Stable OC i5 4690k - Disable Adaptive, Leave C-State/EIST On?

Hey guys, so I've finally managed to get a stable OC without any errors or BSOD (I did have it freeze up my Chrome browser while browsing every few seconds) with AIDA64 running for over 7 hours.

4.4ghz @ 1.18v - CPUz and AIDA shows as 1.182

From Linus' video he said to go back and turn on Adaptive. But I read around others use offset and others say not to use it on the Devils Canyon. Saying both offset and adaptive are unreliable and I should just leave it at manual, and only enable c-state and EIST for my computer to lower the volt/clock speed when idle.

If let's say the last info I just said is invalid and I end up using Adaptive or Offset how would I go about it? I assume I need my default voltage which I don't have a clue what it is.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Running SSD as well, I also found that EIST doesn't do anything if I have an SSD software? For example the Samsung Magician. Quoted from Arne in Asus forums. In the software I set Maximum Performance under OS optimization. 

some SSD software sets performance mode in the OS this disables EIST even though enabled in BIOS. You can go into the advanced settings for the power plan and change min processor state from the 100% that is set to 10% and you will recover EIST while keeping the other high performance settings.

Hey guys, so I've finally managed to get a stable OC without any errors or BSOD (I did have it freeze up my Chrome browser while browsing every few seconds) with AIDA64 running for over 7 hours.

4.4ghz @ 1.8v - CPUz and AIDA shows as 1.82

From Linus' video he said to go back and turn on Adaptive. But I read around others use offset and others say not to use it on the Devils Canyon. Saying both offset and adaptive are unreliable and I should just leave it at manual, and only enable c-state and EIST for my computer to lower the volt/clock speed when idle.

If let's say the last info I just said is invalid and I end up using Adaptive or Offset how would I go about it? I assume I need my default voltage which I don't have a clue what it is.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Running SSD as well, I also found that EIST doesn't do anything if I have an SSD software? For example the Samsung Magician. Quoted from Arne in Asus forums. In the software I set Maximum Performance under OS optimization. 

1.8V?! really?!

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

1.8v? RIP OP

Opps meant 1.18 xD

If your core voltage was at 1.8v your CPU would be dead. You are likely reading the VCCIN value, not the core voltage value....although CPU-Z should only be displaying core value.... typo?

Download HWMonitor and throw us a screenshot. Make sure these values are visible->

post-115561-0-31652300-1436882968_thumb.

post-115561-0-31652300-1436882968_thumb.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

If your core voltage was at 1.8v your CPU would be dead. You are likely reading the VCCIN value, not the core voltage value....although CPU-Z should only be displaying core value.... typo?

Download HWMonitor and throw us a screenshot. Make sure these values are visible->

attachicon.gifhwmon.JPG

1.18!

Also my cpu cache voltage is set to auto. I see a lot of people changing this some suggest to put it 0.05v higher than the actual cpu voltage?

I've only found offset useful in max OC situations where you're teetering on a +100-200MHz bump and you need an extra bit of stability. A good explanation of what offset does, and how to use it, is here-> http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/187959-z97-adaptive-voltage-setting/

For adaptive voltage most boards handle it with a maximum value and it will determine the minimum voltage while in OS. Sometimes power balancing settings within Windows can screw this up and it will stay at manual values. Really hit and miss.

Since your voltage is relatively low, I would just leave it on manual @1.18v w/C-States enabled. Voltage does not equal wattage, you're only going to be drawing more power (wattage) under load.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Also my cpu cache voltage is set to auto. I see a lot of people changing this some suggest to put it 0.05v higher than the actual cpu voltage?

Opposite. Cache should be ~75% the value of core voltage. If you have not OC'd your cache at all just leave it where it is.

Opposite. Cache should be ~75% the value of core voltage. If you have not OC'd your cache at all just leave it where it is.

Are you referring to the min/max CPU cache? I've left it at auto and I've seen people set these to 39,42,43... etc

When I leave the cache voltage on auto it jumps between 1.176 and 1.18x

I've only found offset useful in max OC situations where you're teetering on a +100-200MHz bump and you need an extra bit of stability. A good explanation of what offset does, and how to use it, is here-> http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/187959-z97-adaptive-voltage-setting/

For adaptive voltage most boards handle it with a maximum value and it will determine the minimum voltage while in OS. Sometimes power balancing settings within Windows can screw this up and it will stay at manual values. Really hit and miss.

Since your voltage is relatively low, I would just leave it on manual @1.18v w/C-States enabled. Voltage does not equal wattage, you're only going to be drawing more power (wattage) under load.

Alright awesome, so I've set c-state and EIST on and now my idle temperature dropped from 40's to low/mid 30's which was the original temps before OC (a bit less than it was now)

Are you referring to the min/max CPU cache? I've left it at auto and I've seen people set these to 39,42,43... etc

i put my cache to 4.4, i have the exact same volts and speed. Anything under 1.2 is good. 1.25 is max normally for us

Came across this, which brings up more questions...

Offset Mode: Your CPU will use VERY LITTLE voltage and speed when idling, ANYTIME you idle. (Even browsing can be considered idling.)
Enhanced Halt State (C1E): Enabled
CPU C3 State Support: Disabled
CPU C6 State Support: Disabled
Package C State Support: Disabled

Fixed Mode: Your CPU will run full voltage and speed all the time, even when idling.
Enhanced Halt State (C1E): Enabled
CPU C3 State Support: Enabled
CPU C6 State Support: Enabled
Package C State Support: Auto

Which one is better?
Neither is "better". The first one will save you power and money, the second one will ensure you have 100% CPU power all the time.

I thought the second one would save me power? Mine states report instead of support in the Asus UEFI not sure if it's the same. When I enabled C-State all of these were set to enable and Package C State Support at auto. Should I leave it at auto or disable it?

Cache OCing is fairly unimportant outside of trying to reach higher benchmark scores. Very little to no impact on real world performance unless you're doing things like 4k video encoding on a regular basis, it also depends on the amount of cache your CPU has, which in this case isn't much comparatively to something like a 5930k.

In general I'm a proponent of OCing everything, but in your case it holds no significance unless you really enjoy OCing and want to peg everything as high as possible. That HWMonitor shot above is of my system, and the cache has a hefty OC because I find it useful for my workloads.

If on auto it is maxing at 1.18v you can just let it be, especially if the cache:core is running at 1:1 under load, you will actually need to leave that value somewhere around 1.18v for a x44 mult. on your cache.

In HWmonitor and CPUz it just states that my clock is at 4400 and my VCore in HW shows as 1.176 it never goes down or up. Is VIN4 supposed to be my actual Voltage? 

I'm assuming the clockspeed is automatically down turned even though it states 4400 correct?

In HWmonitor and CPUz it just states that my clock is at 4400 and my VCore in HW shows as 1.176 it never goes down or up. Is VIN4 supposed to be my actual Voltage? 

I'm assuming the clockspeed is automatically down turned even though it states 4400 correct?

If Vcore never goes up or down it is likely in manual mode (non-variable), or the power states in the OS need to be switched to balanced if you are using adaptive.

The CPU-Z and HWMon readouts are in real time, so they should be going up/down depending on the load state, same is true of clockspeed.

If you want a more meaningful metric for load on the CPU look at your "Powers" section. On idle the CPU should probably be hovering around 40-50w, under load 90w+. I would give you a screenshot, but the wattage sensors for my CPU are no longer outputting correct values.

Alright I'm totally confused now. Both Aida and HWMon shows 1.176-1.182 for vcore (Assuming VIN4 isn't the actual voltage core from HWMon).

I've set voltage to manual, I read that if you just enable cstate and EIST it'll automatically downclock when idle etc.

Seems like none of that is happening?

Do I need to do this:

Enhanced Halt State (C1E): Enabled CPU C3 State Support: Disabled CPU C6 State Support: Disabled Package C State Support: Disabled

Or use adaptive which I'm still confused on how to use.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King