I have a strange fan layout, anyones opinions on how it is good or bad or how to make it better? green = fan / Red = hot air / Blue = cold air / Yellow = cpu cooler (hyper 212 evo)

post-244237-0-35295000-1436819872_thumb.

post-244237-0-35295000-1436819872_thumb.

would be good, what kind of cpu cooler?

cooler (hyper 212 evo)

Fan should face the top, exhausting out the top

It's actually not too bad, you have more intakes than outtakes so you have positive pressure so less dust buildup. Also pretty efficient as the hot air is being expelled at the top.

[ Rig: CPU: 4930K, GPU: EVGA 780TI SC x2, RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Mobo: ASUS P9 X79 LE, Storage: 120GB Samsung EVO + 2TB Seagate Barracuda, PSU: Corsair RM1000 ]

It's actually not too bad, you have more intakes than outtakes so you have positive pressure so less dust buildup. Also pretty efficient as the hot air is being expelled at the top.

Awesome, just found it weird as my back fan was an intake, but i have been getting very good temps with it!

I say perfect, positive pressure and works with convection!

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I have a strange fan layout, anyones opinions on how it is good or bad or how to make it better? green = fan / Red = hot air / Blue = cold air / Yellow = cpu cooler (hyper 212 evo)

looks pretty good. Is that side fan on the removable side facing the viewer in the picture? What style gpu? Blower or axial fans? If blower i would leave side as intake if axial i would give exhaust a try. When i had axial (before my reference card) an exhaust on the side dropped cpu and gpu temps by a few degrees each compared to intake. Aftermarket style gpu coolers take air in the fan and blow it out in all directions (mostly right to the side panel). Pulling that hot air right out helps.

Edit: i would leave back fan as intake. Also might want to think about filters if you haven't. Helps a ton with dust although does diminish airflow a bit

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

make the rear an exhaust.

Dont do this, this would give you worse temps and worse convection on the cpu cooler. Clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

Dont do this, this would give you worse temps and worse convection on the cpu cooler. Clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

I know what I am talking about. I have been doing PC cooling for a long time. What I dont like about the fan as an intake is that it is only going on one side of the cooler and possibly in the back and then right out the top of the case. If you were to make the rear an intake, I would make the CPU cooler take air from that fan as well. My old case was lined with fans on the front and back, but not any on the top or bottom and it worked best to have the rear as the intake as everything got fresh air first. I see what you are saying, but it would make more sense to change the CPU cooler as well.

I know what I am talking about. I have been doing PC cooling for a long time. What I dont like about the fan as an intake is that it is only going on one side of the cooler and possibly in the back and then right out the top of the case. If you were to make the rear an intake, I would make the CPU cooler take air from that fan as well. My old case was lined with fans on the front and back, but not any on the top or bottom and it worked best to have the rear as the intake as everything got fresh air first. I see what you are saying, but it would make more sense to change the CPU cooler as well.

As long as the top of the case is open, the rear fan is always best used as intake.

Btw, you need to look up convection

As long as the top of the case is open, the rear fan is always best used as intake.

Btw, you need to look up convection

With two top fans yeah it's best to have rear intake. Natural convection almost entirely goes out the window (figuratively) when taking about active cooling thou. In a passive build yes, but with fans you are controlling convection.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q