2-Bay Raid 1 NAS Pro Video [2x6TB] - WD MyCloud EX2 vs. Synology DS214play

Hey guys, I need some input!

I do event & wedding cinematography at a semi-professional level. I deal with 60-170GB of footage per projects for clients. I am looking for a RAID 1 solution so I am protected against drive failure. Currently, I am not trying to solve the problem of "backing up"; I'm focussed on getting a preventative measure for failure of a drive. Adding internal hard drives is out, I'm really set on Network storage. I'm planning on using 2 WD 6TB Red drives (for sure).

Here are the two models I'm stuck between, price is not a bottleneck but I do want to save money if possible...

For the WD MyCloud EX2, I really like the ease of use of this machine and it looks like it doesn't enough of what I need it to do with some bonus things. It looks simple enough that I don't think I'll have a headache when setting it up. I also really like the easy hot swap... It has good amount of USB ports too. For the DS214play, I really like that it has a hardware H.264 transcoder... I film and edit with mainly 1080p video files... This may help with looking through footage ( at least i think it will; especially over the internet). I love the control that you have with the Synology DSM software. I'm pretty much sold, it looks decent and handleable since I have a limited knowledge about networking. Both NAS options allow for file sharing which is great. I like the way that "users" work on the Synology management. Right now I'm just stuck between a sort of limitless experience with a Synology DS214play or the ease of use of a WD MyCloud EX2. 

If anyone has any other NAS suggestions, I might reconsider...

~snip~

Hey CaptRex635,

The WD My Cloud EX2 is indeed very easy to set up and operate with. If you are looking for a simple network storage that you can access and transfer data from and to over the network and internet, it should do the job perfectly fine. It does have some additional features that you might find interesting and useful (like the third party app support).

I could also suggest taking a look at the WD My Cloud EX2100 and WD My Cloud DL2100 both offering good, reliable and newer functions:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey CaptRex635,

The WD My Cloud EX2 is indeed very easy to set up and operate with. If you are looking for a simple network storage that you can access and transfer data from and to over the network and internet, it should do the job perfectly fine. It does have some additional features that you might find interesting and useful (like the third party app support).

I could also suggest taking a look at the WD My Cloud EX2100 and WD My Cloud DL2100 both offering good, reliable and newer functions:

Captain_WD.

Thank you for your input! I'm now interested in the two units you linked... From the two, I'm guessing I should go with the EX2100... I looked more into it and I like it. I'm pretty much sold at this point but I have one question. I plan to run it as a regular NAS, but lets say there's a scenario where I find myself needing to access the drives directly... Is it possible to access the unit directly, such as off of a network? 

Thank you for your input! I'm now interested in the two units you linked... From the two, I'm guessing I should go with the EX2100... I looked more into it and I like it. I'm pretty much sold at this point but I have one question. I plan to run it as a regular NAS, but lets say there's a scenario where I find myself needing to access the drives directly... Is it possible to access the unit directly, such as off of a network? 

Since you'll be using this for accessing and transferring data over the network and internet only, I'd say any of the three would do the job. The DL2100 has the fastest processor and should be functioning the smoothest, but it really depends on the workload you are going to push through it.

Connecting a NAS directly to a PC could be a bit tricky. Using Linux is much easier, but still needs some additional settings. I'd suggest sticking to using a switch and a router and still accessing from your inner network.

If you need to connect a NAS directly to a PC via a Ethernet cable, you would need to set both the NAS's and the PC's IPs to static and configure the network settings in order to access them. You can also do this in Ubuntu. :) I've set up a WD My Cloud EX2 in such a way and it works by simply setting the static IPs of the NAS to the same as if it is connected through the network (you can easily do this through the NAS's UI unter network settings) and the PC's IP. There are some guides on how you can do that on the internet with more details. Same goes for Ubuntu. :) This way you can access the data even if you don't have a router or a switch.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Since you'll be using this for accessing and transferring data over the network and internet only, I'd say any of the three would do the job. The DL2100 has the fastest processor and should be functioning the smoothest, but it really depends on the workload you are going to push through it.

Connecting a NAS directly to a PC could be a bit tricky. Using Linux is much easier, but still needs some additional settings. I'd suggest sticking to using a switch and a router and still accessing from your inner network.

If you need to connect a NAS directly to a PC via a Ethernet cable, you would need to set both the NAS's and the PC's IPs to static and configure the network settings in order to access them. You can also do this in Ubuntu. :) I've set up a WD My Cloud EX2 in such a way and it works by simply setting the static IPs of the NAS to the same as if it is connected through the network (you can easily do this through the NAS's UI unter network settings) and the PC's IP. There are some guides on how you can do that on the internet with more details. Same goes for Ubuntu. :) This way you can access the data even if you don't have a router or a switch.

Captain_WD.

Okay that sounds great! I am also looking for a USB 3.0 RAID 1 external unit that we could use maybe for editing off of and side copies of projects... Should I be looking at the My Book Duo?

Okay that sounds great! I am also looking for a USB 3.0 RAID 1 external unit that we could use maybe for editing off of and side copies of projects... Should I be looking at the My Book Duo?

WD My Book Duo is a good drive that does have RAID functions and should work pretty good so I'd say yes. :) 
If you are using a Mac or have a Thunderbolt port, I can suggest checking out WD My Passport Pro. It is a portable RAID solution that uses Thunderbolt connection and is capable of great speeds while being portable. Here's a link with more info if you'd like to check it out: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=tvSZbp

Do have in mind that both the My Book and the My Passport series have hardware encryption which means that data that goes there is encrypted all the time and the drives inside the enclosures cannot be read if used separately or with other enclosures. 

Captain_WD.