ASUS ZenBook UX305 vs Lenovo Flex 3?

Hello guys,

I need a laptop for school and narrowed down my options between these two laptops that just fit shy of my $700 budget. The question is I don't know which one I should go for. I know they are both similarly spec-ed, with the Lenovo having a more desirable touchscreen display. (glossy tho. :( ). On the flip side I rather have a 256GB SSD in the Asus then the 500GB/8GB SSD Cache in the Lenovo. I'm a strong Asus advocate but the the Lenovo and some nice features. Although I'm not a big fan of its "Yoga" style folding capabilities. (Not a bad thing, just not a huge selling point for me).

I plan just to use the laptop for everyday tasks, but will need to do some coding on the machine.

Asus ZenBook UX305:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1131836-REG/asus_ux305fa_rbm1_gd_core_m_8gb_256ssd_windows_8_1_13_3_titanium_gold.html

Lenovo Flex 3:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1151213-REG/lenovo_80jk0020us_i5_5200u_8gb_500gb_8gb_windows_8_1_14.html

** In regards to the coding

I personally like the feel of the keyboard on ASUS laptops. The keys are well spaced and feel quite solid, unlike other mushy keyboards. The only thing I don't like is that if you press down into the center of any ASUS laptop, it will dip. I don't see that as a dealbreaker though.

As for Lenovo laptops, I haven't really used them much, so I can't speak for them.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

The Lenovo has a more powerful CPU but that hybrid drive is disappointing.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

UX305. Although the Lenovo has better specs - an i5 and larger storage, the Asus has much better build quality (although I can't speak for the Lenovo) and is extremely light. Plus, for schoolwork, you probably will not notice the difference in horsepower anyway, since they both have 8GB of RAM, which is most important for schoolwork.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

UX305. Although the Lenovo has better specs - an i5 and larger storage, the Asus has much better build quality (although I can't speak for the Lenovo) and is extremely light. Plus, for schoolwork, you probably will not notice the difference in horsepower anyway, since they both have 8GB of RAM, which is most important for schoolwork.

My ASUS survived a drop onto concrete (dented a part of the laptop case open near the HDD, surprised the screen or hinges didn't break <_< ) but it's still working great. The laptop was obviously switched off when it dropped, else it would have been R.I.P. hard drive...

Seagate's software utility can't make its mind up about whether my hard drive is operating properly or not though :lol:

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Thanks for the help guys. I think ASUS still holds its own, but I gotta admit a touch screen + Win. 8 seems pretty appealing...

Thanks for the help guys. I think ASUS still holds its own, but I gotta admit a touch screen + Win. 8 seems pretty appealing...

I have the UX305 and it's okay if you ONLY use it for school work. It's processor is so weak that it's basically limited at using gmail + steaming 2 1080p twitch streams. The build is great (one of the best I've seen) but I personally prefer a more powerful laptop.

FYI, I would recommend the Y40-80 80FA001CUS / 80FA0017US ( http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40-80/ ) which is pretty good if you don't mind the keyboard flex and mediocre screen quality. 

you aren't gonna use touchscreen anyway

you mess the screen up touching it

people use a touch screen for 5 mins..and then go back to mouse and keyboard

touchscreen only belongs on tablets...not pcs

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I have the UX305 and it's okay if you ONLY use it for school work. It's processor is so weak that it's basically limited at using gmail + steaming 2 1080p twitch streams. The build is great (one of the best I've seen) but I personally prefer a more powerful laptop.

That's what I was thinking......The i5-5200U in the Lenovo is much more beefy than the Core M-5Y10...I guess that's what scares me the most. I can suck up to hybrid ssd but the cpu seems too under-powered...

Well that might be true in some aspects....

This is me personally but I wished I had picked the version of my laptop with the touchscreen. I have used another Asus laptop with a touchscreen and it comes in very handy, especially for things like 3D design, showing presentations, and media control. I also like the ability to disable them through device manager B) so you can chill in the rain with your laptop without your screen clicking everything.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame