Looking for new sound card & (possibly) active speakers

CAC1291

For a few years, I was using my Xonar DX to power my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers/subwoofer, and my ATH-M50s. Perfectly happy with the sound quality. Six months ago, the ends of the Promedia's cables broke off into the subwoofer. I meant to fix it up, but the research proved it would be somewhat difficult, and cost about $75. I was also finishing my last semester of grad school -- not the time to screw around with computer parts. I bought $40 Cyber Acoustic Subwoofer Satellite system to tide me over. This past week, the Xonar DX started to die. It was much quieter one morning, then died altogether a few days later. Now, my Cyber Acoustic speakers are buzzing (although I can't tell if this is just the onboard audio being noisy.) 

I'm looking for a good soundcard to power my ATH-M50s, and new speakers. I could just buy the Xonar DX and Promedias again, but I thought I'd ask around first. 

What are your suggestions? 

I'm also not sure if I would notice/benefit from buying passive speakers instead, with a DAC and amp. The last time I looked into it a few years ago it seemed kind of complicated to set up. 

My price range, for all the equipment total, is $350-$400. I'd like to spend no more than $200 on the speakers if possible tho. I'll use the setup for a mix of gaming, high-quality movie watching, and a mix of Spotify/high quality local music files. 

Thanks in advance 

- snip -

Active speakers don't like to play well with headphones. My suggestion is to look into the Audioengine offerings for speakers and amplifiers, and use your on board sound. The Audioengine speakers are going to run circles around the ProMedia satellites. Of course, they will not provide the low rumble of a subwoofer.

Option 1

Active speakers only: $400 http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A5-plus-B-Powered-Speakers

Total: $400 but you would need to use your case's front panel to work your headphones

Option 2

Passive speakers: $250 http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Passive-Speaker-Systems/P4B-Passive-Bookshelf-Speakers

Amp with headphone jack: $200 http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Amplifier/N22-Desktop-Audio-Amplifier

Total: $450 for a high quality amp that powers the speakers and headphones

With option 2, you might still be able to use the subwoofer that came with your ProMedia if it's still working

Active speakers don't like to play well with headphones. My suggestion is to look into the Audioengine offerings for speakers and amplifiers, and use your on board sound. The Audioengine speakers are going to run circles around the ProMedia satellites. Of course, they will not provide the low rumble of a subwoofer.

Option 1

Active speakers only: $400 http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A5-plus-B-Powered-Speakers

Total: $400 but you would need to use your case's front panel to work your headphones

Option 2

Passive speakers: $250 http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Passive-Speaker-Systems/P4B-Passive-Bookshelf-Speakers

Amp with headphone jack: $200 http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Amplifier/N22-Desktop-Audio-Amplifier

Total: $450 for a high quality amp that powers the speakers and headphones

With option 2, you might still be able to use the subwoofer that came with your ProMedia if it's still working

Sorry. I should have mentioned, the speakers should come with a subwoofer, or there should be enough room left in the budget for a decent subwoofer as well. The Promedia's sub doesn't work -- the clips on the back have broken, and it's difficult to make connections, even with new wires. 

Both the promedias and the cyber acoustic speakers came with ways to plug in headphones. Is that a rarity when it comes to active speakers? Both also came with a way to plug in auxiliary ports, which let me plug my PS4 in as well. 

Update: found these, don't know if they're any good. They're a bit cheaper than the Audioengines that would require an amp, and would leave to buy a subwoofer or soundcard. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5CKH6O?tag=digitren08-20#Ask 

Why do you need a subwoofer or a sound card? That's like saying you need an engine or tires.

I'm a little suspicious of any speaker that has "audiophile" in its title. I don't actually know anything about Definitive Technology, but the reviewers seem to like it except for some unexplained high pitch noise when connected using USB. Likely because of a cheap DAC in the speakers, but this is just my opinion.

Spend some time researching these things before you buy. They are actually active speakers with a built in amplifier, very similar to the Audioengine's I recommended. I was able to find a picture of the rear IO to confirm. It has a DC input and a subwoofer out. I checked the manufacturer's website and they do not provide a single audiophile grade specification. I couldn't even find the frequency response for the drivers, which is not usually a good sign.

These speakers are an expensive waste of money. Give me a second and I will give you another recommendation... I just remembered a speaker set I used to own that might be perfect for you.

post-192300-0-45205300-1434811844_thumb.

@CAC1291

Here is my new recommendation: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Soundsticks-III-Multimedia/dp/B0042F3K9W

It's an active speaker set with subwoofer. I used to own this thing, and do not be fooled by appearance. It's very close to the ProMedia 2.1 except it's fricking gorgeous. It's a complete package. Plus it leaves you plenty of money to purchase a new sound card if you really want to.

Again, do not be mislead by the price or the design. These will blow away those Definitive Technology Inclines.

@CAC1291

Here is my new recommendation: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Soundsticks-III-Multimedia/dp/B0042F3K9W

It's an active speaker set with subwoofer. I used to own this thing, and do not be fooled by appearance. It's very close to the ProMedia 2.1 except it's fricking gorgeous. It's a complete package. Plus it leaves you plenty of money to purchase a new sound card if you really want to.

Again, do not be mislead by the price or the design. These will blow away those Definitive Technology Inclines.

Thanks for the other suggestion! That looks pretty good. 

And I'm a bit confused about the sound card. Shouldn't I be buying one if I'm going to get the most out of higher quality speakers and headphones? 

Thanks for the other suggestion! That looks pretty good. 

And I'm a bit confused about the sound card. Shouldn't I be buying one if I'm going to get the most out of higher quality speakers and headphones? 

Times have changed. I looked at your motherboard, and ASUS claims the on board audio is made with Japanese capacitors. You can't get much better these days. A dedicated sound card will be an incremental improvement, but they are really a dying bread. Higher quality speakers are a better way to spend your money.

Now if you have a cheapo pathetic HP computer, I would be giving you different advice. But you have an ASUS motherboard.

Times have changed. I looked at your motherboard, and ASUS claims the on board audio is made with Japanese capacitors. You can't get much better these days. A dedicated sound card will be an incremental improvement, but they are really a dying bread. Higher quality speakers are a better way to spend your money.

Now if you have a cheapo pathetic HP computer, I would be giving you different advice. But you have an ASUS motherboard.

I did not know any of that. I'll probably go for audioengines, but am going to read more about amps/dacs and those harmon kardons first. Thanks for the help. 

IMHO: Speakers are an important and costly investment. It would be ideal for you to LISTEN to a piece of music you're familiar with through speakers that fit your budget, whether that's at Best Buy, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc.. I'm not advocating buying from those places, you can usually always find things cheaper online, but listening is crucial.

Buying speakers you've never heard before is such a gamble, even if others say they are 'good' (when it comes to sound 'good' is subjective)

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

IMHO: Speakers are an important and costly investment. It would be ideal for you to LISTEN to a piece of music you're familiar with through speakers that fit your budget, whether that's at Best Buy, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc.. I'm not advocating buying from those places, you can usually always find things cheaper online, but listening is crucial.

Buying speakers you've never heard before is such a gamble, even if others say they are 'good' (when it comes to sound 'good' is subjective)

Yeah, I'm going to try and listen to all the speakers JohnT suggested at my local BestBuy, plus the AudioEngine A2+ and the Simple Audio Listens (they're $250 on amazon  Newegg and Linus liked them, so worth a shot). 

@CAC1291

uhg makes me so mad.

My school has like 30 of these in different rooms.

And like 10 of them are mistreated and broken.

I just want to take one...

Come on school, do you need Harmon Kardon soundsticks in all the lesson rooms, and Bose 5.1 systems in all the music rooms????

They dont even use them properly, makes me mad.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

uhg makes me so mad.

My school has like 30 of these in different rooms.

And like 10 of them are mistreated and broken.

I just want to take one...

Come on school, do you need Harmon Kardon soundsticks in all the lesson rooms, and Bose 5.1 systems in all the music rooms????

They dont even use them properly, makes me mad.

Holy shit man. My school didn't have anything like these. Why do they even have 5.1 in music rooms? That really doesn't make any sense lol

The Soundsticks are pretty nice speakers, but not really in a school environment. I'm not sure if they would get loud enough for 30 or more kids.

What does your school use the Soundsticks for? Online lectures?

Holy shit man. My school didn't have anything like these. Why do they even have 5.1 in music rooms? That really doesn't make any sense lol

The Soundsticks are pretty nice speakers, but not really in a school environment. I'm not sure if they would get loud enough for 30 or more kids.

What does your school use the Soundsticks for? Online lectures?

Idk...

I mean, better than the projectors speakers for listening to music

They don't use the sound sticks.

They literally sit there and are never used

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well, neither Best Buy nor the closest Guitar Center has any of the speakers I've wanted to try out, so I'm just going to read/watch/listen to a bunch of reviews and pick something. I like the idea of the Harmon Kardons, but I'm actually not a big fan of that design. I think the AudioEngine A2+'s are the perfect size for my desk setup, but I'm worried they're a step down from my Promedias. The A5+ are massive, and the most expensive, but I might just go for them anyway. 

Going to read about some JBL and M-Audio options similar to the A2+ as well.