Ultrabook Hunting Assistance Required

Go to solution Solved by Fred Castellum,

Well it's decided, I'm going to get the Zenbook. Anyone know of accessories that might be of use? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232393

Greetings fellow LTT members! 

I'm looking for a light ultrabook that packs a punch in terms of performance while still having excellent battery life. Will more than likely not game on this laptop.

My pick at the moment is this ASUS Zenbook UX305FA-ASM1

I've got a budget of $500 to $800 USD, I may or may not be able to bump the budget up depending on the deals found. Help me out please!

4Fez7w5.jpg?1

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

How much of a pay raise are we talking about here? @ Heaven Society

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Hey, those headphones looks very familiar. 

The Zenbook is amazing in terms of build and appearance. I have a friend with one, they're so nice. Does get hot though. 

Did you consider a Macbook ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

That one is nice, the only other one I can think of right now is the

Dell XPS 13 - 2015 Edition

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9343-laptop?dgc=BA&cid=287047&lid=5494548&acd=123092118502786720&ven3=175602896788151761

Or something from acer aspire S series

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

May I suggest a gauss rifle?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Looks like the same thing I just linked.

Hey, those headphones looks very familiar. 

The Zenbook is amazing in terms of build and appearance. I have a friend with one, they're so nice. Does get hot though. 

Probably because you own a pair! Silly!

Here read this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/incisive-audio-technica-ath-msr7

Did you consider a Macbook ?

Not at all. I don't want to use a unfamiliar os, I see no reason to use a macbook. Apples products are used as fashion statements all the time around here...

That one is nice, the only other one I can think of right now is the

Dell XPS 13 - 2015 Edition

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9343-laptop?dgc=BA&cid=287047&lid=5494548&acd=123092118502786720&ven3=175602896788151761

Or something from acer aspire S series

I considered that, however it has less ram. =/ 

That's below the budget lol.

9dj8JPc.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

MacBooks are actually great ultrabooks, battery life goes for 8+ hours, OS is great ( I've used windows my whole life and I just snapped in OS X when I got an Air ) You get Pages, Numbers, Keynote and others for free with the MacBook ( and these are very useful unlike on windows you have to pay to use MS office suite ), the Macbook like you said is stylish it looks good and like if you scratch it it's okay there is more silver.

Some of Macbook Pros on top of my head.

Also what will you be using it for ? ( the ultrabook )

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

MacBooks are actually great ultrabooks, battery life goes for 8+ hours, OS is great ( I've used windows my whole life and I just snapped in OS X when I got an Air ) You get Pages, Numbers, Keynote and others for free with the MacBook ( and these are very useful unlike on windows you have to pay to use MS office suite ), the Macbook like you said is stylish it looks good and like if you scratch it it's okay there is more silver.

It's used as a fashion statement but I've never said it looked stylish and good, my definition of stylish definitely isn't the macbook.

I'll stick with the tried and true windows OS that I'm accustomed with.  

It's used as a fashion statement but I've never said it looked stylish and good, my definition of stylish definitely isn't the macbook.

I'll stick with the tried and true windows OS that I'm accustomed with.

Dude it's a great ultrabook even if they use it as a fashion statement, I could only like advice you to go and try at Apple store or any retailer or like one of your friends.

Bootcamp is a thing too.

But if you want windows that much there is Dell XPS 13 which is great, and there is the Asus Zenbook ( battery life not a strong point ), there is also the Thinkpad series from Lenovo and for example the Yoga and X1 Carbon are pretty good.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

@MyInnerFred less ram?

Upgrade it then lol.

The Dell claims to have a battery life of 12 hours, that's something!

Ram and hdd can be upgrade, the rest probably not.

The xps 13 2015 has soldered ram. It really sucks I was thinking about getting one as well but that's a bit of a deal breaker.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

If the hardware for the price is good,

Can you put windows on that?

Just poking around for my sister,looking for an alternative from the Flex 2 and Yogo 2/Zenbook (Both Pricy) for her 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

If the hardware for the price is good,

Can you put windows on that?

Yeah you use bootcamp and like use windows on it.

I would recommend the Air 13".

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Yeah you use bootcamp and like use windows on it.

I would recommend the Air 13".

Link please?

Link please?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MJVE2LL-Laptop-VERSION/dp/B00VJ1P7TS/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436236804&sr=1-7&keywords=MacBook+Air

For some reasons like it's more expensive in US than UAE ( wit these prices seems like it's little bit expensive and like not worth considering the competition ).

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

but.. its from apple... >_> 

thier products are great. 

i even like their OS. 

just dont support companies like apple, foxcon, ect. *sigh* *grits teeth* :/ 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

might i suggest an HP envy M6? ;)

overheats at boot up without a cooling mod, can barely run starbound at 3x zoom (basically ''low settings'' ) at 15 FPS and only has 4 gigs of usable memory. ;)

eh? 

eh? :D

if you buy me one of those dell XPS thingy's i'll give the HP envy to you for free. ;):D

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

might i suggest an HP envy M6? ;)

overheats at boot up without a cooling mod, can barely run starbound at 3x zoom (basically ''low settings'' ) at 15 FPS and only has 4 gigs of usable memory. ;)

eh? 

eh? :D

if you buy me one of those dell XPS thingy's i'll give the HP envy to you for free. ;):D

10/10 horrible deal.