Nvidia drivers removed some of my windows 7 visual styles, wtf?

VioDuskar

so, a week or two ago i updated Nvidia drivers as i normally do. However, this time i noticed after all the screen flashing was done that my 'aero' feature was broke. after checking, many of my visual styles are gone.

under system>advanced system setting>advanced tab> performance> visual effects tabs>

you'll see that this list is not as long as it should be, and transparency is no longer an option.

uyKLTg4.jpg

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

And this is why you shouldn't let your drivers auto update.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

And this is why you shouldn't let your drivers auto update.

very suggest, much helpful, such advise, wow

i don't let it auto update. i told it to update.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

did you choose what to install? I am curious as to what part of the driver did that. 

did you choose what to install? I am curious as to what part of the driver did that. 

express :|

it shouldnt have made a difference.

anyone have a way to reinstall these visual effects?

At this point I'd just do a clean install of Windows.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just another feature?

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

express :|

it shouldnt have made a difference.

anyone have a way to reinstall these visual effects?

Have you tried uninstalling/rolling back the drivers to see if the visual effects return?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

At this point I'd just do a clean install of Windows.

at this point alot of OS stuff has gone wrong, and im in dire need of a fresh install. im really trying to hold out until win10 gets here

so, a week or two ago i updated Nvidia drivers as i normally do. However, this time i noticed after all the screen flashing was done that my 'aero' feature was broke. after checking, many of my visual styles are gone.

under system>advanced system setting>advanced tab> performance> visual effects tabs>

you'll see that this list is not as long as it should be, and transparency is no longer an option.

uyKLTg4.jpg

Check which theme you have set; I had a driver update un-install the old driver, windows disabled the aero theme dropping me back to basic, and not re-apply my theme again after install.

If your in basic theme then transparency is disabled.

Check which theme you have set; I had a driver update un-install the old driver, windows disabled the aero theme dropping me back to basic, and not re-apply my theme again after install.

If your in basic theme then transparency is disabled.

:|

i can't go to an aero theme. it will not let me. the actual program features that allow aero are now gone...

:|

i can't go to an aero theme. it will not let me. the actual program features that allow aero are now gone...

On the system screen go to you performance rating and get it to re-check your rating. This should force it to re-calculate if your machine can handle aero and re-enable it.