Upgrading from Kit lens

I have had a Nikon D3200 for about a year and a half now with the 18-55mm kit lens. They are amazing but in certain situations not ideal e.g. not much zoom or can't get everyone into a picture. So I am looking to invest into obtaining some lens for this entry level DSLR. I checked the second hand shops, they go cheap but I run the risk of obtaining a lens with scratches. Please recommend me (The noob in photography) on which lens I should go for, what would be ideal for this camera.

What do you like to shoot? Also try zooming with your feet and legs that works for me. Budget would help too.

I have the same camera as you too, its a little gem init. My first lens I bought for it, was a 35mmf1.8 after doing some reading up and asking around as most of what I take pics of are portrait's. Wish I waited a bit as after blitzing 20,000+ pics with it, I realise I'd be better off with a 50 or 70mm for portrait's. Landscapes is what I want more pics of and the lens that seems to get recommended is a 10-16mm. But I can't comment on that as I don't have first hand experience.

EDIT: if you can't get all the people in, with the kit lens @18mm your far too close also if you did get them all in the frame they would look very distorted.

CPU: I5-4440 / MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H / RAM: G.Skill ripjaws 2x4GB / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, 1TB WD HDD / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: Xigmatek Aquila / Monitor: Dell U2414H

My first purchase was the 50mm prime 1.8. Amazing little cheap lens (Canon). 

Nothing to see here - move along.

For Nikon DX the general recommendation for a second lens is the 35mm 1.8G DX. This lens will be great as a "Standard" lens, good enough to walk about with, it's not wide enough that you're uncomfortably close but also not tight enough that you can still interact what you're shooting. Great optics and good for low light.

Next recommendation is 18-200, this is the street sweeper lens, the do it all lens. It's especially great for travel or casual shooting. It's wide and tight at the same time which means no changing lenses. :) Great for the lazy photographer.

Speedlight, yes I know it's not a lens but it's a great tool that can transform your photography way more than any lens. White walls and ceilings become giant soft boxes.   

With lenses and scratches, honestly a small scratch don't really bother me. If it's on the glass then i'd use it as a bargain chip to get it at bargain basement price. If you're shooting anything below f16/f22/32 most scratches on the front element won't show up unless they're really big. Just take a few test shots and look for it, (bring your laptop for bigger screen) if you can't see it on your image than who cares? If it's on the barrel, than it's probably okay, stuff get's scratches from use it's normal. Check the front filter thread, that's the indicator of if it's been dropped or not, a dented front filter thread probably means the lens has been dropped. 

Some tips on buying used:

1) Used shops are good for security but tend to price at the high end of the used market, if you find things on local kijiji or Craigslist you can probably get away 10-30% cheaper than in stores 

2) Insist for receipt and box, If they have at least the box you're probably good (b/c who robs the box when they rob camera gear?) 

3) Look at the general condition of the lens, especially the filter thread area. Usually if the lens has been dropped it  dings the filter thread first.

4) Zoom the lens through the entire range back and forth a few times, does it feel right? It should be smooth and rotate freely without much effort.

5) Open up the caps on both sides of the lens, there's a little level on the back, it's okay if you push it up, you should see the rapture blades open and close, make sure their action is good

6) Open the aperture to max (using the lever) and shine a flashlight (phone one works) down the lens, view the lens from both front and back, the light will help illuminate any imperfections. Dust is okay, every lens will have dust in it, any big scratches or weird "growths" inside the lens don't buy it. The growths is probably fungus which can transfer to other gear in your bag. 

7) Make sure it auto focuses, mount the lens and put the front cap on, any weird sounds or vibrations? Does it hang in one area? It should go from infinity to near back to infinity. 

8) Trust your instincts. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently in the same situation Nikon D3200 + 18-55mm kit lens. I am considering to go with a Nikon 18-105mm ED VR + CPL filter (I do a lot of nature photography).

Has anybody some experience with the 18-105mm ? I certainly don't want to spend 1000 bucks for a lens next to my entry level camera and I get that the lens can last me many camera generations argument.

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green