is there room for heros of the storm?

Nathan

dota and league are saturating the esports scene fairly well, is there any room, need, or want for something new? 

heros feels a lot more casual of a moba than the others 

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

in my opinion hots has so little player impact that I don't see how it could become competitive. Good player and bad player can both be pretty good on hots because all of the little mechanics that define player skill are completely removed. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

there are so many esports games now, so no.

especially MOBA type games, too many/enough already now

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On a competetive level, I don't really see Heroes getting close to League or Dota.
The 'side quests' in each match of Heroes are one of the big changes I'm waiting to see how it falls out.

I play heroes of the storm for a bit of light fun when I have a little spare time, I don't really consider it competitive (well, sure, there is some competitivity and some skill to be had, but that goes for almost all multiplayer games). But to be honest, I vastly prefer it to lol (I haven't played much of dota 2 and from what I'm told, the time required to know what stuff does is more than I wish to dedicate to it). It's a game that knows what it is and doesn't have half-assed pretences of being a high skill game, which allows it to focus on being a fun game that doesn't take up a whole hour for a single match. I get my "fix" of competitive gaming with starcraft 2, and frankly I don't consider mobas to be anywhere near as entertaining to watch and as challenging to play (although to each their own). So from my point of view, heroes doesn't NEED to force its way in an overcrowded "competitive" scene, as long as there's a large enough player base to get matches in a couple of minutes I think it has its place. I hope it doesn't die off.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would say HOTS doesn't aim to penetrate the competitive scene. It shouldn't want to the way it plays out. It's great for casual MOBA players that appreciate teamwork. Upon first glance, what I really liked is that the community so far is not quite as toxic as LOL's. You can casually play a couple of games without any 12 year old shouting REPORTED UNSKILLED every game.

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P CPU: AMD FX 8350 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8gb (2x4gb@1600Mhz) GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x (factory oc) PSU: Thermaltake SmartSE 730w Case: Corsair 200R

Blog thingy <----

I actually find hots really fun. The monsters add a new element. But good team's can snowball pretty fast with the help of the monsters. Overall its very basic since you have no items. I think it will do well tho. It's not like it's bad.

Infinite crisis had nothing to separate it, so it failed. And EA's Dawngate also failed cause there was nothing new and there marketing was terrible to say the least..

Is HOTS of fun game?

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

dota and league are saturating the esports scene fairly well, is there any room, need, or want for something new? 

heros feels a lot more casual of a moba than the others 

Dota 2 Kappa

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

yep ^^

Thanks. I will have to get it tonight. It looked interesting from the trailers.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Thanks. I will have to get it tonight. It looked interesting from the trailers.

i found it to be fun to play, and the community isn't cancer, which makes it more enjoyable

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

i found it to be fun to play, and the community isn't cancer, which makes it more enjoyable

I will not be able to play it that much because I'm working full time and going to college full time in the fall.

There is room, but is there any point? I don't think so. Dota, Smite and LoL all already have a really strong hold of the Moba fan base that it's almost impossible to get a foot into it now. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Having a blast so far.

The nature of the game itself is competitive, so you'll always find a certain level of competitiveness.

But it doesnt really punish you as hard as other games for being new or not the best, that's the key factor that can make it successful.

It encourage players to help each other, because it's really the only way to win, you cant get carried.

Also it's great to have matches rarely lasting more ~25min, whereas other games seems to drag you forever.

I do not particularly enjoy watching Dota/LoL matches because of it, and as someone mentioned before, if I wanted to watch something really competitive I'd watch Starcraft.

It's really fun to play and to watch, you can get into a team fight literally within the first 2min of the match.

I have played it very casual just doing my daily quests in quick match, or going full in for hours when ranking up in hero league.

The community seems to understand this philosophy and you can have a look here for example:

Hope this helps :)

The simplified approach to character design, resources, and map control all work for HOTS.

I think it makes the most sense out of all of the traditional mobas. Let's be real. Why bother having mechanics to measure "player skill" like creep score, denial, etc. when 90% of the damage in games like Dota2 or League is skill-less?

Heroes of the Storm does one thing very, very well. It gets you on a character and into a teamfight. IMMEDIATELY. Makes it a lot more fun to just jump in and play for a while.

I think the community will find ways to make it more competitive. You don't need to be handed "competitive mechanics" for your game to be a competitive game. Look at Pokemon. Giant competitive scene, but the core mechanics of the game aren't even remotely built for competitive play.

If the community enjoys it enough, I'm sure you'll see a competitive scene. Not like a game needs one to be good or anything...

Git Gud.

Used to play League. Tried DotA. Currently playing HotS on occasion, but only with friends.

MOBA market is oversaturated as it is

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220