EKWB Water block for Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming

On a side note, I emailed EKWB about water blocks for the G1 Gaming 980 Ti.

I was told that the card is not available in Europe yet and that they would only start making water blocks for that card when its released in Europe.

Here's the quote:

I received this exact reply yesterday also.

I responded by saying that the cards were readily available in Europe and that I had purchased two of them from a well known UK based E-Tailer.

No reply as yet but I will be returning my cards and getting two EVGA Superclocked GTX 980 Ti cards (ref cooler) instead as waterblocks are readily availble for these.

An absolute shame really.

EK took about 4 months to bring out a FC WaterBlock from the time the Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 came out last year and I cannot wait a similar length of time for their Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti waterblock to come on the market.

Sigh... I'm off to the post office to send my cards back in about an hour :-/

The 'Coming Soon' notice on the EK Cooling Configurator web site feels a little misleading...

I received this exact reply yesterday also.

I responded by saying that the cards were readily available in Europe and that I had purchased two of them from a well known UK based E-Tailer.

No reply as yet but I will be returning my cards and getting two EVGA Superclocked GTX 980 Ti cards (ref cooler) instead as waterblocks are readily availble for these.

An absolute shame really.

EK took about 4 months to bring out a FC WaterBlock from the time the Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 came out last year and I cannot wait a similar length of time for their Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti waterblock to come on the market.

The 'Coming Soon' notice on the EK Cooling Configurator web site feels a little misleading...

Damn, that sucks. Couldn't you have emailed them and waited for a reply before getting the cards?

I'm stuck with the reference card for now anyway, since the retailer I'm buying from ran out of stock with the G1 Gaming and is only getting stock late july or early august.

Anyway sounds like a sick build you're working on. Hope that goes well.

Why are you in such a hurry to finish the build? Is it not worth the wait to get the G1 water cooled?

Damn, that sucks. Couldn't you have emailed them and waited for a reply before getting the cards?

I'm stuck with the reference card for now anyway, since the retailer I'm buying from ran out of stock with the G1 Gaming and is only getting stock late july or early august.

Anyway sounds like a sick build you're working on. Hope that goes well.

My chosen E-Tailer in the UK allows you to return goods within 14 days if you are not satisfied or if they are unwanted. I have two days left to decide and I am intending to build my system at the end of July. Realistically EK doesn't appear to be ready to lauch their G1 GTX 980 Ti FC Waterblock any time soon so I have to make a difficult decision.

My new system will be fully water-cooled so I have no choice.

My Case-labs case arrived and when all is said and done it will be a monster ;-) I cannot delay it!

Why are you in such a hurry to finish the build? Is it not worth the wait to get the G1 water cooled?

Not a hurry as i have been putting this system together for the last 6 months (researching, ordering other components etc).

Like I said last year it took EK 4 months to bring out the Waterblock for the Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 card. Considering the confusing replies received from EK over email and the fact that the G1 GTX 980 Ti only came out a couple of weeks ago, its reasonable to think that the requierd waterblock could be months away. I do not want to look at a mountain of parts for months knowing I cant assemble the system coz there is no waterblock for the GPUs :-) Sorry that scenario makes no sense to me...

Glad I found this thread as I'm also trying to decide which 980ti to get for a watercooled build.  Thanks to all who gave input here.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

Not a hurry as i have been putting this system together for the last 6 months (researching, ordering other components etc).

Like I said last year it took EK 4 months to bring out the Waterblock for the Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 card. Considering the confusing replies received from EK over email and the fact that the G1 GTX 980 Ti only came out a couple of weeks ago, its reasonable to think that the requierd waterblock could be months away. I do not want to look at a mountain of parts for months knowing I cant assemble the system coz there is no waterblock for the GPUs :-) Sorry that scenario makes no sense to me...

Out of curiousity are you going for flexible or rigid tubing?

Out of curiousity are you going for flexible or rigid tubing?

Flexible 1/2 ID 3/4 OD clear tubing with Mayhems Aurora Extinciton Green coolant :-)

Case is a Caselabs Magnum M8 (all Black)

Hi guys,

Sorry for the confusion. As Luc has stated, we generally work on non-reference blocks in the order that they are received from our partners. Right now i can say that we will be making blocks for the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti, MSI Gaming 980 Ti, and Asus Strix 980 Ti. Other non-reference cards, such as the 980 Ti Classy and 980 Ti KPE are still TBD and I cannot promise there will be a block. I can tell you that I will certainly be pushing for them though as I know you guys want them. 

I realize 2 months sounds like a lot of time but considering our relatively small R&D team, how many other projects we have going on that aren't GPU blocks, and the general lead time it takes to design, manufacturer, test, validate, and then mass produce is quite substantial. If our supplies and local partners were based elsewhere such as China, then this process would take 6+ months. So luckily we do everything locally to bring new products to you guys right away :)

On that note, Fury X blocks should be available for sale next week assuming that we're not hit with any unforeseen issues. We will also be launching 140mm Vardars, all black and all white 120mm Vardars, 140mm, 280mm, 420mm, 560mm radiators, and thin (26mm tall) 120, 240, 360, and 480mm radiators in the month of July! So please bear with us :) busy times ahead...

Do the 980, 980Ti Waterblocks fit the EVGA GTX TITAN X.

Thanks a lot for your input man, appreciate it. I've seen Jayztwocents' EVGA Hybrid review already but I'll check it out again and some others too.

Btw, the G1 Gaming review from LTT is already on Youtube and the benchmarks show it beats the reference by about 10 fps on most games. I would assume their reference 980 Ti was overclocked though I couldn't find it on the overclocking doc.

But if I'm doing a custom loop, should I expect about the same performance from both versions of the card, since the cooler is the more important factor like you said?

EDIT: Just watched Linus' review of the reference 980 TI, he said "no cards were overclocked", so I guess the reference 980 Ti in their G1 gaming review was not overclocked.

I think the difference in the board layout is negligible once it's watercooled. Only netting you about 2-5 extra fps in games on max settings. I think what really makes the difference is the cooler on the card. The blower style cooler on the reference design doesn't leave a lot of head room for overclocking. So as we saw when the hybrid cooler was put up against the g1 gaming they scored very similar results each edging one or the other out back and forth.

So a reference card with a waterblock, in theory, could easily trade blows with the G1 Gaming. That being said, if EK says they're gonna make a waterblock for the G1 Gaming 980 Ti I would definitely wait. If you're like me and just wanna have the bragging rights of the FASTEST 980 Ti on the market today.

Your attitude determines 100% of your life's outcomes. Bad Attitude, bad life. Great attitude, great life.

Do the 980, 980Ti Waterblocks fit the EVGA GTX TITAN X.

What I know from EK WB. Titan X WB works on REFERENCE GTX 980 Ti.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

When they say reference What you mean by reference?

Everything, that does not have custom PCB, so EVGA SC with ACX 2.0, then every single card from MSI, Asus etc., which has reference nvidia cooler (the gray one with blower type of a fan)

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Reference board/cooler designs refer specifically to the design that NVidia/AMD/whomever distributes to board partners for resale. Sometime NVidia/AMD/whomever again will allow the board partners to design their own versions of a graphics card based off the reference design.

I think Linus may have covered this in a TechQuickie, but I know for sure he did in an NCIX episode.

Your attitude determines 100% of your life's outcomes. Bad Attitude, bad life. Great attitude, great life.

Everything, that does not have custom PCB, so EVGA SC with ACX 2.0, then every single card from MSI, Asus etc., which has reference nvidia cooler (the gray one with blower type of a fan)

Not necessarily. Some cards with custom coolers use a reference board design and just slap a cooler on it. Evga is known for doing this on their non-superclocked cards.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the confusion. As Luc has stated, we generally work on non-reference blocks in the order that they are received from our partners. Right now i can say that we will be making blocks for the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti, MSI Gaming 980 Ti, and Asus Strix 980 Ti. Other non-reference cards, such as the 980 Ti Classy and 980 Ti KPE are still TBD and I cannot promise there will be a block. I can tell you that I will certainly be pushing for them though as I know you guys want them. 

I realize 2 months sounds like a lot of time but considering our relatively small R&D team, how many other projects we have going on that aren't GPU blocks, and the general lead time it takes to design, manufacturer, test, validate, and then mass produce is quite substantial. If our supplies and local partners were based elsewhere such as China, then this process would take 6+ months. So luckily we do everything locally to bring new products to you guys right away :)

On that note, Fury X blocks should be available for sale next week assuming that we're not hit with any unforeseen issues. We will also be launching 140mm Vardars, all black and all white 120mm Vardars, 140mm, 280mm, 420mm, 560mm radiators, and thin (26mm tall) 120, 240, 360, and 480mm radiators in the month of July! So please bear with us :) busy times ahead...

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Will they be available for pre-order?

Hi, I wonder if you can confirm when the MSI 980Ti Gaming waterblock will be available roughly. I can wait 2 months or so to do my watercooling but I dont really want to be waiting 4-5months etc or i might just have to get the reference styled ones. I already have 2 Gaming edition 980Ti cards but am just waiting for a waterblock for them and need confirmation, so i can wait or send them back for reference cards instead.

Thanks.

Hi, I wonder if you can confirm when the MSI 980Ti Gaming waterblock will be available roughly. I can wait 2 months or so to do my watercooling but I dont really want to be waiting 4-5months etc or i might just have to get the reference styled ones. I already have 2 Gaming edition 980Ti cards but am just waiting for a waterblock for them and need confirmation, so i can wait or send them back for reference cards instead.

Thanks.

It should be ready in your 1-2 months timeframe

In fact, the Classified and the Kingpin were the last ones to be released by EK for the 980 non-Ti.

The reason for this is simple.  The quicker the manufacturer are at sending us cards or CADs designs, the quicker we are able to release them.  Guess who came last on the 980 non-Ti.  ;)

Usually Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are pretty quick to send us there infos for there flagship non-reference cards.

So can anyone confirm the Gigabyte 980 TI G1 will be getting a waterblock from EK. I dont mind waiting a few months but so far eveyrone has been sayng you can only most likely cool reference disigns with waterblocks. I would rather choose the G1 then an EVGA card since it can get potentially higher overcloks. Any idea if these will be fullcover lol I like those.

So can anyone confirm the Gigabyte 980 TI G1 will be getting a waterblock from EK. I dont mind waiting a few months but so far eveyrone has been sayng you can only most likely cool reference disigns with waterblocks. I would rather choose the G1 then an EVGA card since it can get potentially higher overcloks. Any idea if these will be fullcover lol I like those.

Bases on the website, so will it come.

@EK Luc

Yes we will have one.  No ETA yet

EK Luc, your Titan X copper/plexi block is working VERY WELL on my EVGA GTX980 TI Superclocked card.

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT

Yes we will have one.  No ETA yet

Just to ask, any idea what type of block design we will see?

Or more to the point, will it be a full cover block like this :

(yes I know the smaller once are technicly full cover, but they dont look as clean)

FC970-GTX-ACX_NP_fit_590webshop.jpg

EK Luc, your Titan X copper/plexi block is working VERY WELL on my EVGA GTX980 TI Superclocked card.

Awesome!  :)

Just to ask, any idea what type of block design we will see?

Or more to the point, will it be a full cover block like this :

(yes I know the smaller once are technicly full cover, but they dont look as clean)

FC970-GTX-ACX_NP_fit_590webshop.jpg

Good question, I didn't see the prototype of the block so I can't tell you.  

But if there isn't anything to cool at the far right edge of the card, don't expect the plexi block to extend fully on it.