Savagely good or bad?

Greetings!

(sorry for the terrible pun!)

I have recently viewed the Kingston "Savage" series (memory & SSD) and I am thinking of including both in my first build

They look sweet, but do they perform well? 

Please leave feedback, help & constructive criticism in the comments!  :)

http://www.kingston.com/en/hyperx/ssd#shss3

http://www.kingston.com/en/hyperx/memory/savage

All i can say is that Kingston is one of the best when it comes to RAM and SSD's.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Attack the competition with HyperX® Savage memory. Its unique, asymmetrical red heat spreader is made from high-quality aluminium and has a black PCB and a diamond cut finish to make your game shine and help you stand out in the crowd. The heat spreader dissipates heat so that your system stays cool and reliable and its low profile fits under oversized CPU coolers. Built-in, hand-tuned XMP profiles mean that even noobs can overclock their platforms with simple adjustments in BIOS. 

well, RAM wont effect much (there's not much difference to be made between different sticks), it will work about as well as any other reputable brand

SSD, Kingston make good ones (the more recent version of the V300 not so much) but everything else is about on par with the best, aside from Intel's overboard ones, which are frankly ridiculous

EDIT: hang on, scrolled to the bottom and couldn't help but notice:

I think we've seen this guy before:

Why choose a PCIe SSD?

Speed is just one of the many benefits of choosing a PCIe SSD over a SATA solid-state drive.
WRA2I13GMkg.png

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Attack the competition with HyperX® Savage memory. Its unique, asymmetrical red heat spreader is made from high-quality aluminium and has a black PCB and a diamond cut finish to make your game shine and help you stand out in the crowd. The heat spreader dissipates heat so that your system stays cool and reliable and its low profile fits under oversized CPU coolers. Built-in, hand-tuned XMP profiles mean that even noobs can overclock their platforms with simple adjustments in BIOS. 

"even noobs"

Thanks, HyperX

Their RAM is fine, but not worth spending extra for - just get whatever is cheapest at the speeds and voltages you want. Or with the right color scheme, if that matters to you.

Their SSDs are generally poor value for money - the V300 is a scam and the Savage is overpriced.

Their RAM is fine, but not worth spending extra for - just get whatever is cheapest at the speeds and voltages you want. Or with the right color scheme, if that matters to you.

Their SSDs are generally poor value for money - the V300 is a scam and the Savage is overpriced.

stop saying the v300 is a scam...its running at the rated speeds.

stop saying the v300 is a scam...its running at the rated speeds.

They released it with fast NAND, got great reviews, then changed to slow NAND without telling anyone. That's a scam.

The rated speeds are irrelevant since you can never judge performance on official ratings anyway.

I have not heard of this, can someone enlighten me?

I have not heard of this, can someone enlighten me?

Anandtech has an article about it:

Kingston did say that they considered updating the name to V305 or similar to distinguish the two but in the end decided against that. In our talks we agreed that it wasn't a very good decision. It's not fair to sample media with one thing and then later start selling something else. Not everyone reads reviews but the buyers who do expect a certain level of performance and it's obvious that they will feel cheated if their unit performs significantly worse. I hope this is just a one-time occasion because that's perhaps excusable, but if this becomes a habit things will start to be fishy. Ultimately, the V300 wasn't a particularly fast SF-2281 SSD when it launched, but with the NAND update it's become quite a bit slower than other alternatives.

They released it with fast NAND, got great reviews, then changed to slow NAND without telling anyone. That's a scam.

The rated speeds are irrelevant since you can never judge performance on official ratings anyway.

they had a shortage on the slower NAND so they put that in, even tho they didnt have to. the v300 is to replace a hard drive in a laptop etc so its not so fragile and more silent.

if you buy a ford focus and it comes preinstalled with a audi v8 engine in it because they didnt have their own engines yet and then the later scews they put in the right engine,is that a "scam"

Wow, how trivial! It does seem that Kingston has made a flaw here. Did they publicly acknowledge it?

(they as in Kingston)

they had a shortage on the slower NAND so they put that in, even tho they didnt have to. the v300 is to replace a hard drive in a laptop etc so its not so fragile and more silent.

if you buy a ford focus and it comes preinstalled with a audi v8 engine in it because they didnt have their own engines yet and then the later scews they put in the right engine,is that a "scam"

Yes, that would be a scam if they sent review samples to reviewers with the Audi V8 engine, and then quietly switched to a much weaker straight 4 engine later on.

Everything would have been fine if they'd either put in equivalent NAND (not much slower stuff) or made some change to the model name.

Wow, how trivial! It does seem that Kingston has made a flaw here. Did they publicly acknowledge it?

They answered questions from eg. Anandtech, but I don't think they said anything about it otherwise.

Honestly, I wouldn't have expected this from Kingston, seeing that they have a high level of consumer credibility. Stuff happens I guess.

Honestly, I wouldn't have expected this from Kingston, seeing that they have a high level of consumer credibility. Stuff happens I guess.

the V300 thing seems to be a 1-off, although, Kingston also did THIS

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

the V300 thing seems to be a 1-off, although, Kingston also did THIS

I would get my eyedropper.....if I could see. :blink:

Long time ago and for single, lowest end product line. And for that, every idiot keeps flaming them.

Savage is older product line. Current line that has similar design and target audience is Fury. Their other SSDs like Fury and HyperX 3K are also good. I have HyperX 3K for almost 2 years without any issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Long time ago and for single, lowest end product line. And for that, every idiot keeps flaming them.

Savage is older product line. Current line that has similar design and target audience is Fury. Their other SSDs like Fury and HyperX 3K are also good. I have HyperX 3K for almost 2 years without any issues.

Yeah the v300 is old and I own one ( the original NAND ) people keep bringing that up even when I say it happened once and was their lowest tier product.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yeah the v300 is old and I own one ( the original NAND ) people keep bringing that up even when I say it happened once and was their lowest tier product.

Not so long ago I urged another user to find some new review to prove that V300 is still bad. I'll be waiting long for those links.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Not so long ago I urged another user to find some new review to prove that V300 is still bad. I'll be waiting long for those links.

Yep, all V300 series now are good but they say you may get a bad one so just don't.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It's not a long time ago when the V300 is still being sold. It's a current product.

The Savage SSD is not an older product, they launched it like one or two months ago with the Phison S10 controller.

It's not a long time ago when the V300 is still being sold. It's a current product.

The Savage SSD is not an older product, they launched it like one or two months ago with the Phison S10 controller.

They released it 2012 November the 14th so it's old.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

They released it 2012 November the 14th so it's old.

The Savage? The Phison S10 controller did not exist in 2012. Here is a review from literally a week ago. They may have had another Savage in the past, but this is a new product.

The Savage? The Phison S10 controller did not exist in 2012. Here is a review from literally a week ago. They may have had another Savage in the past, but this is a new product.

I meant the v300.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ