Is PhysX a gimmick?

Cs342

I just ordered a 7970 after years of only using Nvidia. In all the years that I've owned Nvidia graphics cards, only the Batman games have really made me appreciate the effects. Do you guys think that PhysX is a gimmick? Personally I think that some games feel completely bland and boring without it (such as Arkham City) while others (Borderlands 2) just look ridiculous and stupid with PhysX enabled.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

right now, yes, but i strongly belive, devs will start using it more. example is Unreal Engine 4.

It is sort of a gimmick, but some games does use it well. The Batman Arkham series, the Metro Series and Mirror's Edge. Borderlands 2 is one of those games where the Physx effects just look strange and are horribly optimised.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

With borderlands 2 the physx is great until   there is water effects which are horrible and they eat your performance and fps. My i3 just get killed in seconds by the water effects which dont go away after a while they just keep on coming.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I'd say it's a gimmick on the games side as they aren't using it adequately enough.

It has good potential that has yet to be filled.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

right now, yes, but i strongly belive, devs will start using it more. example is Unreal Engine 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHOz5spXVUE

Games based on Unreal 4 engine is gonna be epic.   :wub:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I hope I don't miss PhysX going over to AMD :( Why hasn't the red team come up with their own physic engine yet (aside from TressFX)?

I hope I don't miss PhysX going over to AMD :( Why hasn't the red team come up with their own physic engine yet (aside from TressFX)?

The more u think about it, the more you will miss it. :P I honestly hope RED team wont come up with another prorietary engine into gaming industry.  doh.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It's a gimmick untill its fully used tbh,for example if they use it like they did in ut3 with the physx maps (ctf tornado for example which you could pretty much destroy ever wall/roof there was), and if everyone had it by default,then its kind of gamechanging.

So do AMD gamers feel like they're missing out on a lot? Or are there any AMD-exclusive technologies that make it worthwhile?

So do AMD gamers feel like they're missing out on a lot? Or are there any AMD-exclusive technologies that make it worthwhile?

I've used Nvidia cards for many years but right now I'm sitting with an AMD card and so far I can't say I'm missing anything, so few games really make use of PhysX.

AMD has their TressFX... which is used in only 1 game (?) so far, but it's brand new so.

As it stands today it doesn't make or break the games, at all. It mostly looks cool in tech demos.

PhysX is nice if you play games that use it, You aren't missing enough to ditch your AMD card and buy a Nvidia one though

i7 4790k | Asus Z97 M-Plus | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz | Sapphire R9 390X | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition 

PhysX is nice if you play games that use it, You aren't missing enough to ditch your AMD card and buy a Nvidia one though

It's not that I want to ditch AMD, it's that I just went from Nvidia to AMD!

Has anyone tried running PhysX on a CPU? Btw, should I keep my GTX 460 as a PhysX card or sell it? My 7970 will arrive soon.

Has anyone tried running PhysX on a CPU? Btw, should I keep my GTX 460 as a PhysX card or sell it? My 7970 will arrive soon.

You can't mix AMD and Nvidia cards, drivers would go nuts. Read that it's possible with hacking but yeah...

You're definitely not missing a lot but Physx is still awesome eye-candy

Good enough.

Why do most people say PhysX is a gimmick on other forums but here no one thinks so...

Supposedly ARMA 3 is going to utilize PhysX, I am really looking forward to that game.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

There's also Havok physics (owned by Intel) which is used in a lot of games. Personally, Physx effects makes me dizzy sometimes so I don't enable it. :P

I think it's a nice effect when done right. Games like Borderlands definitely look nicer with it enabled, and also Batman (imo). It introduces a more realistic look to debris, sparks, and smoke. Again, this only applies if it is done correctly, and not overdone.

But games that run on their own physics engines (BF3 for example, with their Frostbite) do look well done also. So if companies are able to implement their own physics engines, that would make physx less of a selling point for nvidia if it already isn't for some.

I honestly couldn't care less for PhysX. The only reason I've stuck with nvidia for my past three cards (two separate builds); GTX 560, 670, and now 680, is their drivers and nvidia attention to user feedback. When I was using AMDs brand (Asus 6850), I was always fidgeting with the drivers, sometimes never getting my system to run, that I just gave up. I wanted to love AMD (I had an older ATI Radeon 3000 something) that I used in my old Dell Inspirion that worked very well.

Supposedly ARMA 3 is going to utilize PhysX, I am really looking forward to that game.

The game it self is not optimize, enabling Physx will simply tank the fps.

I just ordered a 7970 after years of only using Nvidia. In all the years that I've owned Nvidia graphics cards, only the Batman games have really made me appreciate the effects. Do you guys think that PhysX is a gimmick? Personally I think that some games feel completely bland and boring without it (such as Arkham City) while others (Borderlands 2) just look ridiculous and stupid with PhysX enabled.

just curious, why do you switch to AMD from Nvidia ?

IMO yes and no.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB