as tiny as the other amount but still. 

Just saying.

I truly doubt the amount of air moving through your system gets effected by convection. It's probably .000000000001 degree difference lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I truly doubt the amount of air moving through your system gets effected by convection. It's probably .000000000001 degree difference lol

I agree..Air goes where it is pushed as the link i posted clearly stats..

† Christian Member †

wanna d8

You should set it up like this -

Or if you notice the PSU running a little too loud then flip it round so it gets air from below the case and exhausts it out the back.

Do you guys think this will be fine?

Do you guys think this will be fine?

Yes this will work well and is the best layout for your situation 

Asus Maximus VI Extreme, I7 4770K, NZXT Kraken X60, Kingston HyperXBeast DDR-3 2400, Sapphire 6950, NZXT Phantom 820, SanDisk 120Gb Extreme x2 in Raid, 2Tb WD Green, SeaSonic X-850 Gold

Is the PSU fan taking air from the case or from the outside?

The PSU will be taking air from the case and is effectively another exhaust fan

Asus Maximus VI Extreme, I7 4770K, NZXT Kraken X60, Kingston HyperXBeast DDR-3 2400, Sapphire 6950, NZXT Phantom 820, SanDisk 120Gb Extreme x2 in Raid, 2Tb WD Green, SeaSonic X-850 Gold