What card should I get?

Trooper

I currently have a Radeon 6950 2GB from Sapphire. I want to upgrade to a significantly better card for under $250. I currently run an i7 2600k.

I currently have a Radeon 6950 2GB from Sapphire. I want to upgrade to a significantly better card for under $250. I currently run an i7 2600k.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202137&cm_re=r9_280x-_-14-202-137-_-Product

This is one of the cards I have used in the past and it buried my gtx 960 strix so if you can afford it you will be more than satisfied.

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

R9 280 or 270X

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202137&cm_re=r9_280x-_-14-202-137-_-Product

This is one of the cards I have used in the past and it buried my gtx 960 strix so if you can afford it you will be more than satisfied.

STOP RECCOMENDING 200 SERIES GPUS. THEY ARE NOT DX12 COMPATIBLE MEANING NEWER GAMES WILL NOT SUPPORT THEM. SORRY, BUT I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS BLIND LEADING THE BLIND.

STOP RECCOMENDING 200 SERIES GPUS. THEY ARE NOT DX12 COMPATIBLE MEANING NEWER GAMES WILL NOT SUPPORT THEM. SORRY, BUT I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS BLIND LEADING THE BLIND.

I am not blind, don't tell people what to do, and most games still don't use DX12 so it doesn't even  matter. 

I am not blind, don't tell people what to do, and most games still don't use DX12 so it doesn't even  matter.

Are you entirely stupid... Ofc games don't support DX12 now, but when they do, and for news games that get launched, the improvements will be very good, making people who followed your advice sad. I at least want a computer that I build/upgrade to last for AT LEAST 2-3 years, so DX12 is important.

Most games don't even support DX12? Calm down m8 the 200 series is currently the best for budget cards.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Are you entirely stupid... Ofc games don't support DX12 now, but when they do, and for news games that get launched, the improvements will be very good, making people who followed your advice sad. I at least want a computer that I build/upgrade to last for AT LEAST 2-3 years, so DX12 is important.

well i am not stupid but when DX12 games start coming out the first will be in two years and then 20 new cards will have come out saying that they are DX13 compatible but even then maybe only 5 games will be using DX12 so you still have no argument

well i am not stupid but when DX12 games start coming out the first will be in two years and then 20 new cards will have come out saying that they are DX13 compatible but even then maybe only 5 games will be using DX12 so you still have no argument

DX12 games will come in 2016, so one year. The point is, DX12 is SO MICH better than DX11 and offers SO MANY new features that it is stupid to get a card that does not support it. DX10 to DX11 didn't offer much, so in that scenario I would agree with you. But here, there is a big difference. Presuming DX13 is another incremental update, DX12 cards should support it, because most DX 10 cards supported DX11.

DX12 games will come in 2016, so one year. The point is, DX12 is SO MICH better than DX11 and offers SO MANY new features that it is stupid to get a card that does not support it. DX10 to DX11 didn't offer much, so in that scenario I would agree with you. But here, there is a big difference. Presuming DX13 is another incremental update, DX12 cards should support it, because most DX 10 cards supported DX11.

How do you know if DX12 isn't out yet? You are just assuming all of this.

Can you post a source for that, haven't heard anyone say such a thing before. Plus most of the 200 and 300 series is the same architecture with some of the 200 also series based off the 7000 series.

But to anwser OP's question at the $250 price point you could find R9 290s even if you find a good sale plus some rebates maybe. Aside from that the R9 380 is also a very good deal (if you want something a little cheaper than the 290), they can be found around the same price of the 960 but performs better than it.

Pretty sure the 200 series will support DX12 lol?

blackshades on

Can you post a source for that, haven't heard anyone say such a thing before. Plus most of the 200 and 300 series is the same architecture with some of the 200 also series based off the 7000 series.

But to anwser OP's question at the $250 price point you could find R9 290s even if you find a good sale plus some rebates maybe. Aside from that the R9 380 is also a very good deal (if you want something a little cheaper than the 290), they can be found around the same price of the 960 but performs better than it.

Thank you both you people actually make sense and I just looked it up and they do.

The 285 will because it is a Tonga GPU. I am fairly sure I heard something about it in an LTT video, possible the r9 285 review. Anyway, you cannot provide proof that the 200 series will support it, so the logical outcome is that the older cards won't support the newer tech, like with only the 200 series supporting mantle, despite being rebrands.

The 285 will because it is a Tonga GPU. I am fairly sure I heard something about it in an LTT video, possible the r9 285 review. Anyway, you cannot provide proof that the 200 series will support it, so the logical outcome is that the older cards won't support the newer tech, like with only the 200 series supporting mantle, despite being rebrands.

AMD used to list the 200 series as DX12 compatible on their website. Do some research man before you spread false information. There is also different levels of support, 300 series GPUs use the same architecture and support DX12 as listed on their website.

blackshades on

AMD used to list the 200 series as DX12 compatible on their website. Do some research man before you spread false information. There is also different levels of support, 300 series GPUs use the same architecture and support DX12 as listed on their website.

Different levels of support... That could be where this whole thing got confused. So the 300 series is the only AMD one to FULLY support DX12, and Maxwell is the only Nvidia one to FULLY support DX12, but the others half-support it or something...?

Different levels of support... That could be where this whole thing got confused. So the 300 series is the only AMD one to FULLY support DX12, and Maxwell is the only Nvidia one to FULLY support DX12, but the others half-support it or something...?

Some "features" will be unsupported. Don't remember the features but they were unimportant. DX12 is basically an evolved mantle, mantle works on older cards.

blackshades on

Some "features" will be unsupported. Don't remember the features but they were unimportant. DX12 is basically an evolved mantle, mantle works on older cards.

Oh ok, so I was sort of half right. Let's end this here.