Optical Drive nearly touching the Motherboard?

Guest Oakley
Go to solution Solved by Speakerator,

Is it really necessary to discuss whether or not OP may own a drive that is bound to short his board or not? There are hundreds of different drives out there, who cares....

OP, why don't you just fold around non-conductive tape around the edges of your drive? Even it is does touch your board any time in the future, it won't short out.

Pro-Benefit: electrical tape even makes plastic non-conductive  ;)

(though I do think that the edge of the board isn't that critical, BUT you get bragging right for a modded custom-color optical drive  :P )

@Op2mus: next time please don't open two threads: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/386994-optical-drive-nearly-touching-the-motherboard/

Though they managed to give a short answer there ^^

Hey guys,

I have a problem, my optical drive is nearly touching the motherboard on the top right side. Is this okay? Will my motherboard short out id the DVD drive happens to come in contact with it?

Thanks

It might do.

I'd make sure to put something unconductive on both places that could come close to touching.

Sig under construction.

usually optical drives are made out of plastic, which doesn't short 

Intel3570k  at  4.5ghz 1.300v  Noctua NH-D14    Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1   AsrockZ77 Extreme 6/TB4     Corsair8Gb vengeance memory    120GB Corsair Force SSD     1TB WD black      NZXT Switch 810

usually optical drives are made out of plastic, which doesn't short 

Have you ever seen the inside of a computer?

computer-optical-drive.jpg

The optical drive is encased in a metallic casing. Only the bezel is plastic. 

OP- put a piece of electrical tape between the optical drive and the motherboard.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

OP- put a piece of electrical tape between the optical drive and the motherboard.

I second this

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

but the back where the sata and power cable are is made out of plastic 

Intel3570k  at  4.5ghz 1.300v  Noctua NH-D14    Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1   AsrockZ77 Extreme 6/TB4     Corsair8Gb vengeance memory    120GB Corsair Force SSD     1TB WD black      NZXT Switch 810

Nope... 

ASUS-DRW-24F1ST-DVD-SATA-SUPERMULTI-Burn

Do an image search for SATA DVD and there's plenty more.

Nope... 

ASUS-DRW-24F1ST-DVD-SATA-SUPERMULTI-Burn

Do an image search for SATA DVD and there's plenty more.

and thats plastic

and thats plastic

The metal that folds over is going to be the part that's close to the mobo. Your original point is still invalid...

I thought that was very obvious but evidently I expected too much. I guess common sense isn't all that common.

If your optical drive is fastened securely and your motherboard doesn't flop around like a fish I don't see it ever causing a problem.

Motherboards work with such low voltages that there's really never a chance of any arc happening. Plus the upper corners of most boards are usually rather sparse in terms of components.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

And, uh, you don't see where the aluminum is folded over on the edges?

OP: If it's only "nearly touching," and it's secure in place, it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure it can't shift backwards at all. Screws tight.

Is it really necessary to discuss whether or not OP may own a drive that is bound to short his board or not? There are hundreds of different drives out there, who cares....

OP, why don't you just fold around non-conductive tape around the edges of your drive? Even it is does touch your board any time in the future, it won't short out.

Pro-Benefit: electrical tape even makes plastic non-conductive  ;)

(though I do think that the edge of the board isn't that critical, BUT you get bragging right for a modded custom-color optical drive  :P )

@Op2mus: next time please don't open two threads: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/386994-optical-drive-nearly-touching-the-motherboard/

Though they managed to give a short answer there ^^

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302