Telegram has been hit with a 200Gbps DDoS

jos
Popular messaging platform Telegram has been hit with a 200Gbps distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack.

The Tsunami TCP SYN flood kicked off on Friday and hurt users in Asia, Australia, and Oceania, knocking out the service for some five percent of the company's 60 million active users it has gained in 18 months.

It is a new form of DDoS attack discovered October by Radware security folk who say it is different from regular SYN floods in that it transmits large 100 byte packet sizes about double the regular 40 to 60 byte size.

That Radware says defeats many defense algorithms and quickly consumes bandwidth making even a modest attack clock some four to five gigabits per second.

"The garbage traffic came from about a hundred thousand infected servers, most noticeably, in LeaseWeb B.V., Hetzner Online AG, PlusServer AG, NFOrce Entertainment BV, Amazon and Comcast networks," Telegram says.

"That said, the attack was distributed evenly across thousands of hosts and none contributed more than five percent of the total volume … by now we know that the attack is being coordinated from East Asia.

"Attacks on the scale of the one we‘re facing today have become possible only recently and it’s the first time we‘ve met anything like this."

Telegram app but why? what did they do?

What did the Telegraph ever do to those People ? Are they trying to kill our last source of long range communication when the Internet is unavailable ?

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Aw that's lame. I use Telegram too, although rarely. Not sure what the motive behind attacking Telegram would be...

COMIC SANS

200Gbps?

Damn son, where'd you find that?

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Oh shit ... I thought so too xD 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Telegram app but why? what did they do?

This attack is probably from Cell Companies who are loosing their "premium message app" users to Telegram

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I regularly use telegram, it's desktop client is quite useful.

i use telegram quite often. they dont have that blue 'read' message like in whatsapp. but what did they do wrong?