Conflicting Temperature Readings

Hey Guys,

I'm posting because I am getting some conflicting temperature readings. In Speccy it says that my CPU temperature is at 70C and it jumps crazy, going from 50to 70to 60o. I thought it was due to me overclocking, I have the AMD A10-7870K, I OC'd from 3.9 to 4.35, and OC'd the north bridge just a little maybe 100MHz-200MHz, and I even lowered the voltages once I read the meters and they were no where near what the stock setting was. But when I look at the ASRock software that came with the computer it says the temperature is only 32idel and 48o-49o at load. So then I got HWMonitor from CPUID and it says my socket is 32idle, but my core temps are at 66o. How can the socket be this much cooler than the cores? I checked the thermal paste 3 times and each time it spreads out evenly and it's not much just a thin layer. 

Can you guys help me figure out this problem?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS B350-F Gaming, Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16GB, PowerColor Red Devil 5600 XT, NZXT H500, 1x512GB Seagate Barracuda NVMe, 2x2TB Firecuda 7200RPM, 1x250GB Intel SSD (Cache), 1x4TB Seagate 7200RPM Ironwolf (Backup), 650w EVGA Bronze

Hey Guys,

I'm posting because I am getting some conflicting temperature readings. In Speccy it says that my CPU temperature is at 70C and it jumps crazy, going from 50to 70to 60o. I thought it was due to me overclocking, I have the AMD A10-7870K, I OC'd from 3.9 to 4.35, and OC'd the north bridge just a little maybe 100MHz-200MHz, and I even lowered the voltages once I read the meters and they were no where near what the stock setting was. But when I look at the ASRock software that came with the computer it says the temperature is only 32idel and 48o-49o at load. So then I got HWMonitor from CPUID and it says my socket is 32idle, but my core temps are at 66o. How can the socket be this much cooler than the cores? I checked the thermal paste 3 times and each time it spreads out evenly and it's not much just a thin layer. 

Can you guys help me figure out this problem?

You shouldn't make two threads about the same problem. AMD usually have higher temps and if you're overclocking it, it should have higher temps.

• OS: Windows 10/10 Pro  • SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Evo Series *  • HDD: Seagate 1TB  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X (SLI)
• CPU: i7-4790K OC 4.7GHz Quad-Core Processor • Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W
• RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory • Mobo: MSI Gaming 5

Don't double post. Temperature sensors on AMD  often have a mind of their own. 

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

WILL YOU STOP POSTING THIS?

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Had same problem with my 8350. It has something to do with cpu not reporting temps correctly or reporting them differently compared to other cpus. Speccy can't read it properly. To monitor cpu I used software that came with MSI motherboard. Actually your temps are fine, they just are not displayed properly.

I am sorry for my english.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS B350-F Gaming, Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16GB, PowerColor Red Devil 5600 XT, NZXT H500, 1x512GB Seagate Barracuda NVMe, 2x2TB Firecuda 7200RPM, 1x250GB Intel SSD (Cache), 1x4TB Seagate 7200RPM Ironwolf (Backup), 650w EVGA Bronze

its summer

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

its summer

Exactly lol

I would trust HWmonitor over speccy any day of the week. What cooler are you using?

By the way, it's normal for the cpu to be hotter than the socket, however 66c is already pretty high for an AMD cpu. Lower your oc a bit or get your fans spinning faster, 64c is where the cpu starts throttling iirc so keeping it in these conditions won't grant you better performance than a slightly lower clocked, but not thermal throttling cpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You want crazy? Unengine heaven reports 170,000 degrees on my gpu.

What the holy fuck

I would trust HWmonitor over speccy any day of the week. What cooler are you using?

By the way, it's normal for the cpu to be hotter than the socket, however 66c is already pretty high for an AMD cpu. Lower your oc a bit or get your fans spinning faster, 64c is where the cpu starts throttling iirc so keeping it in these conditions won't grant you better performance than a slightly lower clocked, but not thermal throttling cpu.

I have the A10-7870K I actually can touch the heat sink and it's cool, I uninstalled the heatsink to touch the CPU and that was running cool too. I turned the fan up on the controller to 3800RPM and the temp just dropped like 3 degrees. I even underclocked it down to 2.8GHz still the same thing.

The cooler I'm using is the Cooler Master Nepton 140XL.

I have the A10-7870K I actually can touch the heat sink and it's cool, I uninstalled the heatsink to touch the CPU and that was running cool too. I turned the fan up on the controller to 3800RPM and the temp just dropped like 3 degrees. I even underclocked it down to 2.8GHz still the same thing.

The cooler I'm using is the Cooler Master Nepton 140XL.

You may have a broken pump in your AIO. Or, if you're lucky, you just applied thermal paste in a poor way. Try cleaning the cpu and aio, then re-install it making sure you didn't put too much thermal paste on it (you only need a small dot the size of a jelly bean in the middle), then fire it us and see what happens. While it's on turn down the fan and listen carefully close to the waterblock; if you can't hear the pump you may have a dead cooler. Still, 3°c would already bring you back in the comfort zone, 63c is fine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You may have a broken pump in your AIO. Or, if you're lucky, you just applied thermal paste in a poor way. Try cleaning the cpu and aio, then re-install it making sure you didn't put too much thermal paste on it (you only need a small dot the size of a jelly bean in the middle), then fire it us and see what happens. While it's on turn down the fan and listen carefully close to the waterblock; if you can't hear the pump you may have a dead cooler. Still, 3°c would already bring you back in the comfort zone, 63c is fine.

I'm going to check this out as soon as I get home. I tried many different configurations. The A10-7870k came with a pretty decent cooler. I'm going to clean off that paste and reapply it. And check the cooler in another system.

I'm just going to answer the question about why core temp and socket temp are so different. The socket temp is actually measured under the chip, core temp inside the chip. So for real world use, always use core temp.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This is a screenshot of the temperatures that I am receiving

post-238330-0-33351400-1436221532_thumb.

post-238330-0-33351400-1436221532_thumb.