what is your opinion of the 970 ?

maxtiggertom

just wondering because I'm thinking of getting one for my next upgrade 2-3 years down the line i currently have a 280x as my main GPU any thoughts ? 

Beautiful. 

Do you mean you'll be upgrading in 2-3 years, or that's how long since your last upgrade? 

It'll probably be a weak ass card 2-3 years later. Get whatever comes out then. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

If you're going to wait 2-3 years, then look then.

If you want to buy it now, it's a great card, in that price braket the only competitor is the R9 390.

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I bought the Palit gtx 970 a few days ago, £249 cant go wrong and it has a great boost clock. 

Best thing is that the fans only run when they need to  B), it runs what ever I can throw at it smooth as butter so yes it would last 3 years imo.

[Mighty Car Mods]

Intel Core i5-3550 @4.2GHz | DarkRock2 w/2fans (Ghetto mod) | Palit Jetstream GTX 970 | MSI Z77A-GD65 | Corsair Vengeance Racing Red 2133MHz 10-10-10-25 | NZXT Lexa S case

It's shit, get a 390.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

As an AMD user...

Cons

Slightly overpriced (average price could easily drop by 25 bucks)

Slightly overhyped

Not 100% 4GB GDDR5 7GBs RAM (not a huge deal now, but in the future, it will be more so)

narrow bus (Why Nvidia, WHY so narrow)

Pros

Solid card, good price to performance in general, comparing Nvidia to Nvidia. If comparing to AMD, the 970 misses the mark price wise with the current R9 290X and 390 on the market beating it at either performance or price.

Gameworks friendly (for now. Looking at kepler nerf. How does things go once pascal comes out?)

Very good overclocker

Has CUDA

Now. Other then this, features matter little, because AMD has similar offerings that makes sense. Gsync vs Freesync, DSR vs VSR, HD3D vs Nvidia 3D, Eyefinity vs Nvidia Surround, Raptr vs Shadowplay etc....

I do foresee that the 900 series in general, will take a hit "future" wise. Mostly due to Nvidia not being very generous with their bus width or memory capacity. So in general, this card will be bandwidth starved, in addition to having 0.5GB of broken GDDR5 memory.

No point in looking at a current card if you are buying it 2-3 years later. Tech moves quickly, and while the 970 will still be a decent card then, there will be much better options for the money.

The gtx 780 came out around 3 years ago, and there is no reason now to get a 780 over other cards like the 970.

Look for a card when you intend to buy it.

Edit: do you mean you will be upgrading in 3 years or want a card now that will last 3 years

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I bought the Palit gtx 970 a few days ago, £249 cant go wrong and it has a great boost clock. 

Best thing is that the fans only run when they need to  B), it runs what ever I can throw at it smooth as butter so yes it would last 3 years imo.

My fellow MCM brotheren :D

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

ill rate it 3.5 out of 4

http://niceme.me

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

The ram fragmentation is kinda wonky

while not everyone having problem with it doesn't mean it is okay in general

I don't see any problem with pricing method (if they worried about cost in general)

they just want to make 980 far superior than 970, which in the end doesn't even matter since 980ti is been released.

for full performance it's a bit weird for few games here and there if you are using more than 3.5GB ram.

but again, since you are upgrading years later, I don't think this still relevant. I bet they will release more better card in the future.

Beautiful. 

Do you mean you'll be upgrading in 2-3 years, or that's how long since your last upgrade? 

the former 

that's the one i'm looking at on amazon uk btw it's £239.99 now lol  :ph34r:

My fellow MCM brotheren :D

I thought there might be at least someone who likes MCM and be on here  B)

that's the one i'm looking at on amazon uk btw it's £239.99 now lol  :ph34r:

Arse! I used Aria.co.uk they was the cheapest literally last week, oh well only a tenner.. lol.

[Mighty Car Mods]

Intel Core i5-3550 @4.2GHz | DarkRock2 w/2fans (Ghetto mod) | Palit Jetstream GTX 970 | MSI Z77A-GD65 | Corsair Vengeance Racing Red 2133MHz 10-10-10-25 | NZXT Lexa S case