GTX 980Ti Aftermarket Cooler Decisions.

SneakySam69

Hi All, 

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a EVGA ACX 2.0 Backplate GTX980Ti or wait for the other aftermarket coolers. 

They already have the Gigabyte version on NewEgg:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125787

But I don't know if I can trust that even if it's shipped from newegg...

So should I just go safe and buy the EVGA one or get the Gigabyte version?

In my personal opinion I'm wating to see between the evga hybrid (already released), g1 gaming (releases basically now), and msi gaming cards. Any of the three are likely to be very good.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Hmm what do u mean the gigabyte one releases now? No one has it execpt newegg and thats a little suspicious

G1 Gaming or Classified

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I'm either getting the Gigabyte or the STRIX personally. EVGA lost me as a customer years ago.

Asus-STRIX-GTX-980-Ti-with-DirectCU-III-

Ok then i guess i will order the gtx 980ti g1 tomorrow night

And may i ask what happened

Get EVGA!

EVGA is the best when it comes to protecting their cards after you own one.  Their customer service, warranty quality, RMA, etc.. is just so far above all the other manufacturers.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Get EVGA!

EVGA is the best when it comes to protecting their cards after you own one.  Their customer service, warranty quality, RMA, etc.. is just so far above all the other manufacturers.

Just make sure it has a back plate at $700.  ;)

Im curious how Asus's new triple fan cooler will do. Not sure if its called the strix. Im not a big gigabyte fan, the windforce cooler is friggin loud as hell. Yeah It keeps the card cool, but the other ones will keep it cool enough as well without sounding like a turboprop.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

And may i ask what happened

1. Overpriced models in comparison to competitors models

2. Lied about reusing older 700 series coolers on 970 series cards and covered it up until truth was shoved in their face

3. Ridiculous pricing for overclocked GPU models

4. Stingy with backplates when other GPU aftermarket makers include them in most of their models

5. Decreased warranty period that requires you to pay MORE if you want it extended vs what it used to be

6. Motherboard quality is still an utter joke amongst the industry

7. PSU's arn't much better

8. Banhammer happy moderation of forums

9. Send you refurbished cards even when your within 30 day window. They did this to me for just a simple faulty fan on two different cards.

10. Cooler designs are more hype then real functionality vs competitors.

And this is coming from someone who owned 3 evga GPU products since 2005, so im hardly trolling/anti fanboying.

2. Lied about reusing older 700 series coolers on 970 series cards and covered it up until truth was shoved in their face

4. Stingy with backplates when other GPU aftermarket makers include them in most of their models

5. Decreased warranty period that requires you to pay MORE if you want it extended vs what it used to be

9. Send you refurbished cards even when your within 30 day window. They did this to me for just a simple faulty fan on two different cards.

And this is coming from someone who owned 3 evga GPU products since 2005, so im hardly trolling/anti fanboying.

While I agree with you on most of this, number seven took me by surprise. EVGA's PSUs are among the best that money can buy and they are priced right, too.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

While I agree with you on most of this, number seven took me by surprise. EVGA's PSUs are among the best that money can buy and they are priced right, too.

Yup, GS/PS/B2/G2 units are great and are quite often the best deal around.

I can relate to this... as a former owner of two 760s and currently two 970s from EVGA... I am slowly being fed up with them, that is why I am selling my 970s and getting a 980Ti, probably MSI or Gigabyte

Yup, GS/PS/B2/G2 units are great and are quite often the best deal around.

Don't forget the P2 and T2.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Umm newegg's gigabyte g1 gtx 980ti is still out of stock...dafuq

I was expecting some real horror stories, but these are things which most of the companies have done to some degree. ASUS's DCUII 290/X cards are an atrocity. Im not sure if they lied about the fact they just grafted a 780/ti cooler onto a 290/X card with misaligned heat pipes with atrocious cooling results, but they still sell that complete POS to unsuspecting people every day(the DCUII was bad enough even on the 780/ti GPUs it was designed for).

ASUS in general tends to produce overpriced overhyped crap when it comes to GPUs, with a few exceptions. At least the cards designed for OCing that EVGA overcharges for can actually, you know, overclock well. ASUS charges the same prices for crap like the matrix platinum that dont overclock any better than a reference model. If youre gonna charge that much, at least bin the friggin thing like EVGA and Gigabyte do so someone doesn't pay a 200 dollar price premium for a complete dud overclocker.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB