Going to be writing a book. Need help deciding something

techswede

Hullo

Currently planning a book writing project and i need help deciding one simple thing.

The setting.

Should i go with a gritty and dark fantasy setting? 

Or a more down to earth historical/medieval setting? 

These are the main settings i've yet to base a book in and i honestly can't decide.

Either way it'll be a cloak and dagger story.

Feel free to discuss writing in the comments if you are into that^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I like magicks and shite.

Wanted Build: i5 4690K, Z97-A, Vengeance 16GB, Samsung 256GB SSD, 980TI, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Keyboard: Blackwidow Chroma Mouse: G502 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 2 Phone: Samsung S6 Edge Tablet: iPad 2

Investing in becoming a Logitech fanboi?

I like books that involve relationships and dating. If you want me to read a book by you, it's gotta be about that. But out of those two, fantasy seems more interesting.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Everything I've ever heard from successful authors is you just kind of write and the story tells itself.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Everything I've ever heard from successful authors is you just kind of write and the story tells itself.

That is true. When i get going it flows on its own. But this particular one will need a bit more planning. I'm hoping for a series with a rich and interesing world to base it in.

Is historical fantasy an option?

Do you mean taking an actual historical event and rewriting it with a fantasy flare?

Or fantasy set in a medieval world?

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Fantasy is in the lead.

Voting ends in 13.5 hours.

@techswede - I prefer magic and fantasy, but you could give it a historic twist! :D Historical fantasy! :D

You can give magical background to many historical events :D

With fantasy, you have limitless amount of ideas, with history you don't. But, depending on your imagination, you can make a good historical fantasy story from one good mix :D

@techswede - I prefer magic and fantasy, but you could give it a historic twist! :D Historical fantasy! :D

You can give magical background to many historical events :D

With fantasy, you have limitless amount of ideas, with history you don't. But, depending on your imagination, you can make a good historical fantasy story from one good mix :D

Writing the war of the roses as fantasy would be a neat ide... Damn it George RR Martin beat me to it xD

I'll probably build my own world either way. It seems more fun that way :)

The story is pretty much set with some really good scenes for both fantasy and non fantasy^^ just need to tie them together after i decide which setting it is

That is true. When i get going it flows on its own. But this particular one will need a bit more planning. I'm hoping for a series with a rich and interesing world to base it in.

Do you mean taking an actual historical event and rewriting it with a fantasy flare?

Or fantasy set in a medieval world?

Fantasy set in medieval world. 

Fantasy set in medieval world. 

That was the thought^^ 

Writing the war of the roses as fantasy would be a neat ide... Damn it George RR Martin beat me to it xD

I'll probably build my own world either way. It seems more fun that way :)

The story is pretty much set with some really good scenes for both fantasy and non fantasy^^ just need to tie them together after i decide which setting it is

That was the thought^^ 

Add magic!

When i write something (i plan on writing something, someday), i'll surely add magic! :D

Add magic!

When i write something (i plan on writing something, someday), i'll surely add magic! :D

Judging by the current votes it seems likely that i'll be adding magic  ^_^

I'd be happy to read it then^^ 

I would never read a history book (unless it was for school or research). Fantasy means you get to actually make up your own story and make the reader enjoy it more.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Judging by the current votes it seems likely that i'll be adding magic  ^_^

I'd be happy to read it then^^ 

That will be in a long time, and it'll be written in Serbian (/jk, i'll probably write it in English :D) :P

Write an alternate history where the Axis powers win WWII...

and involve magic and stuff...

That was the thought^^ 

You have to have a lot of main characters and kill them off or else I won't read it  ;)

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I would never read a history book (unless it was for school or research). Fantasy means you get to actually make up your own story and make the reader enjoy it more.

By historical/medieval setting i basically meant 1200-1500AD in terms of setting. Swords and bows and castles etc. Not a historical textbook

You have to have a lot of main characters and kill them off or else I won't read it  ;)

You either finish writing.. Or write long enough to become George RR Martin..

Writing fantasy will be a challenge because of that guy :/

@techswede whatever you write... make sure you sneak in some easter eggs. 

Already have some subtle ones planned :P  

That will be in a long time, and it'll be written in Serbian (/jk, i'll probably write it in English :D) :P

I'd just wait for the translation of it was in serbian xD 

Write an alternate history where the Axis powers win WWII...

and involve magic and stuff...

Medieval focus here^^ WWII would be a cool setting if i sprinkled some magic on its not what i'm into right now

- sniped -

Will you be posting chapters on this forum ? 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Will you be posting chapters on this forum ? 

It would be the first book i ever publish

(I've written about 6 so far and deleted them when i was done)

So i'd probably throw it out for free somewhere.

Posting it here would be a bit of a bad idea since everyone would just start screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAADVERTISING! FUCK OFF"

It would be the first book i ever publish

(I've written about 6 so far and deleted them when i was done)

So i'd probably throw it out for free somewhere.

Posting it here would be a bit of a bad idea since everyone would just start screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAADVERTISING! FUCK OFF"

But ... but ... It won't be advertising if you don't use your real name ... Therefore it isn't agaisnt the CoC .... Plus , I want to read it ... #LoopHole 

But ... but ... It won't be advertising if you don't use your real name ... Therefore it isn't agaisnt the CoC .... Plus , I want to read it ... #LoopHole 

If you can wait for one or two years it you might get to xD

If you can wait for one or two years it you might get to xD

If you are not the best selling author ... Your book isn't going to appear in my local book store ... 

Gritty and dark medievil fantasy with (adult, but not necessarily "erotica")romance for the win.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs