Need suggestion on setting up an WLAN.

SevantynauG

Hi guys, basically i would like to set up a WLAN for me myself and one of my friend that are staying right infront of my building which is 90M away from me.  ( I cant place any of the item in between. ) 

so yea, i am here to ask for you guys suggestion on is it possible for me to get a wireless router that support up to 90m?

or

do i have to buy 2 router that support up to 45m and an access point?

*Support 802.11n*

There are point to point bridges, but i don't know of any sorry.

If the distance is outside you might be able to reach it with a good enough router and some high gain antennas, but the signal might still be poor.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

there you go

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=64114&promoid=1025

you need 2 of these pointed at each other with LINE OF SIGHT.

(it quotes 20km point to point range, it should work for 100m...)

he ll still need a router to spread the wifi...

the best analogy for the bridge is that it s a wifi lazer, it doesn t spread at all but it has good range.

btw newer models exist)

and

(i heard setting them up was a pain...)

(never tried)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I know Ubiquity makes excellent point to point Wireless devices, but they might be a little expensive for your taste. Also, depending on where you live, make sure you're complying with regulations in place in your country. (I remember one WiFi troubleshooting for a client took ages to figure out because its neighbor was using chinese crap that was too powerful and radiating all over the place, disturbing all wireless communications around...)

I would go with a wrt-54gl from linksys. Load ddwrt and set up one as accespoint and the other one as a client Set to use only one antenna for tx/rx. Buy 2 beam (yagi) antennas and two 1 watt wifi amplifiers from ebay. Dont forget 2 tnc to sma converters.

A wrt-54gl can be found for nothing second hand.

Once done beam the two antennas to each other and add a accespoint at the other end for wifi locally.

i5 2500K | nvdia gtx480 | corsair 8gb ddr3-1600 | asus P8Z68-v/gen3 | Antec kuhler 620 | corsair TX650M | corsair 600d | WD10EARS hdd | lg ips 235 | 

A lot of people here are talking about line of sight. It's worth noting that the "line of sight" when it comes to wireless is not just "yes I can see it". You also have to take the Fresnel zone into consideration. It shouldn't really be that much to worry about over just 90 meters, but putting both against the floor and a wall would interfere quite a lot.

It's also worth noting that each repeater will cut your throughput in half. As someone else already said, a Yagi or a parabolic antenna would be your best bet if you aren't interested in repeaters anymore.

Where's the building that i am in, and where in relation your friends are to you?

A friend of mine is staying right in front and same floor of my building with zero item in between the building that can block the signal.

Do i have line of sight of the destination?

Yes, i do have a sight of the destination building as there's zero item that block the view between our building.

In addition, I can only set it up indoor (inside my house). :(

There are point to point bridges, but i don't know of any sorry.

If the distance is outside you might be able to reach it with a good enough router and some high gain antennas, but the signal might still be poor.

Its alright. 

It was awesome but then the signal might still be poor :( 

But still, thanks for giving me suggestion :)

I apologize for not stating the question clearly.

there you go

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=64114&promoid=1025

you need 2 of these pointed at each other with LINE OF SIGHT.

(it quotes 20km point to point range, it should work for 100m...)

he ll still need a router to spread the wifi...

the best analogy for the bridge is that it s a wifi lazer, it doesn t spread at all but it has good range.

btw newer models exist)

and

(i heard setting them up was a pain...)

(never tried)

I heard of this setup too!!! *high five*, but my friend says that do not go for this setup as setting it up was a pain. As a result a give up on this setup. :(

Is there any other solution that you can give to me :(

Cos im pretty new to this, 

I know Ubiquity makes excellent point to point Wireless devices, but they might be a little expensive for your taste. Also, depending on where you live, make sure you're complying with regulations in place in your country. (I remember one WiFi troubleshooting for a client took ages to figure out because its neighbor was using chinese crap that was too powerful and radiating all over the place, disturbing all wireless communications around...)

Yes yes, I agree with you about Ubiquity product. 

So yea, I was thinking of getting on of the PicoStation M. but im not sure whether it is a good choice or no. maybe you can give me your opinion about this?

I would go with a wrt-54gl from linksys. Load ddwrt and set up one as accespoint and the other one as a client Set to use only one antenna for tx/rx. Buy 2 beam (yagi) antennas and two 1 watt wifi amplifiers from ebay. Dont forget 2 tnc to sma converters.

A wrt-54gl can be found for nothing second hand.

Once done beam the two antennas to each other and add a accespoint at the other end for wifi locally.

It was a good set up, but I cant set it up outdoor :(

I apologize for not stating the question clearly.

Hi guys, i was thinking of getting an Asus RT-N66U and replace its antenna to 7 dBi antenna. Furthermore, place the router right infront of the position that my friend's computer is located at. Is it a good idea? me and my friend is 80m away from each other.

Its alright.

I heard of this setup too!!! *high five*, but my friend says that do not go for this setup as setting it up was a pain. As a result a give up on this setup. :(

Is there any other solution that you can give to me :(

Cos im pretty new to this,

i heard it was hard to setup but i never tried it i might be easy enough.

i think the person saying it was hard was trying to use these as an access point as opposed to a bridge.

but the good thing about these is they can be screwed on an exterior wall and it s powered over ethernet. you could also set it up infront of a window.(but glass is a small obstacle to wifi)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Yes yes, I agree with you about Ubiquity product. 

So yea, I was thinking of getting on of the PicoStation M. but im not sure whether it is a good choice or no. maybe you can give me your opinion about this?

I wish I could help you with that, but it's not my specialty at all. What I do know though, is that Ubiquity is well regarded in the networking community and that the quality is top notch. I'll ask my Wireless friends about it though, see if anyone can chime in.

+1 for ubnt products

"There's no test like production!"