sennheiser vs audio technica

Padorkous

Hi! What should i get for gaming the sennheiser hd650 or the audio technica ath ad900x? I am thinking about these two because i want better audio quality than an expensive "gaming" headset.

(if you have any other recomendation at highest 450usd please)

Thanks for your time!   :)

i have ath-m50x and i can recommend it, awesome sound

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

The ad900x has the typical issue of being too light pressured that it will jsut slip off your head. Hate it or love it :)
I would recommend some beyerdynamic dt770 80ohm or pro for an all rounder use. 
Alessandro ms2i or Grado sr125i for crazy2 clarity, hd650 for sleeping and relaxing, 

Personally if i had 450, i would get a beyerdynamic 770 or 990(if you like more bass) and add a modmic and upgrade my sound card. The step up in sound quality from a 200usd range headphone to a 400usd range isnt much at all. The hd650 with modded cables (i prefer the old Symphonica* cables) would really good. but agian, its too expansive and not really woth the money if you are just getting started.

Just for information. i think the best sounding headphone at that price range is the Hifiman HE400. ,maybe bit overbudget since import costs will hurt.

For those m50 lovers out there, give this a try:
http://aiaiai.dk/headphones/tma-2/s02h02e05c05

Ha ha ha! I reccommend the ATH-M50x because it is obviously comparable to the HD650 and AD900X! It's the only headphone I've ever tried!

Ha ha ha! I reccommend the ATH-M50x because it is obviously comparable to the HD650 and AD900X! It's the only headphone I've ever tried!

Genius, why didn't anyone else think of that? 

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Genius, why didn't anyone else think of that? 

I guess I'm the only audiophile around here!

Philips Fidelio X2 will be a good choice too. I always feel the HD650 sounds too dark.

Fidelio X2

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Since your top end of the budget is $450.00, you can do much better then M50x, I have one that's why I am recommending something else.

I would suggest between Fidelio X2, Beyerdynamic DT 990 or AKG K712 Pro + mod mic (if you want too)

Also I am guessing you are new in Audiophile arena (apologize if I am wrong). I wouldn't recommend splashing that much for your first audiophile grade gear. If you change your mind on the budget get a Sennheiser HD 598 or ATH M50X (some audio gurus might say its quite over hyped, none the less good reference headphones -  if not M50x then go for AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition). Learn about your taste, what you really like... use it for a year or two then go for some more advanced gear.

I agree that $450 is probably too much to spend if this is the first time you've spent a substantial amount of money on headphones. However, you could do worse than the HE-400i.

Since your top end of the budget is $450.00, you can do much better then M50x, I have one that's why I am recommending something else.

I would suggest between Fidelio X2, Beyerdynamic DT 990 or AKG K712 Pro + mod mic (if you want too)

Also I am guessing you are new in Audiophile arena (apologize if I am wrong). I wouldn't recommend splashing that much for your first audiophile grade gear. If you change your mind on the budget get a Sennheiser HD 598 or ATH M50X (some audio gurus might say its quite over hyped, none the less good reference headphones -  if not M50x then go for AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition). Learn about your taste, what you really like... use it for a year or two then go for some more advanced gear.

I agree that $450 is probably too much to spend if this is the first time you've spent a substantial amount of money on headphones. However, you could do worse than the HE-400i.

^^^These two^^^ (Just not the M50X, there have been a few reports that it's terrible for gaming, @Fluffinator)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

^^^These two^^^ (Just not the M50X, there have been a few reports that it's terrible for gaming, @Fluffinator)

Yup. Would never use for gaming, has all the features you don't want when your gaming. 

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Yup. Would never use for gaming, has all the features you don't want when your gaming. 

I've gamed with closed back before, and been aright :P I use closed back now, by the way, but that's really a completely different story since they aren't sealed headphones. (Denon AH-D7000) Also, they're in a bit of a different league as far as pricing, and in my opinion performance, but that's personal...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I've gamed with closed back before, and been aright :P I use closed back now, by the way, but that's really a completely different story since they aren't sealed headphones. (Denon AH-D7000) Also, they're in a bit of a different league as far as pricing, and in my opinion performance, but that's personal...

Certain closed back work, depends on the headphones really.

As mentioned above I think you're first good headphone should be cheaper and I recommand the dt990+mod mic.

If you can't use open back headphones than the dt770 is a great option.

If you really wanna spend this much money I recommand you adding extra 50$ and get a mrspeakers alpha dog