Monitor Painting Guide

Render Bug at 7:53 and 8:18?

Anyone else see it?

its in most f there vids. it dont matter anymore

Linus I am wondering why y'all give the manufacturers so much crap about glossy plastic and how it should all be matte. Yet you paint a monitor glossy and then buff it to a mirror shine? It looks great to me, just seems hypocritical.

On a side note. The reason you wash the surface before you scuff it up is because if you scuff it before you clean it, any contaminates on the surface can get embedded into the scratches you are creating. I have seen a buddy do this to the tailgate of his truck because he wouldn't listen to me. The oil from his hands around the handle started to seep out and bubbled up the paint in under 3 months.

Start watching video; Dafuq? Linus' going to do a job PROPERLY, No Way!!

Most of the way into the video; Oh, so, he only kinda does a job properly. PHEW!

hehhee.

Handy video, thnx guys.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

I wished that LG logo wasn't painted over.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Was the video supposed to be sponsored by Automotive touch up at all because.... product placement everywhere!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

What's up with the sudden "like-bait"? It makes videos seem more amazing than what they really are, which could very well increase view count, which I imagine is the goal.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Did Automotive Touchup sponsor this video or provide the materials? Just wondering for ethical clarity purposes. Loved the video otherwise, nice to see a job done in a more professional way.

Looks aweseome, but I can't believe you didn't go for LTT orange!

Current rig: i5 4670K | GTX 670 | Asus Z87I-Pro | Silverstone Strider Plus 600W | Custom mITX case | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Samsung 840 120GB | G430 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro - MX Red | LG 21.5"

ninjad

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Crap I didn't read through this and you just beat me to it!

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I'd offer this as a service, given enough practice.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Wohoo, that's a badass finishing there. You've just gotta love that "Lambo" Red color.

• CASE: » CoolerMaster C700M » •  MB:     » ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME »»» LGA 2066 •  CPU:    » Intel i9-9980XE Extreme Edition - 18-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » Inno3D GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB  GDDR6X •  RAM» Corsair Dominator Platinum - 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » DeepCool Matrexx 4F » •  MB:     » MSi GodLike Gaming X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6950x Extreme Edition - 10-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » MSi GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING  - 8GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

When Linus yelled "JUST WAIT" lol so hard at that Shia LaBeouf reference.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Hey Linus, awesome video... I have been painting some peripherals from my last system to match the new setup. Your method seems much much better... so actually learn a few things. Too bad I went through the entire video wishing you mention a price or at lease a price range. I know it can be looked up but it would make the watching experience a lot better. Anyway, love your videos, cheers to the whole team. Keep them coming... cheers...

Ohh fancy, too bad I don't have much need to paint my monitors. (Though turning the glossy bezel into a matte bezel would be a nice idea.)

Luck did a video for that...

Luck did a video for that...

I know.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Terve!
Interesting video, as always.

But, there are two questions from me:

Is the licence plate at about 5:20 not masked by accident or on purpuose?

And why are there two red lines in the video (after 7:54)?

Sayonara!

Hello,

I must say i really enjoyed this video. I'm very familiar with dust and painting struggles and Linus provided excellent tips about this topic. Knowledge was shared that only hands-on time can teach you. Witty jokes and skits implementation was on point and amusing. I loved the honest approach and the whole video in general worked for me. For all the shit i gave Linus for 2x Xeons ghetto video, this was a welcome change.

Great job guys, keep up the excellent work !

• 1 year later...

I had an old PC and Monitor that was about to throuwn out. I watched this video, and how I will be painting my old samsung monitor. It will be a blue camouflage. Let's see how that ends up. Thanks for the video man!