recommended airflow setup for mini-itx, PSU and front fan

ez123

Hi,

I'm building a mini-itx gaming PC (well not actually gaming - but rather 3D modeling).

Currently I'm using air cooling, not liquid.

I was wondering about the preferred way to setup the front fan and the PSU - for optimal airflow and lowest possible temperatures.

I'd appreciate your opinion on the following variations (please see attached image), and the reasons for your opinion,

Thanks

Part list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690

CPU cooler: stock

Motherboard: Asus H97I-PLUS Mini ITX

Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B Mini ITX

Front fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM

PSU: Silverstone SX500-LG

P.S.

I might add an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card in the future

post-244349-0-86256900-1436780142_thumb.

Either of the 2 on the left, with a slight preference to the lower one. Front on a case like this should almost always be intake, so you are putting as much fresh cool air in as possible, and positive air pressure helps to reduce dust build up. The PSU sucking from within the case might help with exhausting the heat (not that much), but arguably more importantly, it's not going to suck dust in through the top.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I would go for the lower left one.. Feeding fresh air, keeping positive pressure (only important if you have filters) and exhausting hot air.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

One point against the lower-left configuration which I've heard was that drawing heat (from the CPU) into the PSU might damage it in the long term.

What do you think?

One point against the lower-left configuration which I've heard was that drawing heat (from the CPU) into the PSU might damage it in the long term.

What do you think?

It's not likely to. PSUs seem to be able to get quite hot quite happily, as far i I know,(from my PSUs dust filter) my PSU's fan has never needed to spin.

a couple of other things to note:

1. not all of the air entering the case will be used to cool the CPU, some will pass into the PSU without being heated up.

2. some of the heat not dissipated by the incoming air will simply escape through the outer case of the PSU and up out of the top vent

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I've decided to go with the lower-left one, as suggested.

I'll monitor the temperatures in the next couple of days and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, guys!