[Noctua question] Which Noctua Fans for my R5 Case

nodim666

Which Noctua 140mm fans i should use for my R5?

2Would be front intake and  1 in the back as exahust

thanks

Fractal Design Define R5~ Asus Maximus VII HERO~ i7-4790k@ 4.7 GHz. ~ GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming ~ 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 HZ. ~ Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Coolermaster V Series 1000W~ Noctua NH-D15+ Noctua NH-A14 FLX x3-   BenQ's XL2420G Monitor  - Steelseries APEX M800 / Zowie EC2-A / Zowie G-SR

i don't think so, the h440 which has taller room for fan only fits 3x 120mm nothing more

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

i don't think so, the h440 which has taller room for fan only fits 3x 120mm nothing more

Oh

Thats not what i planned [emoji14]

What should i do?can iremove the fractal design front 140mm fan and put

Three 120mm fans?

Or maybe i should juat add one more 140 fan in front?

Fractal Design Define R5~ Asus Maximus VII HERO~ i7-4790k@ 4.7 GHz. ~ GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming ~ 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 HZ. ~ Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Coolermaster V Series 1000W~ Noctua NH-D15+ Noctua NH-A14 FLX x3-   BenQ's XL2420G Monitor  - Steelseries APEX M800 / Zowie EC2-A / Zowie G-SR

I'd add a second 140.

If your PSU is short enough for you to use the bottom fan mount, that would allow you to have the third fan.

If you don't have the R5 yet, might I suggest the Define S? 3x140 (Or 120) in the front. Though you lose 5x HDD bays and the 5.25" bays.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Oh

Three 120mm fans?

the r5 don't fit 3x 120 so defiantly 2x 140 

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

I'd add a second 140.

If your PSU is short enough for you to use the bottom fan mount, that would allow you to have the third fan.

If you don't have the R5 yet, might I suggest the Define S? 3x140 (Or 120) in the front. Though you lose 5x HDD bays and the 5.25" bays.

Hey

Psu will be coolermaster v850

I might just afd another 140mm fan

Do you know which fan module they use?

For the define S i do need 1 optical bay atleast for a dvdrw but i will go check this module and see if its worth give up the opticalbay for it

You should be able to fit at least a 120 in the bottom of an R5 or S.

As for the included fans, they're Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14's. There are both white and black balded versions, and they have a 120mm variant called GP-12.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

You should be able to fit at least a 120 in the bottom of an R5 or S.

As for the included fans, they're Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14's. There are both white and black balded versions, and they have a 120mm variant called GP-12.

I might juat get another FD dynamic gp-14 to the front and thats it

Two 140mm front intake and one 140mm exahust in the back

I just want to make sure my case will have good airflow/temps because i will OC the CPU/GPU

If you have a diffrent case that worth look at

Let me know

Here's a crappy phone pic of the R5 with dual 140mm fans (I ditched the fractal fans and went with BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 in mine).  You're really not going to get anything more than that in there. 

post-139790-0-80170000-1434093007.jpg

Actually, those drive bays above the fans are 84 x 159.8mm, so with a little sanding to the fans and the case (a tenth here, a tenth there) and some custom mounts you should be able to add a pair of 80mm fans in there.

Here's a crappy phone pic of the R5 with dual 140mm fans (I ditched the fractal fans and went with BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 in mine).  You're really not going to get anything more than that in there. 

attachicon.gifR5_dual_140.jpg

Actually, those drive bays above the fans are 84 x 159.8mm, so with a little sanding to the fans and the case (a tenth here, a tenth there) and some custom mounts you should be able to add a pair of 80mm fans in there.

hey m8 thanks for the photo

did you removed the 140mm fractal fan aswell?

i think i might remove the 140mm front fan and put 2 Noctua fans instead 

but what about the back fan ? 

hey m8 thanks for the photo

did you removed the 140mm fractal fan aswell?

i think i might remove the 140mm front fan and put 2 Noctua fans instead 

but what about the back fan ? 

I removed that one as well and put a BeQuiet 140mm in its place.  You should be able to do the same thing with the 140mm or 120mm Noctua fans.

The rear one has long sliders, so you can position it at any height you want really.

post-139790-0-33719300-1434096538.jpg - - post-139790-0-96283800-1434096547.jpg

I removed that one as well and put a BeQuiet 140mm in its place.  You should be able to do the same thing with the 140mm or 120mm Noctua fans.

The rear one has long sliders, so you can position it at any height you want really.

attachicon.gifR5_rear_fan_in.jpg - - attachicon.gifR5_rear_fan_out.jpg

Thanks

do you have any idea which 140mm noctua fans i should go with ? so many modules for  that company you get lost easy

I honestly have no idea, I'm really more into BeQuiet than Noctua.  However there are plenty of people who know the entire Noctua range by heart, so they're better suited to answer that. 

Perhaps change the title to "which noctua fans for my Define R5?" or add "[Noctua question]" behind the title.   That should draw them in.

To chance a title, edit the first post and go to the full editor.  There you can change it, it should be just above the main text window.

I honestly have no idea, I'm really more into BeQuiet than Noctua.  However there are plenty of people who know the entire Noctua range by heart, so they're better suited to answer that. 

Perhaps change the title to "which noctua fans for my Define R5?" or add "[Noctua question]" behind the title.   That should draw them in.

To chance a title, edit the first post and go to the full editor.  There you can change it, it should be just above the main text window.

done,thanks.

btw i cant get bequiet in my country so its not an option and only Noctua can compete with them :)

Oh

Three 120mm fans?

Personally, i would put the two fractal design fans in the front and then put a noctua in the back. Having a negative pressure is actually pretty good in the R5.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Personally, i would put the two fractal design fans in the front and then put a noctua in the back. Having a negative pressure is actually pretty good in the R5.

I was thinking about remove the FD fans and put 3 Noctua nf-a14 fans

2 intake front

1 exahust back

I was thinking about remove the FD fans and put 3 Noctua nf-a14 fans

2 intake front

1 exahust back

I was thinking of the same thing with my own case but i found that it is actually better with the stock fans. Let me explain. The front intakes with the door is very restrictive. You can tell just by putting your hand behind the front fan while it is spinning. I decided to by an Aerocool DS 140mm fan to replace the front Fractal Design fan, but after installing it, I was utterly disappointed because even at full RPM, with the door closed, it had even less airflow than the default Fractal Design fan! Not to mention that the Fractal Design fan is almost completely silent even at full RPM. So i decided to take advantage of the Aerocool fan's performance by mounting it in the back. That way, even running all fans at only 7v, my computer was so quiet I can't tell if it's on. Yet, it get very impressive airflow throughout the whole case because the Aerocool fan in the back does a extremely effective job at pulling air through the front side vents.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

I was thinking of the same thing with my own case but i found that it is actually better with the stock fans. Let me explain. The front intakes with the door is very restrictive. You can tell just by putting your hand behind the front fan while it is spinning. I decided to by an Aerocool DS 140mm fan to replace the front Fractal Design fan, but after installing it, I was utterly disappointed because even at full RPM, with the door closed, it had even less airflow than the default Fractal Design fan! Not to mention that the Fractal Design fan is almost completely silent even at full RPM. So i decided to take advantage of the Aerocool fan's performance by mounting it in the back. That way, even running all fans at only 7v, my computer was so quiet I can't tell if it's on. Yet, it get very impressive airflow throughout the whole case because the Aerocool fan in the back does a extremely effective job at pulling air through the front side vents.

Hey thanks for the update

I think noctua fans are much better in terms of noise and cooling than the fd case fans

But maybe your idea is better to go with if i want to save some money :)

Hey thanks for the update

I think noctua fans are much better in terms of noise and cooling than the fd case fans

But maybe your idea is better to go with if i want to save some money :)

Well, my point was, I wanted to replace the front FD fan with the better performing Aerocool fan (seriously, it moves A SHIT TON of air), but after installing it, I found that it even did worse than the FD fans due how restrictive it was on the front door. I think the FD fans perform so well because they were designed to be in that case... IDK. I don't know how a Noctua fan will perform in the same spot, but with many other fans that I've tried, they all moved only like 10 to 20% of the air the normally are able to move when there's no restriction.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler