Another Generic Internet Issue...

Well, as the name says, I have an Internet Issue with my desktop. It's a pretty normal one, an i3, GTX 750 Ti, Asus motherboard and etc. (Don't talk about that please). But the part I'm most concerned about is my wireless card (I can't use Ethernet).

The brand is TP-Link, and it is a PCI-E 300mbps model; I'm worried that I wasted $20 on this wireless card that cuts out every 10 minutes and forces laag when I'm playing any sort of game that needs wi-fi.

My theories are, that:

1. My Rogers internet is just bad; probably not true because my MacBook Air gets 15 mbps downloading, a.k.a. perfectly fine, or at least I hope so.

2. A bad router; my father was speaking to one of his friends who works at Canada Computers, and talking about how his router, the one I connect to, is only so-so and produces really bad connections up to my room. The router itself is an Asus one, I don't know the model, but it looks like it has sharp angles, and on the front there are little diamond shaped ridges, where blue lights come on to show that it's powered on. Still, my Macbook Air gets really good wi-fi!

3. The wireless card; probably one of the main reasons, as I have said before; a cheap, low quality card with a 300mbps rate. Now, I have been looking at Intel's cards and seeing if they're any better, as they include things like Bluetooth, at a price of around $50, and with Intel's quality. I have been looking especially at theirs, because their wi-fi cards are use all over the place, including my MacBook, which gets really good wi-fi.

4. Maybe it's just the 5 GHz signal; maybe true, but I have seen differences when downloading games on Steam - 5 GHz wi-fi is much faster, or at least I think so, and sadly my current card doesn't support it :( . This could be just the case as my MacBook just proves the other 3 reasons wrong.

5. My crappy mouse; It's a Logitech M525, wireless mouse, but because it doesn't use bluetooth, and my wireless card doesn't support it either, it uses the generic 2.4 GHz signal; now because this is also the signal that my wi-fi uses, it really doesn't help, so even a wired connection would be better than this (I may get a G502 on Black Friday/ Cyber Monday). Then again, it may not be true, but when I unplug the USB nano receiver for my mouse on my MacBook, my wi-fi actually does improve, slightly.

Now, I hope you people out there will be able to help and support me through the dark times of my lag. Here are the 5 best reasons for it I can think of, but I'll leave it to you to figure it out, as I am only a (you may say), "spoiled child" who doesn't deserve his desktop and is a noob at building PCs, but oh well; just PLEASE PLEASE HELP MEEEEE.

Intel i7 3770 | ASUS P8Z77-V | 32GB Kingstorn HyperX Fury | ASUS Dual Radeon RX 480 (4GB)

512GB Samsung 840 Pro | 3TB WD Green | Corsair CX500 | Corsair Carbide 500R

a cheap Wifi card is fine. i have a $20AUD one. ($20AUD ~ $15USD) so chances are your card is better than mine. Don't install the drivers that came with it, windows has good generic driver that are better.

(I am great at words)

I have realized that because my internet is just really bad on 2.4 GHz wi-fi, and much better as 5 GHz, I'm going to get a wireless chip that supports 5 GHz, while also being more reliable and speedy than my boring TP-Link one (which will probably be an Intel chip). Thanks for the tips anyways, guys. I greatly appreciate that real people have come to help me...

Intel i7 3770 | ASUS P8Z77-V | 32GB Kingstorn HyperX Fury | ASUS Dual Radeon RX 480 (4GB)

I have realized that because my internet is just really bad on 2.4 GHz wi-fi, and much better as 5 GHz, I'm going to get a wireless chip that supports 5 GHz, while also being more reliable and speedy than my boring TP-Link one (which will probably be an Intel chip). Thanks for the tips anyways, guys. I greatly appreciate that real people have come to help me...

Just keep in mind, 5GHz can't penetrate walls, floors/ceilings, and dense materials like concrete nearly as well as 2.4GHz. This can mean a much smaller range, but depends on the layout of your house, and the location of the wireless router.

Not saying it's a bad idea or anything, just making you aware in case you were unaware.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Mate,

Got a D-Link one, but it can still use 2.4 GHz, and much better too. 

Thanks anyways.

DEDEDE KAAAAABI