Is Pre-ordering games really the biggest harm we can do to the Industry?

kenjigreat

I see this come up a lot of I find it quite fascinating. 

Everytime an unoptimized game (Assassin's Creed : Unity) is brought up , or a game that was released as a buggy mess (Halo : Master Chief Collection). There will always be a group of people saying , if you stopped preordering games none of this would have happened.

Whether this opinion is right or wrong , I know many people who support this opinion would say there is absolutely no reason to preorder games , since well you can get the game digitally and never have to worry about stock.

That is true , I mean digital distribution at least on the PC gaming side of things is so ubiquitous that preordering is not necessary , although sometimes preordering can be good.(I don't mean this in a good way) 

I'm the type of guy that loves to play a game Day one, I hate spoilers so experiencing the game without the collective internet possibly spoiling anything for me is essential.

If a game has a developer I trust (Naughty Dog) , this list is dying out so I might never preorder games later in my life. But as someone that games on both Console and PC , I like shiny things , the benefit of consoles is that you often get collector's edition. If you didn't preorder the Witcher 3 's Collector's Edition chances are you won't get a chance to get it , even worse Metal Gear Solid V on PC doesn't even have a Collector's Edition.

The real caveat though is the developer's ability to change the price. One good instance is what we can see from the steam sale, Rockstar Essentially made Grand Theft Auto V cost the same even during the sale.

Some Developers also jack up the price of the game after launch - this happened to Dead or Alive 5 on PC. Immediately after the game launched , the price increased by 5$.

Right now the price of Batman: Arkham Knight is 81$ for me including the season pass. Which is roughly about $60 USD. It will increase to $70 USD on after it Launches.

Paying extra just because I didn't preorder feels like I am giving the company more money for the game I would have picked up on Day 1 anyways.

I feel suckered in but I really have no choice sometimes.What are your thoughts on Preordering ? 

Sorry for Wall of Text , TL:DR , I feel that sometimes its dumber not to preorder(Not in a good way), What are your thoughts on Preordering.

No. Early access is the biggest harm. Pre-ordering is the second biggest.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No. Early access is the biggest harm. Pre-ordering is the second biggest.

I know my post is extremely long but over the course of lets say the 10 games I buy per year I save about 70-80$ sometimes by preordering.

I know my post is extremely long but over the course of lets say the 10 games I buy per year I save about 70-80$ sometimes by preordering.

Or you could wait one week and get all your games at half the price and save 200$.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Or you could wait one week and get all your games at half the price and save 200$.

You mean I can save money on Collector's Edition by waiting a week.

LOL , http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XWitcher+3+collector%27s+edition.TRS0&_nkw=Witcher+3+collector%27s+edition&_sacat=0

This is Ebay , It cost 50$USD more to get the CE of Witcher 3 and no my country doesn't import it so I had to Preorder one from gamestop.

Did I also not mention Publishers doing shady shit like Rockstar making Grand Theft Auto V costing essentially the same during the 'sale'.

Pre-ordering does almost nothing.

If you have a problem paying full retail price, then pre-order or wait until the price drops.

You mean I can save money on Collector's Edition by waiting a week.

LOL , http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XWitcher+3+collector%27s+edition.TRS0&_nkw=Witcher+3+collector%27s+edition&_sacat=0

This is Ebay , It cost 50$USD more to get the CE of Witcher 3 and no my country doesn't import it so I had to Preorder one from gamestop.

Did I also not mention Publishers doing shady shit like Rockstar making Grand Theft Auto V costing essentially the same during the 'sale'.

collectors edition is just a big waste anyway so if you are buying that you shouldn't be concerned about saving money.

Spoiler

SNIP

You are missing the biggest problem with pre-orders, and that is the world of pre-order bonuses, for example Mortal Combat X, one of the characters was only available if you pre-ordered the game.. that is genuinly a part of the game you are restricting regular customers from acessing

the maximum I think is fair for a bonus is a plastic figurine, or a downloadable skin to show off, but locking off actual content is becoming increasingly common, and it HAS To stop

Also pre-ordering to get DLC etc, and day one DLC is bullshit too

Basically, pre-ordering offers no specific benefit, if it was just for discount, fair enough, I can understand that, but for other parts of pre-ordering I do not agree with rewarding people for ordering your game early

If you want to release a collectors edition with a plastic figure, speical art book etc - fair enough you are selling extra products to the customers, but the game content should be the same for both people

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You are missing the biggest problem with pre-orders, and that is the world of pre-order bonuses, for example Mortal Combat X, one of the characters was only available if you pre-ordered the game.. that is genuinly a part of the game you are restricting regular customers from acessing

the maximum I think is fair for a bonus is a plastic figurine, or a downloadable skin to show off, but locking off actual content is becoming increasingly common, and it HAS To stop

Also pre-ordering to get DLC etc, and day one DLC is bullshit too

Basically, pre-ordering offers no specific benefit, if it was just for discount, fair enough, I can understand that, but for other parts of pre-ordering I do not agree with rewarding people for ordering your game early

If you want to release a collectors edition with a plastic figure, speical art book etc - fair enough you are selling extra products to the customers, but the game content should be the same for both people

I agree with the whole Pre-order DLC  bullshit , it really rubs me the wrong way.

I'm just curious at the notion of how many people recently seem to associate the problems of modern gaming with pre-ordering.

Not only that, I remember a shop would sell you GTA altho it is banned here, for more money before the initial release date, yes you won't be able to join online. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

The harm is already done.
Forget about the industry and buy and play the games you like and love.
Forget about what every tom dick and harry says about all this nonsense.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

The one reason I hated gamestop when I was a console pleb. All the employees did was ask me if I wanted to pre order this or get dlc for that.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.