Laptop for College - Engineering

Antoine3152
Go to solution Solved by Assassin,

You won't be doing anything in university that justifies needing a powerful laptop.  My 2007 laptop with a mid range dual core would still be fine for college.

This literally this. I am doing computer engineering right now and both the electrical and computer engineers take the same courses for the first two years. The heaviest application I had to run was Xilinx for FPGA prototyping and Android Studio. A high powered laptop is worthless just for college. 

Hello internet!

In September I will be studying electrical engineering.

I need a good laptop, used for engineering, programming, excel and browsing. 

My budget is MAX 900 $ but lower = better. 

I've been looking at this one : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232393&cm_re=UX305-_-34-232-393-_-Product, and waiting for it to be on sale, but I wonder if the CPU might not be enough for engineering. 

If anyone who has or is studying in engineering know what I would need it would be really appreciated.  

Thanks a lot!

(Sorry for my English)

You won't be doing anything in university that justifies needing a powerful laptop.  My 2007 laptop with a mid range dual core would still be fine for college.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

This literally this. I am doing computer engineering right now and both the electrical and computer engineers take the same courses for the first two years. The heaviest application I had to run was Xilinx for FPGA prototyping and Android Studio. A high powered laptop is worthless just for college. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I'm currently studying an electrical and electronic based engineering course (Although it also has elements from computer science) and before uni I though I would need a laptop for everything everywhere, but providing your university has decent facilities that really isn't the case. 

At my university all the computers in the engineering buildings are high enough spec to do any task you need to do during your time at uni, and digital arts students even use them as rendering machines. 

So find out what kind of facilities your university has. 

Also for electrical engineering you really don't need that high spec of a laptop, some people don't even have laptops, and other than one person on my whole course no one brings them to lectures (Although maybe it's different in Canada)

The main thing I would focus on is size and weight, you'll want one you can take around to buildings (unless you plan to study in your residency all the time) and one that if you plan to take it to lectures it wont take up too much space. So the one you picked already is pretty good for that. 

Other than that just buy it as if you were buying yourself a new laptop, look at your use cases outside of your course and make sure they fit that. (Unless you have a desktop as well) 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I did engineering first year at University (switching to physics now),and the only thing that required a little/fair bit of processing power, was 3D modelling. The i3's were pretty slow on the library computers so I'd say get an i5 although I think the speed of the library computers was affected by the hard drive speeds from the servers. The programmes ran on the University servers themselves I think. I would say definitely get an SSD. Being able to quickly boot up during a lecture for example or quickly write something down is something I could see an SSD being very useful for. 

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

Overall what I would recommend is a 13" or thereabouts with at least 1600x900 screen.  Anything less is just terrible for working with excel or having PDF notes open on one side and OneNote open on the other.  Bring an external monitor or two with you that you can leave in your dorm / apartment.  I also recommend an external keyboard + mouse because working on a touchpad and laptop keyboard long term sucks.

Don't be that guy that brings a 17" jet engine laptop with you to lecture that takes up 2 desks.  If you want to game, build yourself a little microATX gaming system.  Gaming laptops are just a giant worthless compromise.

I don't know if anything has changed recently, but don't be lured by touch screens.  No one in my years was able to successfully use a stylus to take notes.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Thanks a lot, I'll consider a cheaper laptop only for excel.