i5 2500k

I'm going to building a gaming computer and i was gifted a used i5 2500k and wanted to know should I sell it or get a newer one. If I should stick with the 2500k I would over clock it. What motherboard should I get that would easily support overclocking? Everything I have found has pointed me to the "ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard" If anything could deliver the same performance but at a lower cost what would it be? If I got a GTX 970 would the 2500k bottleneck it? 

Thanks

I'm going to building a gaming computer and i was gifted a used i5 2500k and wanted to know should I sell it or get a newer one. If I should stick with the 2500k I would over clock it. What motherboard should I get that would easily support overclocking? Everything I have found has pointed me to the "ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard" If anything could deliver the same performance but at a lower cost what would it be? If I got a GTX 970 would the 2500k bottleneck it? 

Thanks

sell the 2500k...and get a newer one

if someone gave you a 2500k pc..id say use it

but if its just the cpu

sell it and get a newer one

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Thanks

I'm weird and I'd keep it, I like old hardware (i used q6600 till last week) but from a modern standpoint, get something better. It won't bottleneck but it's just wiser to get more. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Thanks

Well if you can afford it Id say sell and buy new. But if not it'll be more then fine with 970. I'm still using my 2500k. I feel no need to upgrade it at this point other then wanting the best.The asrock was pretty popular then and is a good board. Im using msi g45 and had mine at 5ghz since the day it launched. Recently tho I've had to drop to 4.6ghz. It was becoming unstable after all the years of abuse with speedstep disabled . lol

id say keep the 2500k as the outlay for a new cpu isnt worth the performance gains. you would be lucky to get 100 for it and you would be looking at x2 that to get a comparable replacement.

the 2500k is no slouch, it will give every bit the gaming performance of a newer ivy/haswell/broadwell in gaming. seriously... (i run a earlier 920 and my 3d marks and fps are pretty much on par with builds that contain much newer cpu's )

and will in no way bottleneck a single or sli gtx 970 config.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

If you have only the cpu , try to find a cheap Z77.

If you can't, sell it.

But in term of performance a stock 2500K is still enought to enjoy a nice gaming experience.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

The chip itself should be fine, you won't see much more crazy improvements with modern unlocked i5's, just modest increases in performance.

It would honestly all come down to whether you're able to get an appropriate motherboard in good condition without breaking the bank.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

Thanks

If you get a good motherboard and cpu cooler you could overclock the 2500k and be just fine.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

You know i'd rather keep the i5 :). Stick a good motherboard with it and a 970 or 290 or such and it'd be still an epic PC :D.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

If you can find a cheap z77 board in good condition then go for it. i know i would. the 2500k is almost legendary. it overclocks well and even at stock it isn't going to be a bottleneck to most if not all single gpu cards. you'd have to upgrade sooner than if you bought a 4690k, but it still has life left in it and will save you money.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

the good thing is, it's a SB processor, so compability is almost non-factor.

if you can't get z77, get z67/68

even some H75/61 also has overclock feature, I know mine does.