Upgraded PSU for Optiplex 9020

khalid ayman

Hello,

I have i7 optiplex 9020 mini tower and i want to upgrade the power supply to fit more powerful Gpu (graphic cards) for gaming 

Can anyone help me choosing the right power supply that fits with optiplex + have 6-pin and 8-pin connectors ???

Hello,

I have i7 optiplex 9020 mini tower and i want to upgrade the power supply to fit more powerful Gpu (graphic cards) for gaming 

Can anyone help me choosing the right power supply that fits with optiplex + have 6-pin and 8-pin connectors ???

What's the current wattage PSU?

(Jared_1) thanks for replay

I'm seeking for (R9 280) graphic card which need 1 x 6-pin + 1 x 8-pin 

The computer type I don't really known because im new at the field :(  ..... Sorry 

The computer type I don't really known because im new at the field :(  ..... Sorry 

That computer uses a proprietary power supply, so unless if you buy/make an adapter there won't be a way to upgrade it.

I've read your computer has a 290 watt PSU. The card you're looking at is ~250 watts full load.

Most likely a 550 watt PSU or just to be safe a 600 watt PSU.

I can't really recommend one. 600 watts would be the lowest you would want to go. If your current PSU is a 290 watt, and the card draws around 250 watts max, that's roughly 540 watts. So definately get a 600 watt or even a 650 watt PSU if you want to be sure and have a little bit of room to upgrade if you want later on.

Linus did a review of the 

and it's semi modular.  

I can't really recommend one. 600 watts would be the lowest you would want to go. If your current PSU is a 290 watt, and the card draws around 250 watts max, that's roughly 540 watts. So definately get a 600 watt or even a 650 watt PSU if you want to be sure and have a little bit of room to upgrade if you want later on.

Linus did a review of the Cooler Master V650 and it's semi modular.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmoMKMZYYg

Ok sounds good ... but i want to make sure 100% that this power supply will not blowup the motherboard and will work fine ... im little worried because its dell computer and motherboard dont have 24-pin .. only 8-pin for supplying motherboard

That computer uses a proprietary power supply, so unless if you buy/make an adapter there won't be a way to upgrade it.

Sorry but you mean that optiplex psu cant be upgraded ... through the computer from the window or what ??? :D :D 

Most likely a 550 watt PSU or just to be safe a 600 watt PSU.

Can i use CORSAIR CX500M 500w 80 PLUS Bronze Modular PSU as an upgrade ??

Please help ... I'm new and i don't known what to do ??

Sorry but you mean that optiplex psu cant be upgraded ... through the computer from the window or what ??? :D :D

It cant, Dell make it to where you cant use consumer grade power supplies in their business class computers, so unless if you mod one yourself you won't be able to upgrade. Standard power supplies use a 24 pin connector for the main board power, while your PC uses an 8 pin(that differs from the PCI 8 pin). I found a thread where someone lists the pinout, but they have the same problem too. 

It cant, Dell make it to where you cant use consumer grade power supplies in their business class computers, so unless if you mod one yourself you won't be able to upgrade. Standard power supplies use a 24 pin connector for the main board power, while your PC uses an 8 pin(that differs from the PCI 8 pin). I found a thread where someone lists the pinout, but they have the same problem too. 

The Dell I have is from 2007 when they used consumer replaceable PSUs so I didn't know about newer Dells. That's why I'm build my new PC. It may be easier to buy a PC but then I can't upgrade or control what parts are used.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

God bless modDIY:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

• 8 months later...

I just found a optiplex 9020 mini-tower i5 in the trash and, had to cut and solder the 8 pin connector onto my coolermaster silent pro 600watt supply, i can post some pictures if anyone is interested. it's a bit complicated, since the board needs 12 standby power to work(not normal on regular PSU).

8 hours ago, Coolfrost said:

I just found a optiplex 9020 mini-tower i5 in the trash and, had to cut and solder the 8 pin connector onto my coolermaster silent pro 600watt supply, i can post some pictures if anyone is interested. it's a bit complicated, since the board needs 12 standby power to work(not normal on regular PSU).

I actually would like to see what you did :)