Are they good for recording Hip-Hop ?

maximilian4o
Go to solution Solved by KaminKevCrew,

Sony mdr-v6/mdr-7506! They have pretty much been the studio headphone for the last couple of decades. Very good headphones for monitoring, and they have very accurate bass. The trouble with beats, is that the bass has quantity, but not quality. It doesn't really have any texture, which makes bass rather boring (to me, anyway...) so I think you'd be better off with the sonys. They have plenty of bass for hearing the beat, but they are accurate enough to allow you to hear everything in your song (which helps to prevent from poor mastering). Plus, they last forever! A friend of mine has a pair that his dad used for work almost every day, since the mid eighties, and the only issue they have is that the pads for replaced a few years ago with velour ones instead of pleather.

Hey guys, I haven't been on this forum for a while, since I stopped playing games and now I am not into computers anymore. But I have stuff left from when I used to play games and stream. I'm actually writing verses for a rap song atm. I have a V67G that I'll be using... and a pair of HD 598. NOW, the problem is that I need a pair of closed back headphones cause I want to use them to record and monitor... PLEASE don't hate me for this but I am thinking of buying the Beats By Dre Studio 2.0 Wireless. I know what yall opinion is, but I want to hear it from an audiophile.... also somebody who's into Hip-Hop. Is it a bad choice over the 598s ? I need something that delivers good bass. TBH I didn't notice a difference when I switched from the G930 to the 598. Actually the 930s were better. So.... if you are not an audiophile and haven't used beats studio 2.0 please don't spit hate for the phones just cause of the brand. THANK YOU

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

If you wanna buy something to monitor audio, buy audio monitors, not bass heavy beats. Also AFAIK open backs are used way more often for those reasons

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

To be honest for Hiphop music the beats are a decent goto do to the base they give off but other then that they are shit and seeing as you already have a couple decent pairs of headphones getting the beats set would not be a terrible choice.

If you wanna buy something to monitor audio, buy audio monitors, not bass heavy beats. Also AFAIK open backs are used way more often for those reasons

Ok.... not only monitoring but general studio use. Have you used the Studio 2.0s ?

To be honest for Hiphop music the beats are a decent goto do to the base they give off but other then that they are shit and seeing as you already have a couple decent pairs of headphones getting the beats set would not be a terrible choice.

Thanks for that. But mind you I wont keep the 598s... I will be selling them. I will be using the beats for general studio use... you know, everything that's involved.

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Ok.... not only monitoring but general studio use. Have you used the Studio 2.0s ?

Thanks for that. But mind you I wont keep the 598s... I will be selling them. I will be using the beats for general studio use... you know, everything that's involved.

oh well in that case I think thats a bad idea. The base may be good for what you are doing but the rest of the head phones go are crap.

If I were you and I was getting into the recording game I would do some research on what will work best for you. And you need to take cost out of it and look at the headphones as if it were your car that drives you to work. Would you get the mustang that everyone wants and is fast but built like crap and is not as good as something like a Mercedes GT that has everything you could ever want and is built well.

I haven't but for things like that you should get headphones that don't change the sound, so a flat sound profil

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

oh well in that case I think thats a bad idea. The base may be good for what you are doing but the rest of the head phones go are crap.

If I were you and I was getting into the recording game I would do some research on what will work best for you. And you need to take cost out of it and look at the headphones as if it were your car that drives you to work. Would you get the mustang that everyone wants and is fast but built like crap and is not as good as something like a Mercedes GT that has everything you could ever want and is built well.

Say... build quality aint a problem. I want them to have bass. But IF I stay with my open 598s, won't they interfere with my mic when I'm standing about 10inches or 25cm away from it ? Cause I need to be listening to the beat while recording the verses.

You want something more neutral for studio use.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Sony mdr-v6/mdr-7506! They have pretty much been the studio headphone for the last couple of decades. Very good headphones for monitoring, and they have very accurate bass. The trouble with beats, is that the bass has quantity, but not quality. It doesn't really have any texture, which makes bass rather boring (to me, anyway...) so I think you'd be better off with the sonys. They have plenty of bass for hearing the beat, but they are accurate enough to allow you to hear everything in your song (which helps to prevent from poor mastering). Plus, they last forever! A friend of mine has a pair that his dad used for work almost every day, since the mid eighties, and the only issue they have is that the pads for replaced a few years ago with velour ones instead of pleather.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I understand. But I won't be using them to MAKE a beat. I will be using them just to listen to the beat (which I got off of smb), so I can rap over it. And I need something with good noise cancelation so it won't interfere with the mic that will be 10 inches from my face. If you still think the Sony's will be better at NC, I will go with them for sure. Just want to avoid all the possible problems on the way of the production. Thank yall guys for the time and the help ^^

Hey guys, I haven't been on this forum for a while, since I stopped playing games and now I am not into computers anymore. But I have stuff left from when I used to play games and stream. I'm actually writing verses for a rap song atm. I have a V67G that I'll be using... and a pair of HD 598. NOW, the problem is that I need a pair of closed back headphones cause I want to use them to record and monitor... PLEASE don't hate me for this but I am thinking of buying the Beats By Dre Studio 2.0 Wireless. I know what yall opinion is, but I want to hear it from an audiophile.... also somebody who's into Hip-Hop. Is it a bad choice over the 598s ? I need something that delivers good bass. TBH I didn't notice a difference when I switched from the G930 to the 598. Actually the 930s were better. So.... if you are not an audiophile and haven't used beats studio 2.0 please don't spit hate for the phones just cause of the brand. THANK YOU

I have the beats I listen to music with but your recording music so u don't want overly to much bass when I hear let's say g unit their shit sounds like it was produced really good because it's balanced but let's say I hear it from an unknown artist like USG their songs have so much bass to the point where it's annoying go buy the audio technica a40x they have good bass and somewhat neutral sound good for recording

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb