Anybody know anything about bikes?

Comessy

I know this is a tech forum, but I'm sure someone here knows a thing or 2 about bikes.

I need a new bike, as my current one is just in terrible condition and it's struggling to change gears. I will be using it to ride short distances (5km/3mi) at a time.

A car is not an option because I can't get my full licence for another few months

I ride on paved roads and often gravel roads to, but nothing too extreme. I just need it to get me from home to school and back without a problem. I may occasionally take it on light trails while camping.

Budget is $300 max. I would prefer to purchase from Sportchek (https://www.sportchek.ca/), but Canadian tire or Walmart etc would work too.

Here are a few that I was looking at

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/diadora-novara-pro-dual-suspension-bike-2015-331697937.html#331697937=331697941

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/diadora-orbita-hardtail-bike-2015-331697791.html

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/diadora-novara-hardtail-bike-2015-331697824.html

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/supercycle-nitro-xt-26-hardtail-mountain-bike-0711092p.html#.VaLK4PlViSE

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I recommend a hybrid bike for gravel/paved road riding.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

The white Diadora bike looks good, but I wouldn't know what to look at really..

Maybe @TomvanWijnen can help

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

-SNIP-

Probably something like a hard tail would be best if you do a little bit of trail or gravel riding but having mostly everything on pavement. Don't forget to get a good quality lock.

Honestly, if you go with a mountain bike with light tread on the outside and no/very smooth tread in the inside you should be good. As far as what bike, unless you want to spend 500/600 dollars+ I would recommend searching craigslist... if you want to look at a bike, you could ask the seller to meet at a bike shop so a bike mechanic can look over it.

Also, I would agree with W-L, you should be able to get a better hard tail for the same money as a lesser full suspension... you also don't need full suspension if you are only planning on riding tight single (or double) track gravel/dirt, and even some looser tracks.

EDIT: Even though they are normally more expensive, I would go to a local bike shop (if you have any) rather then a box store, they can tell you exaclty what size you need, what the best bike type, tire type and general parts you need. Also, when you buy from a local bike shop, it might be over your budget (400/500 hundred rather then 300 hundred) but they will most likely do a free full tune up, and (Like the shop near me) will help if you have issues, and when it's within the first few months of purchase, might do it for free... I bought a Giant talon 4 and decided mountain biking wasn't for me, had the bike for three weeks and they gave me a full refund and swapped me out to a Defy 5.

EDIT 2: Oh and also, like computer parts or most anything else in life, the more you pay (for the most part) the better and longer lasting the parts will be... all of those bikes you linked have pretty cheap Shimano parts, that wont last long for the price.

EDIT 3: First note, I need to include everything in my original post :P Don't forget you will need a helmet (if you don't have one/a good one), a pump (Once again, you need a good one, something that is good quality and can pump the correct PSI), at least one tube (in case you get a flat, two is better but one is better than nothing), Tire levers,  A bottle cage or a good way to store water like a hydration pack (Hydration is very important), and if you want, a saddle bag, so you can bring the tube, tire levers and other things (Like band-aids/small first aid supplies.) Also, some not as nessacary, but still nice is something like an allen/hex key tool for adjustments, as that is basically what every screw on a bike is. If you are going to be riding at dawn or night, another essential is a headlight and taillight, both need to be bright and the headlight needs to have a wide enough "throw" so that you can see ahead of yourself.

Build Modulus

[x] Intel Core i7 3770 [x] PNY xlr8 16gb(2x8) 1600mhz [x] Asus Strix 970 [x] Corsair h90, 3x corsair sp140, 1x Corsair af120 [x] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [x] NZXT S340 [x] EVGA superNOVA NEX 650w [x] Asus xonar DG,Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro (80ohms), PreSonus M7, PreSonus AudioBox [x] WASD keyboard 104 key(Mx Brown) [x] Corsair M65 RGB [x] WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD, WD passport 1tb [x] Asus VN247H-P, BenQ 2420Z [x]

Cycling Gear

[x] Giant Defy 5 [x] CamelBak Classic 2L [x] Nishiki Socorro [x] Giro Bravo Blue Jewel/Black [x] Midland Xtra-Talk w/ Headset (For Group Rides) [x] Casio G-Shock G100-1BV [x] Zefal Saddle Bag [x] Giant Control Mini MTB+ Frame Pump [x] Schwinn Expanding Cage [x] 2* Giant 700c*25c Tubes - Presta Valve [x] 2* Tire Levers [x] Stanley Allen Key Set [x] Mini-Lock For Saddle Bag [x]

Look at used bikes in that price range. You won't really find a decent bike new under ~$500. 

DO NOT GET A FULL SUSPENSION BIKE. At that price they are horrible. The least you want to spend on a full suspension bike is ~$1000. 

Check the local craigslist first for bikes. An old road bike from the 90s will be better than the bikes you posted. 

Check out this website for bikes too: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

I got my mountain bike from there for $400 and its been working great. Just had to swap the brakes to a better set and now I can tackle much tougher terrain with it.

From what you wrote it sounds like you don't really need a mountain bike. Try looking for a hybrid bike or road bike. They will be much faster on road and its not too hard to tackle dirt roads with a road bike. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Maybe @TomvanWijnen can help

lol thanks :D

I asked my dad, he suggested you:

- to not buy a very cheap new bike.

- buy a bike with mudguards and proper lights (to see stuff, not to be seen!).

- instead of a mountain bike, you could also buy a trekking bike.

- try the second hand market.

- no suspension, because cheap suspensions don't last long (e.g. leaking).

- for the gears: minimum, Shimano Deore. Cheaper versions will quickly give you problems with changing gears.

- if you want to keep it for several years, invest a little bit more. For a little bit more money, you can get something much better (just like in the pc world :))

- In the Netherlands we have different brands, so it's hard to make a decision on that. Try for instance to find a bicycle from the brand "Stevens", or "Cannondale".

This is what my dad can think of at this moment, maybe tomorrow more :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7