Why are internal USB 3.0 connectors always so large?

Kevin_Walter

GLYPonj.jpg

There just doesn't seem to be any logic to it. Other connectors aren't this large. It looks more like something you would plug into your wall than an internal motherboard header.

In other news... why the hell aren't the system power and led cables standardized yet!? 2015 and I still have to plug in each individual little plug with my big fat fingers!

:unsure:

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Because USB 3 ports have more pins, so the connections will take up more room.

There is the logic.

USB 3.0 not only carries more bandwidth, but way, way more power....more power, more wires.....MAWH!!!!!!!!

Because USB 3 ports have more pins, so the connections will take up more room.

There is the logic.

It's not valid logic though. Not for the giant plastic plug they use for them.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

so you don't have to connect individual wires into the plug. And because of the raisins.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Each port has 9 Pins, headers are made to give 2 ports, so 18 Pins + 1 for keying (so you don't plug it wrongly)

This is a signature.

WTF? It's 1 plug which is easy to plug in instead of several smaller ones and it has MORE pins.

Don't be so butt hurt over something which is better than another problem you're bitching about in the same post xD

WTF? It's 1 plug which is easy to plug in instead of several smaller ones and it has MORE pins.

Don't be so butt hurt over something which is better than another problem you're bitching about in the same post xD

It was insane to plug pin by pin in 2.0 imagine in 3.0...

This is a signature.

Why Is ESATA red? It ruins my blue on sliver look for my rear I/O........(grin)

Why Is ESATA red? It ruins my blue on sliver look for my rear I/O........(grin)

DAMN MAN

so you don't have to connect individual wires into the plug. And because of the raisins.

Each port has 9 Pins, headers are made to give 2 ports, so 18 Pins + 1 for keying (so you don't plug it wrongly)

You're all missing the point. It's not about why there are 18 pins or why the connector itself is so large. The point is that the giant molded plastic housing for the plug is ridiculously large.

Compare.

USB3-Intel-cable-conn-s.jpg

usb3.0_connector.jpg

You're all missing the point. It's not about why there are 18 pins or why the connector itself is so large. The point is that the giant molded plastic housing for the plug is ridiculously large.

Compare.

USB3-Intel-cable-conn-s.jpg

usb3.0_connector.jpg

You're missing the point I made on: don't be so butt hurt.

What are you wishing you could do with the space if it wasn't taken up by the required plastic moulding? xD

You're missing the point I made on: don't be so butt hurt.

What are you wishing you could do with the space if it wasn't taken up by the required plastic moulding? xD

You're seriously going to ask that question on a forum filled with people who are anal about cable management?

"butthurt"

Go back to youtube, dude.

Compare.

It's a matter of standard.  Likely the connector is "overbuilt" for the current signaling so that USB 3.2 and beyond can use the same one without violating future compatability. 

It is quite the pain, but I've noticed the good manufacturers create right-angled internal USB 3 headers which can alleviate routing issues.  

That being said, there are often "out of spec" versions - similar to the way how intel bundles super flexible thin SATA cables that are technically not within spec. 

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

It's a matter of standard.  Likely the connector is "overbuilt" for the current signaling so that USB 3.2 and beyond can use the same one without violating future compatability. 

It is quite the pain, but I've noticed the good manufacturers create right-angled internal USB 3 headers which can alleviate routing issues.  

That being said, there are often "out of spec" versions - similar to the way how intel bundles super flexible thin SATA cables that are technically not within spec. 

Yeah? You know of any extensions maybe? I did a quick search yesterday but all I saw were normal USB extensions. Nothing for the internal plugs. Admittedly didn't search very hard though.

Yeah? You know of any extensions maybe? I did a quick search yesterday but all I saw were normal USB extensions. Nothing for the internal plugs. Admittedly didn't search very hard though.

I've not seen any that do away with the "bulk" of the connector - there are extensions, but they're just as bulky and hard to bend into nice easy runs.  

Based on how new the connector is to the mainstream, expect to see newer connectors trickle down soon.  Don't forget that nobody had a complaint about the USB 2.0 header so there was kind of no market for this before - even SATA cables took a LOOOOOOOoooong time to get the "out of spec" thin cables (10+ years).  Engineering these cables so that they don't instantly fail and fry your board/device is no easy feat and when people expect to pay <$5 for these types of cables, nobody's willing to invest for marginal returns. 

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

You're seriously going to ask that question on a forum filled with people who are anal about cable management?

"butthurt"

Go back to youtube, dude.

HAHAHA.

At least your USB 3 cable has flat cables. Mine has round ones the size of a dildo.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

A connector that carries two identical signals shouldn't be keyed. Who cares if the motherboard knows which USB port is which?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

A connector that carries two identical signals shouldn't be keyed. Who cares if the motherboard knows which USB port is which?

If you rotate the connector 180 it'd connect things like some data pin with power input

This is a signature.

If you rotate the connector 180 it'd connect things like some data pin with power input

It shouldn't. That's a hallmark of poor engineering in my book. It should just switch around which ports the mobo thinks are the left and right ones.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It shouldn't. That's a hallmark of poor engineering in my book. It should just switch around which ports the mobo thinks are the left and right ones.

Sadly the header isn't designed to be reversed (even though it'd be pretty simple by just moving some pins)

why? I don't really know...

This is a signature.

Sadly the header isn't designed to be reversed (even though it'd be pretty simple by just moving some pins)

why? I don't really know...

Exactly.