Any of you outsmarted teachers when it comes to tech at school/college/university

asim1999

Well, not really as I don't hang about any of them "well educated folk" from fancy places, but I did have a short argument with one that "had a degree" who refused to explain to me what part of the Japanese language gives him a right to omit words of choice.

I still think about it; what the hell was he on about? :unsure:

What do you mean by that in Japanese? You can easily omit many words in Japanese that you can't in English, just due to the way that the language works. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

If your teacher doesn't know much about hardware, I would discuss it with them after class. I wouldn't point it out in the middle of class. I had a Comp Sci teacher last quarter that was absolutely awesome! One day in class, he made a comment that was incorrect (I forget what it is now, unfortunately) and brought it to his attention after class, and he reconciled his mistake next class. From then on, he deferred to me about things he wasn't sure about. He was a great guy, and it was a fascinating class since he knew an awful lot of stuff about old hardware (which is where most of my knowledge is missing.) I really enjoyed that class, and I think he enjoyed having me. Try having some tact, it may pay off later. 

Well he mistreated all his students, and even shouted at the clever ones 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

What do you mean by that in Japanese? You can easily omit many words in Japanese that you can't in English, just due to the way that the language works. 

I mean the word is there in the text and can be translated properly, but he omits them. Another example is omitting important morphology, like tense, to favor his own translations. For example, if a piece of Japanese text had content talking about a cat going to the restaurant to meet her friend, he'd omit the friend part leaving just the part where the cat is going to the restaurant.

It is a bit hard to describe, but words he shouldn't and couldn't he did it to and claimed it is right. And he wouldn't even explain why yet passed it off as how you "translate" and how the Japanese language works.

He'd also edit words too, from like yellow to blue or eat to die...things like that.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Well he is a computer science teacher, I don't think he would really care about how many cores an i7 has. There are many lecturers at university that have doctorates in computer engineering and they struggle to use a smartphone, yet they could tell you how the phone works down to a microelectronic level. A lot of people working in computer science and engineering, couldn't care less about consumer electronics.

Well at school level most IT tutors are not trained IT practitioners moreso just understand the curriculum.

And beyond that most people only know software as there is more money in software than hardware.

I wouldn't have made this thread if my teacher did not use these as examples during lessons. 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro