Skateboarding

jayctech

Moving to London for uni, seems better than carrying a bike on the trains so looking for info on how to get started.

Looking for:

• brands to buy
  • brands to avoid
  • guides to "learn"

Thanks in advance. ^_^

are you just going to cruise or do tricks ?

if just cruise , look into a longboard

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I suggest a longboard if you are looking for carriable transportation. id recommend a board but i bought mine custom made from a guy. the one below is not mine. 

pintail-blue-iso.jpg

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

are you just going to cruise or do tricks ?

if just cruise , look into a longboard

Cruise since it'll mainly be transport but what's it like carrying a longboard around?

I suggest a longboard if you are looking for carriable transportation. id recommend a board but i bought mine custom made from a guy. the one below is not mine. 

pintail-blue-iso.jpg

Okay cool. What kind of weight are they typically?

Moving to London for uni, seems better than carrying a bike on the trains so looking for info on how to get started.

Looking for:

• brands to buy
  • brands to avoid
  • guides to "learn"

Thanks in advance. ^_^

Do you know how to properly skateboard? 

If yes: Get a shorter cruiserboard with a kick-tail and add bones reds bearing for added speed. the shorter board will help with carrying and the kicktail (provided you know how to skateboard properly) will be invaluable in maneuvering.

If no or bad at skateboarding: You can either spend time to learn or you can not bother all together and just stick with a bike because it is a lot easier. If you are determined to learn, dont expect your commutes to be very fast or easy or fun. It can be challenging commuting with a skateboard and unless you are definitely up for the challenge, find another way to commute.

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Looking for:

• brands to buy
  • brands to avoid
  • guides to "learn"

Thanks in advance. ^_^

So when you want to get a longboard: Since you just want to get from A to B and carry it on a train, look into a short Board ~80cm (any shape you like, I prefer the normal skateboard shape), get yourself some 150mm trucks (e.g. Indys which fit the width of your board, Randal 150mm, Paris 150mm etc.), also some soft wheels (e.g. Abec 11 ZigZags 78-80a in 66/70mm).

It's basicly similar to my allround-board, very agile, fast/forgiving to hard/bad ground!

So when you want to get a longboard: Since you just want to get from A to B and carry it on a train, look into a short Board ~80cm (any shape you like, I prefer the normal skateboard shape), get yourself some 150mm trucks (e.g. Indys which fit the width of your board, Randal 150mm, Paris 150mm etc.), also some soft wheels (e.g. Abec 11 ZigZags 78-80a in 66/70mm).

It's basicly similar to my allround-board, very agile, fast/forgiving to hard/bad ground!

Thanks I'll have a look into this.

Do you know how to properly skateboard? 

If yes: Get a shorter cruiserboard with a kick-tail and add bones reds bearing for added speed. the shorter board will help with carrying and the kicktail (provided you know how to skateboard properly) will be invaluable in maneuvering.

If no or bad at skateboarding: You can either spend time to learn or you can not bother all together and just stick with a bike because it is a lot easier. If you are determined to learn, dont expect your commutes to be very fast or easy or fun. It can be challenging commuting with a skateboard and unless you are definitely up for the challenge, find another way to commute.

Part of the request was for links to some guides to learn. :)

Not gonna stick with a bike because the foldable ones are total shit and the big ones are just obnoxious on underground trains. That and I hate biking. The skateboarding will only cover distances I would otherwise walk. Maybe a bit longer.

Add one to your list:

• Nice health care plan with reasonable deductibles

Trust me you're gonna need it: I never known a serious skater that didn't broke bones in a gross, spectacularly painful way.

-------

Current Rig

-------