Building a Value "Home-Use" PC

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on building a PC for someone and I'm wondering If you guys have any advice on changes I should make to it.

The PC is directed for light home-use and should last for at least 5 years. I'd like to keep the price at what it's at now (without going over) and in Canadian dollars.

Thanks for your help!

Build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/w8CsFT

Seems just fine.

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on building a PC for someone and I'm wondering If you guys have any advice on changes I should make to it.

The PC is directed for light home-use and should last for at least 5 years. I'd like to keep the price at what it's at now (without going over) and in Canadian dollars.

Thanks for your help!

looks good, but buy an i3 or an i5 to get better multi threaded performance, most home users have lots of stuff open, like word docs and alot of tabs on a browser, so you might be better off with the i3-4160 :)

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your help!

im not 100% shore but i think the Pentium does not have onboard video

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

Wouldn't you want an SSD though instead of HDD? Or are lots of things going to be stored?

looks good, but buy an i3 or an i5 to get better multi threaded performance, most home users have lots of stuff open, like word docs and alot of tabs on a browser, so you might be better off with the i3-4160 :)

An overclocked G3258 will be better then an i3 for "home" multitasking, as all those tasks are still heavily single-threaded. You want better multi-threaded performance for multitasking when you're doing stuff like rendering a 3D animation while streaming gameplay.

"Rawr XD"

im not 100% shore but i think the Pentium does not have onboard video

It does

It does

ok 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your help!

Unless you're going to be storing a lot of stuff, an SSD would be a much better investment and make the PC feel a lot snappier in daily use.

"Rawr XD"

Wouldn't you want an SSD though instead of HDD? Or are lots of things going to be stored?

I'm not quite sure, but I think that an SSD wouldn't be necessary at this point.

EDIT: I'll ask next time I see him, but I don't know at this point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($84.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($56.75 @ Vuugo)

Memory: Kingston Black Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Memory Express)

Memory: Kingston Black Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Memory Express)

Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Case: Apevia X-QPack2 Black/Camo MicroATX Desktop Case w/500W Power Supply ($3.00 @ Vuugo)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)

Total: $437.66

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-28 16:07 EDT-0400