What kind of modem and Ethernet cable would I need for a 50mbps Comcast Plan?

So I have Comcast's Xfinity here in Florida and I upgraded to Blast! a long time ago. I believe it is supposed to be 50mbps download, but on my wireless laptop I'm barely scratching .35mbps. Going to call Comcast later today, but I'm sick and tired of this constantly happening where I'm not getting what I paid for.

I know wireless isn't optimal but I had no way of running a cable from my modem all the way to my room, until now. All I really want to know is if the router Comcast gave us is good enough to cap out my service plan, or if I need a stronger modem to get the job done.

So I decided to do some research. I currently have this modem right here: I know it reads "4 Gigabit Ethernet Lan Ports", but not really sure what that means.

Looking at this modem right here in case that one isn't enough. Also if someone could tell me if I need a router for Wireless use as well, I'd appreciate it. The one I currently has a wireless access point built in. And if so, which do you recommend? Not really looking to spend more than $100 on a modem router combo. 343 Mbps download seems a little overkill since Comcast is the best ISP in my area and I don't think I'll be reaching those numbers anytime soon.

And I'm looking at this Ethernet Cable.

Is there a cheaper alternative to the modem, or is the one that I currently have good enough for 50mbps download?

I want best connection possible so I would prefer connecting directly into Modem

distance?

5e probably will be fine.

Powerline adapters can easily be used to add another router on the other-side of your house (or too plug directly into your laptop) as an extra access point if you can't run an Ethernet cable.

if your just doing intternet stuff a 200Mbps powerlinekit would do fine. If you do things on the lan like stream large videos or share files from a NAS a 500Mbps kit would be better.

200 kit example http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1435616108&sr=1-1&keywords=powerline+adapter&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A7899509011%7C7899508011

500 kit example http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435616071&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+adapter

there are better kits but for the price those are hard to beat.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Powerline adapters can easily be used to add another router on the other-side of your house (or too plug directly into your laptop) as an extra access point if you can't run an Ethernet cable.

if your just doing intternet stuff a 200Mbps powerlinekit would do fine. If you do things on the lan like stream large videos or share files from a NAS a 500Mbps kit would be better.

200 kit example http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1435616108&sr=1-1&keywords=powerline+adapter&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A7899509011%7C7899508011

500 kit example http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435616071&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+adapter

there are better kits but for the price those are hard to beat.

isn't this worse than connecting directly into your modem, or is it the same? I saw a linus video saying that this is about 10x faster than wireless, but still way worse than connecting modem to pc directly.

distance?

5e probably will be fine.

Probably around 50 feet if I run the cable through the wall? But I'm more concerned about the modem. Is it good enough to reach consistent 50mbps? Or do I need to upgrade?

Probably around 50 feet if I run the cable through the wall? But I'm more concerned about the modem. Is it good enough to reach consistent 50mbps? Or do I need to upgrade?

probably fine

you can always upgrade later if need be

but i doubt it.

isn't this worse than connecting directly into your modem, or is it the same? I saw a linus video saying that this is about 10x faster than wireless, but still way worse than connecting modem to pc directly.

It will be slower ... for things that go faster than the speed of the powerline. for everything else it will add about ~1ms of latency (less than wifi) and be faster than WiFi.

@nicehat has been using one for a while at my sugestion and he loves the thing. he uses it to play competitive games online while twitch streaming. He was able to get full use of the 50up/50down FIOS plan available too him in his old apartment.

Also 50mbps should be achievable on even an older quality Docsis 2.0 modem if the wiring too your home is good and your local node is not being overwhelmed.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

It will be slower ... for things that go faster than the speed of the powerline. for everything else it will add about ~1ms of latency (less than wifi) and be faster than WiFi.

@nicehat has been using one for a while at my sugestion and he loves the thing. he uses it to play competitive games online while twitch streaming. He was able to get full use of the 50up/50down FIOS plan available too him in his old apartment.

Also 50mbps should be achievable on even an older quality Docsis 2.0 modem if the wiring too your home is good and your local node is not being overwhelmed.

Cool, this was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton! Now I'll just wait till July 12th for the Amazon sale and order one. Again, thanks a bunch <3

Cool, this was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton! Now I'll just wait till July 12th for the Amazon sale and order one. Again, thanks a bunch <3

have you plugged into your current modem too see if it is actually getting the speeds your paying for? if your not a call to your ISP may be in order.

Either for a wiring check or too see if they can do a complementary upgrade on your modem. 

have you plugged into your current modem too see if it is actually getting the speeds your paying for? if your not a call to your ISP may be in order.

Either for a wiring check or too see if they can do a complementary upgrade on your modem. 

I literally forgot that I had a laptop, because it's sitting on a cooler, and I have a keyboard and mouse I'm using. My brain messed up and I guess I've seen my computer purely as a monitor all this time. Friend earlier today made me realize I could do just this and I plan on doing so in the morning. But if he didn't think of this, you would have been next in line. Thanks LOL