Is overclocking worth it?

Im on a tight budget and i can either buy a K processor and z97 motherboard or put the money on the chassi and estetics and go for a regular mobo and i5 4460, what should I do?

regular board, i5, don't care about looks, get a good GPU.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

fk chassi and estetics when you are on a tight budget go ghetto style

I'd probably spare on the cpu/mobo going i5 4460 and h81 or something and get a better gpu.

what should I do with the extra money?

Im on a tight budget and i can either buy a K processor and z97 motherboard or put the money on the chassi and estetics and go for a regular mobo and i5 4460, what should I do?

With smart choices you may be able to do both.. whats the location, use and budget?

If not, you need to decide if you want the most performance or something that looks a bit better..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Performance > appearance. If the question is between those two, definitely go for the k series CPU, Z97 mobo, and aftermarket CPU cooler.

What is your budget? And don't go out of your way for appearance. Function over looks

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

what should I do with the extra money?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What is your budget? And don't go out of your way for appearance. Function over looks

my budget is exactly 1187 usd, i live in Sweden so i cant buy from amazon and newegg due to high cost shipping and long delivery

Who cares about looks over performance. 

Not me. Id rather have a complete pink rig than a matte black beast that performs like shiz.

Overclocking?

After hanging out in the troubleshooting forum.....Nope

Im on a tight budget and i can either buy a K processor and z97 motherboard or put the money on the chassi and estetics and go for a regular mobo and i5 4460?

Overclocking the processor is for enthusiasts that want to extract the last bit of juice out of the chip. It is not going to show any worthy change in your day to day tasks or even games. For eg a i5 4670k won't make any noticeable difference from i5 4460 in games. Most of the times its about bragging rights.

Also, overclocking is not only time consuming. It also need more money to be spend for a small bump in ego like the additional custom air or water coolers, better and higher wattage PSU, along with costlier motherboard and processor. Also overclocking definately reduces the life of the components drastically.

Nowadays People overclock mostly due to hobby rather than getting actual real world improvements.

So until or unless you have additional money to throw. I would say its not worth it.

Here's something that works in the US at significantly under your budget:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($97.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($242.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $947.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-27 14:42 EDT-0400

If the prices work out over there, then this is what I'd do. If you need more GPU horsepower, it's fully set up so that you can just slap in a second R9 290. The MoBo and PSU both support it. This hits pretty much everything you could ever want in a gaming computer.

Overclocking the processor is for enthusiasts that want to extract the last bit of juice out of the chip. It is not going to show any worthy change in your day to day tasks or even games. For eg a i5 4670k won't make any noticeable difference from i5 4460 in games. Most of the times its about bragging rights.

Also, overclocking is not only time consuming. It also need more money to be spend for a small bump in ego like the additional custom air or water coolers, better and higher wattage PSU, along with costlier motherboard and processor. Also overclocking definately reduces the life of the components drastically.

Nowadays People overclock mostly due to hobby rather than getting actual real world improvements.

So until or unless you have additional money to throw. I would say its not worth it.

This is downright false. Overclocking can make a huge difference. I'm only able to keep using my current computer because I overclocked it to meet my needs. It's an i7-920 running at 3.9 GHz (stock clock speed is 2.66 GHz). Without that overclock, I would have had to replace it a while ago costing me $$$ because it would not have been able to do what I need it to do. I literally went from a passmark single-threaded performance score of 1158 stock to 1702 when overclocked. The performance gain from overclocking is basically a strait clock speed comparison. A stock i5-4460 is 3.4 GHz. An overclocked i5-4690 can go up to 4.7 GHz fairly easily. That's a 38% improvement in performance. That's HUGE.

I'm in the same situation. I went ahead and bought an ASRock Z97 Ext4 because I got a good deal in the classifieds here. But I'm still going to go with the 4460 because it is the cheaper option yet it is still a very good CPU. I'll upgrade to a 4690K later down the road and use the 4460 in another build.

CPU: i5-4690K | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury

DDR3-1866 4x4GB | Boot: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB | Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB | GPU: Asus GTX 970 Strix 2xSLI | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Antec Nine Hundred

If you're going to overclock your CPU, I would recommend that you purchase an MSI board above all else as it has the best features in the UEFI/BIOS. It includes the ability to set adaptive/static mode for all your voltages. Stay away from Gigabyte.

Yes, overclocking is worth it IMO.

BigDay

If you're going to overclock your CPU, I would recommend that you purchase an MSI board above all else as it has the best features in the UEFI/BIOS. It includes the ability to set adaptive/static mode for all your voltages. Stay away from Gigabyte.

Yes, overclocking is worth it IMO.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

overclocking helps extend the useful life of a cpu for gaming. so it doesn't really come into play for a long long time. if you're on a budget i'd recommend an h97 motherboard and a i5 4460. get a decent budget case, screw aesthetics and take the money you save and use it to get a better graphics card. this will give the best performance for your money. games are limited by the graphics card not the cpu (provided the cpu is a good one and ANY haswell i5 is good enough to max any graphics card).

aesthetics can be dealt with after you get your system up and running. save up some money and get a better case if you feel the need to (if you get a decent entry level case you won't need to however) and worry about aesthetics afterwards, when you upgrade.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

I'm talking about the BIOS UEFI features only. In this department, MSI wins. Just ask ProKoN, one of the more recognized overclockers on this board. Yes, ASUS is fine as well, but MSI is the best.

BigDay

I'm talking about the BIOS UEFI features only. In this department, MSI wins. Just ask ProKoN, one of the more recognized overclockers on this board. Yes, ASUS is fine as well, but MSI is the best.

You either did not watch the video or you really have no clue.

You either did not watch the video or you really have no clue.

I just watched the video and it barely told me anything about the boards. Terrible. Come back when you have some experience with several different UEFI/BIOS packages.

BigDay

Terrible review video. You have no clue.

BigDay

I just watched the video and it barely told me anything about the boards. Terrible. Come back when you have some experience with several different UEFI/BIOS packages.

I had a computer repair business for the last ten years, whats your reference?

if you think a 20% oc is worth the extra 1-2 fps on a game thats already producing 60+ then go for it.

the reality is very few games benefit from overclocking the cpu.

so yeah get the none k part and get a better gpu.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

This is downright false. Overclocking can make a huge difference. I'm only able to keep using my current computer because I overclocked it to meet my needs. It's an i7-920 running at 3.9 GHz (stock clock speed is 2.66 GHz). Without that overclock, I would have had to replace it a while ago costing me $$$ because it would not have been able to do what I need it to do. I literally went from a passmark single-threaded performance score of 1158 stock to 1702 when overclocked. The performance gain from overclocking is basically a strait clock speed comparison. A stock i5-4460 is 3.4 GHz. An overclocked i5-4690 can go up to 4.7 GHz fairly easily. That's a 38% improvement in performance. That's HUGE.

He is not buying an ancient CPU like you have. CPU's have improved so much after sandy bridge that there improvements have mostly stagnated. There is no way that a haswell or devil canyon i5 which the OP intend to purchase would become bottlenecked in any scenario that you might throw at it. Infact any i5 from haswell would easily be able to max out the most powerfull GPU's of today even in SLI or crossfire configuration and this is something that is not going to change for atleast 4-5 years looking at the way AMD and nvidia are progressing. Chances are that before the i5 CPU would get bottlenecked the GPU would have reached it's limit much before that.

Also, CPU overclocking now--a-days only result in 2-3 extra FPS over and above 60FPS or more which is already quite good and doesn't make a difference. So, CPU overclocking now-a-days is not worth it in accordance to the conditions mentioned in my previous post.