i7-4790K APU

Tylosion
Go to solution Solved by Speedbird,

Dear techers,

I'm in need of your knowledge! :P I've lend out my graphics card (295X2) to a company (Tweakers) that's going to benchmarks it against the new r9 300 series from AMD. They come to pick it up tomorrow (which is Thursday in Europe) and give me a temporary replacement on FRIDAY. Which it means I don't have a worthy graphics card for a little while. So my idea was to use the APU of my 4790K. But how do I use it? Does it simply use the APU when I plug the monitor into the motherboard and boot it up after I took out the 295X2?

Thanks!

Check that you haven't disabled it in the BIOS, then just plug your monitor into the motherboard. Install drivers and you're good to go.

Dear techers,

I'm in need of your knowledge! :P I've lend out my graphics card (295X2) to a company (Tweakers) that's going to benchmarks it against the new r9 300 series from AMD. They come to pick it up tomorrow (which is Thursday in Europe) and give me a temporary replacement on FRIDAY. Which it means I don't have a worthy graphics card for a little while. So my idea was to use the APU of my 4790K. But how do I use it? Does it simply use the APU when I plug the monitor into the motherboard and boot it up after I took out the 295X2?

Thanks!

Provided you never disabled the onboard video in your BIOS, yeah. Basically just plug in your monitor to the motherboard's video output, and I think it should work immediately. You might want to get the Intel graphics driver, but I think that usually comes through Windows Update so you may have it already.

Going from an R9 295X2 to Intel HD 4600 is going to be a bit jarring, to say the least. :P

Yep, basically how you do it exactly.

You may have to clear CMOS incase your onboard GPU was disabled, but just plug in a cable to the mobo's outputs and voila.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

disable PCI graphics and put Onboard as the graphics and allocate as much memory you can

Dear techers,

Thanks!

Check that you haven't disabled it in the BIOS, then just plug your monitor into the motherboard. Install drivers and you're good to go.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

It's called iGPU for the Intel onboard graphics. Like on the 4790k. APU is for AMD CPUs with onboard graphics like their A-line of chips.

I think "APU" is a term AMD created for their own products, but I can see why it seems like it applies when all of Intel's products have integrated video as well. Usually the term refers to the entire chip, though, not just the integrated video portion.

I'd steer away from using it, though, as it's a really vague, inconsistent and possibly confusing term. "Accelerated Processing Unit" doesn't actually even say anything specifically about the integrated video, which is supposed to be the defining characteristic.

It's called iGPU for the Intel onboard graphics. Like on the 4790k. APU is for AMD CPUs with onboard graphics like their A-line of chips.

It isn't important. APU is a term AMD invented, still CPU + iGPU... Just with a fancy name.

This is a signature.

Wauw, so many replies!

Plugging the cable into the motherboard doesn't do anything, the monitor will say "no signal" and in the UEFI BIOS I cannot find an enable nor disabled button for the iGPU. I have no idea whether it's been working along the 295X2 from the start, since this is a fresh build. It's has never been booted up without anything else but the 295X2 inside.

I'm gonna download the iGPU's latest drivers, just to be sure.

Anyone other suggestions? :)

After installing the drivers it worked! Plugging it in and BOOM... different colors? Different resolution? Whuaaat? O well, idc, it's only for 1 day :D

Thanks guys!