AMD Quad Core vs Intel Dual Core + HT

I'm picking out the parts for my friends build, and I got stuck at the CPU. I know he doesn't really plan on playing too many hard to run games so I picked an Intel i3 4160 with hyper threading.

But just in case he does I also thought that maybe I should go with an AMD quad core just in case he does end up playing those games Far Cry 4 and also to future proof a little bit more.

Which one do you guys thinking I should go with? 

I know that quad cores are kind of a know brainer for gaming but I've heard that even i3's with HT are actually better than quad core AMD CPU's in a lot of instances.

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

This is meant to be a budget build for games like League of Legends, Minecraft, and CS:GO. Nothing is being upgraded, and the budget isn't going anywhere

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

I'm picking out the parts for my friends build, and I got stuck at the CPU. I know he doesn't really plan on playing too many hard to run games so I picked an Intel i3 4160 with hyper threading.

But just in case he does I also thought that maybe I should go with an AMD quad core just in case he does end up playing those games Far Cry 4 and also to future proof a little bit more.

Which one do you guys thinking I should go with? 

I know that quad cores are kind of a know brainer for gaming but I've heard that even i3's with HT are actually better than quad core AMD CPU's in a lot of instances.

the i3 is better. Although it is a dual core, it has HT which makes it seem like a quad core. So your friend can play FC4. Intel is like a bike that can go 8 cycles per second and has two pedals. While AMD is a bike with four pedals to get 8 cycles per second. Meaning Intel has stronger cores compared to AMD

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

i3, If you go with a Quad core from AMD you will do the opposite of future proofing, You would lock the PC down so it wont be as easily upgraded.

If you go with a i3 it will be upgradable to a i5, i7 and Xeon e3

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

i3, If you go with a Quad core from AMD you will do the opposite of future proofing, You would lock the PC down so it wont be as easily upgraded.

If you go with a i3 it will be upgradable to a i5, i7 and Xeon e3

That's actually very true and something I hadn't really thought about. The quad core is kind of future proof because it will handle games in the future. But the Motherboard locks you down to AMD socketed CPU's which are obviously not the way to go for upgradibility if you plan on going for a higher end system. If I go with the i3, at least you'll be able to just switch out the processor for say an i5 because of the Intel 1150 socket. Good call

This is meant to be a budget build for games like League of Legends, Minecraft, and CS:GO. Nothing is being upgraded, and the budget isn't going anywhere

I would try for a 4460 and a 270 because this games are not that GPU demanding, and GPU's get upgraded more frequently then CPU's.

Aren't there games that refuse to launch if your processor isn't a true quadcore? I feel like that's reason to go quadcore like the 860K, which isn't bad. But overall i3 will be better. It has very close to the same performance in properly multithreaded workloads and it's quite a bit faster for everything else.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.